Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: White SA man gets refugee status  (Read 2520 times)

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
Re: White SA man gets refugee status
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 07:39:35 pm »
oh and when malema runs to the newspapers and complains that the whites are racist because they werent celebrating at the airport when the athletes returned ... if you look at the photo there was 2white folks and 20 black folks on the picture.   That is about the right ratio.  if there was 4 whtie folks then it would be to many.

everything they say in the media is because of race, and you can see where this is going.. they are working people up.  there is either an election or something happening where they need someone to vote or protest for and its going to be about race.
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 06:21:17 am »
Well Said Ronald, what worries me is I think Malema is the guy that says what the ANC really wants to say but can't,  he is like an instument to them.

The reality is that they don't want us here anymore.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 06:21:17 am »

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 08:05:33 am »
Well Said Ronald, what worries me is I think Malema is the guy that says what the ANC really wants to say but can't,  he is like an instument to them.

The reality is that they don't want us here anymore.

oh absolutely F/M.. Now,  most people KNOW that he is the unofficial voice of the ANC,  and now alledgely he insulted ANC top brass and they arent happy with him.. come on... he picks on some person most people dont even know and leaves out Motata in his rants?  Now its only to get support from the media a little bit before he wants to make a more serious announcement  and he was acting like a clown and you cant make a seriaaas announcement when you behave like a clown.... His crowd will be right winging soon.

Its not going to be a nice place to be after 2011.. because they still have to "smile and wave" at the world because the soccer world cup is coming ... and that is where the world will see "how wrong everyone was" about the people of south africa... but lets face it,  there has been cricket and rugby cups held successfully for years.. this hype they are making is nation building and trying to make people feel good about an achievement.... but afterwards the gloves will come off.

Its going to be 1964,  all over again,  and where the dutch were brought in to do the high skill jobs,  the zimbabweans , namibians and botsanans will be brought in for the high skill jobs.

I am not doom and gloom, frankly I am not that bothered with it... i just took my kids out of that environment for them to at least get a good education, then they can choose to do what ever they like with their lives.. I wasnt going to get that education for them in SA.

My wife commented last night about how mathletics (its a program kids do at home to learn maths).. she mentioned that she is dumfounded how they expect our 5 year old to do things which is like way beyond normal.. like know how many days tuesday is from saturday and stuff..... i said.. welcome to the first world.. we need to up our game.. our kids wont be getting a bad education here in nz.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 01:56:00 pm by ronaldd »
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 09:07:14 am »
http://www.news24.com/Content/SouthAfrica/Politics/1057/d650579ebdba40d9853871500c2adf4a/02-09-2009-10-07/Huntley_Govt_wants_answers

i bet you its going to blow over quick..  this is bad publicity for SA.. the fact that they even said anything is supprising because every time they give comment,  it is in the newspaper again.. they would have been better of if they (the govt) just played dumb.
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline ryanrich

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 10:00:52 am »
I don't think all government schools in SA have necessarily hit rock bottom. I received a government education and feel that I didn't turn out too badly... Things are changing nowadays with OBE etc, but there is still very good schooling available...

I'm glad that refugee story is getting so much attention, more and more people are starting to realise the real story behind the "Rainbow Nation"! I'm curious to see whether the Canadian government sticks to the decision, or decides to gave in to the ANC's uproar.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:56:02 pm by ryanrich »

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 10:05:39 am »
Ryan,  SA schools in SA were rated amongst the top 10 in the world.
It is now rated bottom of 50.

The standards are higher in some countries.  I think education has also changed over the years.  The way we study now compared to the old days where it was a painfull affair of memorising and repetition is also different now.. but SA was in the old ways top of the class and it could be argued that it has not slipped backwards but the world has changed the methods of teaching kids.  There are study groups and media / internet which teaches us.. home schooling is easier than ever (in terms of getting content,  not that home schooling is easy in the first place) .

So , sorry if i offended you or anyone else who got an education in the last 15 years from the SA goverment.  Was not meant as an attack on you.  I just don't think it was what i wanted for my kids and what i want, i cant afford.
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline ryanrich

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 12:15:17 pm »
I definitely agree standards have dropped dramatically, and with young children I would definitely opt to have them schooled in a private school within SA, or a good government school overseas. I don't have children yet, but my plan is to do the latter...

I matriculated within the last 10 years from a government school in Pretoria, so perhaps I just made it? ;D

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 12:15:17 pm »

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 12:26:44 pm »
Ryan, I agree with ronald, I have 2 children attending school and I have to pay for extra classes for maths, science etc, good education it is not your right anymore. 

But luckily it seems as if you have made it mate! Your english writing skills are very good :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Offline ryanrich

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 01:24:58 pm »
I can likes to try! With mah trusty government issue high school diploma in hand... :D

;D

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 12:07:25 am »
Yeah,  come on guys, with all the hard work the goverment have done,  this is not fair .... like the Tui ad (if you are in NZ you will know what i mean)... Yeah right.

http://www.news24.com/Content/SouthAfrica/News/1059/0b2ef948450849bbb0fca4c8aefedbea/03-09-2009-11-04/Canada_wants_white_SA_refugee_ruling_overturned

Canada wants white SA refugee ruling overturned
2009-09-03 23:04

Toronto - Canada's federal government said on Thursday it was challenging a contentious Canadian immigration board panel ruling that granted refugee status to a white South African man, Brandon Huntley, who claimed persecution from blacks in his home country.

Danielle Norris, spokesperson for the Department of Citizenship and Immigration, said the government will challenge the decision before the Federal Court.

She earlier said department lawyers were studying the panel's decision.

South Africa had asked the Canadian government to appeal to the court.

Huntley argued that whites are targeted by black criminals in South Africa and that the country's government does nothing to protect them.

He claimed he was attacked seven times during attempted robberies and muggings.

No comment from immigration board

Tribunal panel chair William Davis ruled that Huntley would stand out like a "sore thumb" due to his colour and ruled that Huntley's fears of persecution are justified based on the evidence he submitted.

The Immigration and Refugee Board has refused to comment on the case.

Board spokesperson Stephane Malepart has said he is barred from commenting on any individual case by privacy provisions.

The board is an independent tribunal that operates at arms' length from the Canadian government.

No additional evidence

Norris said a judicial review by the Federal Court will not hear additional evidence, with respect to the facts, for example, about conditions in South Africa.

Anesh Maistry, head of the political section at the South African High Commission in Canada, said board's decision is wrong and belies the reality of South Africa.

Maistry also said the board never asked for South Africa's views on Huntley's claims nor did it seek to confirm his allegations of repeated attacks.

"This decision is incorrect, it is not factual, it does not represent the facts on the ground. It portrays South Africa in a negative light and it misrepresents the work that has been done in the last 15 years to build a non-racial society in the country," Maistry said.

It's about crime, not race

Abraham Nkomo, South Africa's High Commissioner to Canada, said the refugee board was taken for a ride in the matter and said that it's a crime issue, not a race issue.

"There is no persecution of the white community in South Africa. What crime does happen happens to targets of convenience," Nkomo said in an interview with the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

Nkomo met with Canadian officials and expressed surprise that Huntley was granted refugee status.

Deepak Obrai, Canada's parliamentary secretary to the minister of Foreign Affairs and a Conservative lawmaker in Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government, expressed outrage over the board's decision and said it showed a serious lack of judgment.

"Having grown up in Africa and witnessed the devastating effects of apartheid, in this case against blacks and Indians, it is beyond my understanding how a Canadian institution makes a decision on a racial basis," said Obrai, who was born in Tanzania.

2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 12:38:43 am »
so how can a dude who grew up in Tanzania have any clue what happened / did not happen / is happening / not happening in SA? It like me saying I know what is going on in Zim - all I know is what i hear. I have never been there so for all i know Zim is a wonderful prosperous nation with a caring, peoples person for a leader and everything everybody has told me is a bunch of lies.

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 06:32:54 am »
Well Said Nolan my thoughts as well.

EVERYTHING in SA these days ARE about race. I work in recruitment- I know.

This poor guy, he should have kept this whole thing to himself,  the sa goverment will fight this to cover up that nothing is wrong.  I really hope that he is still granted refugee status. The funny thing is that they don't want us here.

Why is it that the current injustice to the white people justifies the injustices during apartheid? It seems as if this guy from Tanzania is saying " it is your turn, pay back time" -" dis jou verdiende loon boetie" What about the coloured people, apartheid affected them too? He did not mention them.

These kind of comments are made in newspapers everyday, the hate towards white people is  obvious.

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 06:32:54 am »