Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Immigration Advice  (Read 10876 times)

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
Re: Immigration Advice
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2013, 01:25:19 am »
Hi Cleo and  :welcome:

No, you haven't overstepped the mark at all. We now have Licensed Immigration Agents from North Shore Immigration Services who can answer your questions.  :yippee: :yippee:

Offline peterjepwood

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 06:07:53 am »
Good Day,
There is a lot of great information on this site. In fact tons of information & great views on certain subjects. We are now allowed to discuss Immigration on this site as NSIS have 3 licensed immigration advisers and I can assist with jobs on the skills shortage list and point people in the right direction. How you follow through and choose an agent or not is a choice that you have to make.
I am an account and businessman. I used the old Protea Pacific Immigration Agency to come to New Zealand for Visa's etc. I was not prepared to take a chance on such an important matter. So choice. To pay someone money to do a good job is satisfying and takes the angst out of the procedure. Like trying to sell your own home, very few of us do that. Most people I ask, after they have been in New Zealand for a few years, would you have done anything different and 99% of them reply. "I should have come earlier" Good luck with your journey.
Regards,
Peter W

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 06:07:53 am »

Offline 2GatJakkals

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 12:52:10 pm »
That's what I also hear from people: that they would've made the move sooner if they knew then what they know now. 

The other thing I hear them say, is that they would've done it without the agent.
EOI selected Sept 2011, ITA received Oct 2011, ITA submitted 23 Feb 2012.
Job offer received 10 Apr 2012, Applied for WP 16 Apr 2012, WP issued 24 May 2012, Wife started working in Wellington 1 June 2012.
PR approved 18 July 2012, House in Pretoria sold Oct 2012, Arrived in NZ 1 Dec 2012

Offline Adviser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 09:59:59 pm »
Same old question "why do I need an immigration adviser?"
Why do we need a lawyer or an accountant? It is the same question. If you know what you are doing go ahead and do it.

You may simply not have enough time to research and understand the regulations in sufficient detail to ensure that you will obtain residence or/and any temporary visa.
You may wish to instruct your adviser to ensure you qualify and you obtain the required visas in a timely and stress-free manner.

Immigration is one of the biggest decisions in your life (my for sure) and everything is at stake until you get your residence label in the passport. I did go through the entire process without using any consultant and at the beginning I did too many wrong choices.

I had a recent case when family applied for residence and came to me with quite a nasty letter from Immigration NZ. And my advise was to have that application declined in order to have a right to go to the Tribunal. I won the case.  :coffee:
I am a licensed immigration adviser in real life. I do love what I do and how I do it. Peace!!!

Offline 2GatJakkals

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 02:06:57 am »
Adviser,

Immigration agents provide a valuable service for those who want to or need to, because of time constraints, because their case might be complicated, or whatever. We would be worse off without them.

But it's simply not true that it's all that difficult or dangerous to do it yourself. I did, and I had no problem whatsoever.  All the information I needed was on the government's website.  When we did have questions, Immigration was very approachable and helpful.

To insist on the opposite goes against the spirit that made this forum successful.
Job offer received 10 Apr 2012, Applied for WP 16 Apr 2012, WP issued 24 May 2012, Wife started working in Wellington 1 June 2012.
PR approved 18 July 2012, House in Pretoria sold Oct 2012, Arrived in NZ 1 Dec 2012

Offline Adviser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 03:32:07 am »
I'm not going to say that it's dangerous and under no circumstances do it yourself.  Filling an application form is easy even though I have seen people coming to me with returned application from Immigration NZ because people attached one photo instead of two. I guess it could be an endless debate.
I am a licensed immigration adviser in real life. I do love what I do and how I do it. Peace!!!

Offline vulpes

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 09:22:29 am »
It's not cool to scare people with, well you could do it yourself, but you might stuff it up and there goes your chances! When that's not actually accurate at all. And we had ours come back a couple of times with things not filled out or not attached, we just did as asked and sent it back in, no problem.

INZ are completely transparent. And the process is designed specifically for individuals to do themselves, not for a third party to do on behalf of someone.

I'm not saying there is no place for agents, because they fill a very necessary gap when someone has a difficult or very complicated case and may need someone to advocate for them (which we did in the end) but I know that our case was in the vast minority and was truly unusual. And even though we used an agent, we were also in contact with INZ ourselves directly and never had anything but polite, helpful, easy to understand requests. Not always easy to fulfil!!! But you can't have everything I suppose :-)
23/08/2010 EOI Submitted
25/08/2010 EOI Selected
10/09/2010 EOI Selection Rescinded
23/05/2010 EOI Re Selected
06/06/2011 ITA Received
27/11/2011 ITA Submitted
10/12/2011 ITA Rejected
16/03/2012 ITA ReSubmitted
11/05/2012 CO Assigned
14/09/2012 Phone Interview
26/10/2012 PR Approved
15/02/2013 In NZ

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 09:22:29 am »

Offline mbl77

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2013, 10:03:44 am »
We spoke with 2 agents before deciding to do things ourselves. The first was happy to take our money, and the second was honest and said our case was straightforward and he couldn't offer us any significant value. So we did it ourselves.

Offline 2GatJakkals

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 11:30:25 am »
It's hard to believe that INZ would turn down an application merely because it had one photo instead of two.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:37:41 am by 2GatJakkals »

Offline Adviser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 11:52:41 am »
It's hard to believe that INZ would turn down an application merely because it had one photo instead of two.

It was a failed lodgement application. I'm not saying that it was declined. There are people out there who are scared of actual forms or don't speak any English or.... Or...or.... Hopefully I am not to blame for taking advantage or anything like that... Lets put it that way. I'm going to restaurant to eat some fancy meal even though I can perhaps cook it myself despite paying more money to do so. At the end of the day it is a choice which is great to have.  ;)

Offline 2GatJakkals

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 11:52:01 pm »
That's actually a good metaphor: Going to a restaurant instead of cooking myself.

I would hate not to have the option of going to a restaurant.  But if the cook were to pretend that it would be unhealthy to have a meal at home - that I might actually do myself harm should I try to cook it myself, I wouldn't take him very seriously, would I?  I might still sneak into his joint to see the other people there, but I'd probably avoid his cooking.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 01:17:08 am by 2GatJakkals »

Offline grayburg

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2013, 01:58:44 am »
Informal family advice is fine as well as publicly available information. The IAA are trying to protect vulnerable consumers from an industry with a shocking record of ripping people off (which sadly includes South African "advisers" in SA and here in NZ). The overriding principle in my opinion is for anyone providing advice - even if you think it's friendly and kind - is to realise that someone might be making a massive life changing decision based on your "advice". All too often it turns out the "advice" is not factual and is just a recollection of personal experience or that INZ criteria has changed since our experience or that our criteria are not really the same as the person we are trying so kindly to assist. Equally, people need to realise that gleaning experiences off websites or friends is not a substitute for professional advice. The IAA are now forcing self regulation. If you think about it, this is why every professional usually has professional indemnity insurance - because they are accountable for bad advice. Having said all this the IAA only have teeth in NZ although their mandate says their oversight covers offshore NZ immigration advisors there is currently no way to enforce it except by not accepting applications from non registered advisers. My thoughts don't mean I agree with the new immigration landscape just a window for anyone not sure.

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2013, 01:58:44 am »

Offline Adviser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 02:14:53 am »
That's actually a good metaphor: Going to a restaurant instead of cooking myself.

I would hate not to have the option of going to a restaurant.  But if the cook were to pretend that it would be unhealthy to have a meal at home - that I might actually do myself harm should I try to cook it myself, I wouldn't take him very seriously, would I?  I might still sneak into his joint to see the other people there, but I'd probably avoid his cooking.

I would like to remind you about Japanese way of cooking Fugu. Could be dangerous though  :2funny:

Offline 2GatJakkals

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 03:55:36 am »
Ja well no faain, but a lekker snapper would do nobody any harm...   :whistle:

Offline Adviser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2013, 05:42:52 am »
That's why you go to restaurants sometimes. Fugu is a very delicious fish btw. :smitten: