Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: TAX Clearance  (Read 7980 times)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Re: TAX Clearance
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 02:47:14 pm »
We used to dub them "Telkom, Smellkom"  ;D
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline antonjl

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 06:57:54 am »
A quick question as I am on my way to SARS to submit general tax clearance form.
What do you fill in on the TCC 001 tax clearance form under 'good standing' 'please state purpose of this application'' ? Surely you cant say that you are immigrating.
I am sure this question was asked before but I cannot find replies....

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 06:57:54 am »

Offline antonjl

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 07:01:28 am »
Am I correct in thinking that general tax clearance form will be sufficient for immigration,banking etc?.....if you are not ófficially'immigrating.......

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 07:24:26 am »
Maybe you can say that you are going to be working on contract overseas for two years.  We did that when my hubby went to Australia.  We actually asked FNB to write a letter saying we had good standing with them and that we had told them we would be away for that period and that our account was staying open etc.  They were happy to do this.

Offline Shaz

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 02:27:04 pm »
Hi guys,

One of the best ways to handle your tax affairs is to join SARS efiling. It is a quick and easy process and you will then be able to submit your returns any where in the world as long as you have internet access. It is also quicker and one can track the progress of your returns. You can also load your SA bank account information and pay your assessments. To register go to www.efiling.co.za and follow the steps. Once registered you can also apply for your tax clearance certificate (TCC001) online under other services (additional services). If you are registered on efiling you have until 31 January 2008 to submit your returns. Everyone else has until end October 2007.

IF YOU ARE EMIGRATING:
SARS will de-register you once you have completed and submitted a tax clearance form known as an IT21a. If a resident is emigrating they have to, by law, complete this form. Authorized foreign exchange dealers are only allowed to transfer settling in allowances if this clearance certificate is issued. No banks are allowed to transfer the money without this tax clearance certificate. You are required to submit a MP336 (Request for a settling in allowance) with the IT21a. If you are not required by an authorized foreign exchange dealer to complete a MP336 form then you need a letter, stating this fact and the reason for not having to complete this form, from the dealer.

According to SARS you are allowed to take R 2 million out of the country. This is the maximum allowed and the balance will have to remain in the country.

The IT21a form can be downloaded from www.sars.gov.za Go to the forms drop down menu select IT forms and then scroll down until you find the IT21a form

Hope this helps you guys. f you are not sure you can always phone the national call centre on 0860 12 12 18 or if they cannot help you let me know and I will try and get the answers for you.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 03:02:27 pm »
Thanks Shaz, we need someone knowledgable on this side of things because it is grey area for most of us - the efiling idea sounds great  O0

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 03:42:57 pm »
Shaz do you work for Sars?

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 03:42:57 pm »

Offline Shaz

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 08:05:34 pm »
No I dont work for SARS but have my own accounting and tax business. I had to find this all out for a client a few months ago. I do all my family and clients tax stuff on efiling.

Badprop

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2007, 06:19:47 am »
Shaz thanks for that info.  It was a area of much confusion but this clear is up nicely.  Thanks for the form numbers too.  Nolan can you put them on the links for us?.  We will definitely use them later.

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2007, 07:45:47 am »
Antonjl, I have only recently joined the forum and came across your questions.  I hope that the answers are of some help.

1)Is a tax clearance certificate required even if you go for a LSD trip to NZ?
I doubt that it is required for an LSD.

2)If you then decide to stay in NZ and get a job how do yo handle the tax issue?
Give some one, your father, brother, that you trust “Power of Attorney” to take care of these matters for you.  First get all the forms from SARS fill them all out, sign (don't date – let the person with Power of Attorney do that)  You can get the forms from the CNA they are a minmal cost and there are two document per pocket.

3)Do you require tax clearance for bank to issue travelers cheques or transfer money into a NZ bank account?
You require tax clearnace for both yourself and your partner and are only allowed one bank account in SA so that the Reserve Bank can track how much money is being transferred to you.

4)What is max amount bank will transfer for you to NZ bank account? Is this taxable? If so by how much?
Not sure on the amount, discuss with your bank.  It is not taxable.  We are going to try to move our settling in allowance soon, and that is a large amount from SA not so great in NZ.  I can answer this once we have gone through the process.

5)How do you minimize taxes on your SA money when immigrating?
Unsure of exactly what is meant.  We never paid tax on SA money when we immigrated.  Craig also applied for tax exemption in NZ.

6)If you take travelers cheques with you to NZ what is max amount and how safe are they?
Rather try taking the new card.  You should be able to take R50 000 per child and R160 000 per adult as travel allowance.

7)Where is a MP336 (settling in allowance ) form obtained and how is this amount set?
Get this from from your bank – FOREX department, chat with the FOREX people, work with only one person they will explain it all to you.

8)What are the costs for submitting tax clearance form?
There is no cost to submit a tax clearnace form.  Make sure that you have your Current Tax Return with you as this is required.

9)What do you answer on form 'are you leaving permanently' and 'when returning'.....do you lie?
Don't lie, if you know the dates then put them in.  We admitted to leaving permanently.

10)Future residential address? If you don't know?
If you have an address that you can use otherwise state that you are unsure.  This can always be forwarded on at a later stage.  If you have a job to go to then use the company address, they don't mind, till you have a place to stay.

11)Does a person who have not worked in SA require a tax clearance?
Yes. I had not worked for 5 years and needed to do a tax clearnce.  This should be done while you wait, 10 minutes max.

:gl: :gl: :gl:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 09:43:03 am »
Thanks for the info guys.

Badprop, will do  O0

Offline Shaz

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 10:59:03 am »
Hi guys,

With regards to question no. 2 you do not need to have a formal power of attorney for SARS. All accounting practices send out letters to their clients who have to print it on their letterheads and sign it. You just need to address it to SARS, state that you give the following person permission to sign your returns on your behalf and to collect and obtain information from SARS on your behalf as well. Don't forget to put your tax number on the form. If possible do not put dates on the letter as you will have to do this annually. When people submit your return (if it is a paper return) they will need to attach the power of attorney to the return if they have signed your return otherwise SARS deems it to have never been received and you may then have to pay interest and penalties if it is late.

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 10:59:03 am »

Offline Feather

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 11:52:59 pm »
The SARS documentation has the place for appointing a power of attorney - Tax Representative - who can deal with any tax issues for you.  We filled out a SARS form making my father-in-law (fil) the Tax Representative for Craig, I had General Power of Attorney as did my fil for all other matters. So I was able to hand in Craig Tax Clearance and Current Tax Return and collect his Tax Clearance Certificate.  The lady who did his tax only dealt with business tax clearance and gave me some advice on what to do.  But it is all on the SARS form for tax clearance.

Offline Feather

• Resident
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2007, 11:57:37 pm »
We dealt the the Boksburg SARS branch and I never had any problem.  I never had to attach a copy of any power of attorney to their documents as every thing is on their forms, who the Tax Representative is along with his signature and Craig's.  Both the Tax Clearance form and Tax Return were handed in together by me, I was given a date stamped  copy of the front page of the Tax Return as proof that it had all been handed in.  His Tax Clearance was done with in a week.

Offline antonjl

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2007, 11:58:25 am »
Thanks for the info hclidaras. You know your taxes!  :clap: