Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Some updates on things that you would have done differently  (Read 5674 times)

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
Some updates on things that you would have done differently
« on: November 20, 2009, 12:32:14 pm »
Hi everyone,

I did read the previous post on this part of the forum, but I would love to hear some new views on what you would have done differently if you should make the move again......... I am sure that once in NZ, your views of what you would have done differently changes within time?  :-\

Hope to hear from all the experts soon!  :)

Offline addywads

• Hastings, Hawkes Bay
Re: Some updates on things that you would have done differently
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 11:48:04 pm »
I cant remember what I said last time!  But I would definitely NOT bring so much stuff with me.  I was too sentimental about stuff and now today we are cleaning out the garage and I am going thro boxes and thinking "why did I bring this rubbish?"  It cost me thousands to bring it across and now its going to cost me at the rubbish dump for them to take it off my hands.  Back in SA, there were willing hands to take it for free.  Especially the ladies, think very carefully about what you pack, be it clothes or kitchen stuff. 
Life is too short for regrets.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 11:48:04 pm »

Offline WalJo

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 05:39:24 am »
Ditto addywads!!!!!!!!! And if you don't keep it you have to clean it!!!! :clap:

Offline NicholaM2

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 06:22:48 am »
I would have spent more time learning the shop names here before I arrived in NZ. It was completely disorientating to see rows and rows of shops and not have a clue what they sell inside. E.g. The Warehouse, Spotlight, Farmers, PostiePlus, Mitre10, Bunnings, K-Mart, Food Town, Countdown, New World, etc. I knew about Pak 'n Save and that's about it! I'm not saying I go into those shops, but at least I know what they sell now - 10 months down the line.

So I would have worked harder at learning NZ things before stepping off the plane here.

Otherwise, I was well-prepared for stress, high prices, struggling to find a rental, a job, schools, etc. Be open for anything but do your homework on the small, everyday things like names of suburbs and products and shops. The small things do count.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 05:20:57 pm »
...... I suppose addywads is right..... bring less stuff.... But what would I have left behind and what would I have brought with .... that is still the question.... and I still don't know that answer. Cheers, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Shirls

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 04:39:29 am »
LOL love that one SAKB...

I would never have brought ALL my shoes and clothes with, I hardly wear them and summer is not long enough for all the strappy shoes I have... I would suggest bring more boots!

Also, wish I had told my mom not to let the movers pack the dining table my father inlaw delivered... it is too big, too heavy and has sat in our garage for the last 18months. We cant even sell it on Trademe... hint hint anyone?

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 06:17:15 am »

Hi,

But what if I don't pack all the summer clothes and global warming changes the weather of NZ and I did not pack all those clothes and shoes and we are too poor to buy others?  :crazy2:................. I know it sounds stupid, maar ag toggie my ou kleretjies- ek kan dit nie los nie! :'(

About two years ago, I lost quite a lot about 40 kg and I had to buy new clothes-(this was my goal) now I have very pretty things and I don't want to leave it behind!  :'(

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 06:17:15 am »

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 06:39:16 pm »
About two years ago, I lost quite a lot about 40 kg and I had to buy new clothes-(this was my goal) now I have very pretty things and I don't want to leave it behind!  :'( 

Firstly, congrats on a stunning weight loss..  O0  . Back to this thread. If you're asking me??? I say pack it all in, Doll. Pack it in. Bugger the fact that the older houses don't know what bedroom cuboards should look like. They give you a one door cuboard and think its enough for two adults.... eish, not even big enough for my jackets alone....lol.

Shirls, we have three cuboards in our garage that we cannot get into any house in NZ that we stayed in so far. The "plotjie" was big enough for the smallest of the three. But, allas, we only stayed there for 2 months. Didn't even get used to it in our bedroom and we were gone again....lol.
So, cheese and enjoy, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Mongrel Mobster

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 09:49:31 pm »
The only thing I would have liked was to make the move some years sooner !!!  :tickedoff:
Kind regards,

Edwin

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 06:10:59 am »
Thanks SAK- you have just become my favourite person on this forum!  ;) I am going to pack it all!

What are the dimentions of the cupboards that you took with you? maybe if we have that we can buy something smaller to take with?

Then another question for everybody..... should one take a 2nd lounge suite? we have 2 'cause I currently have 3 living areas (including the dining room).

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 06:53:53 am »
I was thinking about this,  because i didnt want to post the same thing over and over and say "i should have not brought a container"..... then i wanted to say ... exactly what edwin said.. but i could not really turn back time ,  or offer that as a suggestion because it wont help anyone really unless we invent a time machine.. and if i had a time machine,  i would go back and not need to move to NZ by "sorting out" some issues from the past by whispering in the right ears.

My wife and I agree,  we would not have spent alot of money on an expensive car.
I think I would have tried to go for a job that was more like the one in SA... but looking for work is very stressfull.. I took the first and only offer I got.  Now i am to scared to change that.  Short term gain,  possibly a long term loss.
I would not have used an immigration agent,  not because i think they are ALL sharks, but definately did not choose a good one.  I think there are excellent ones,  but the one we chose was not great.  It was a network of migration agents.. not to be to specific about the name of the agent.
We would gotten a short term lease,  with the option to move,  and not bring our container over,  and when we feel the neighborhood we are living in is nice,  we would have moved our stuff.  As it is now, we are happy with the area,  but we have not experienced all areas,  so how can i compare it. I am sure there are better and worse areas, but we only know this one now.
I would have come over on a holiday first with the family.  Ok , we didnt have money for that and migrating, it was all or nothing for us, but looking back,  it should be part of the plan.

What i think,  what i felt was wrong ....

i think the main problem i have with people on this forum, when i have problem with people(which is not often),  is when people paint such a rosey picture,  the future-immigrant feel so compelled to move because they think NZ is the solution to marital,  family, financial, goverment, world, universal problems, that they land here with unachievable goals.. that is why.. I do sound negative but i try to be a counter balance and it make me feel like a bit of an ar$e.. That is not my personality... i am actually extremely positive an optimistic.
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline moonbeam

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 07:42:13 am »
I don't often post, but something I would have done differently, is not STRESS so much about little things.  Now, I don't mean not to be sensible about finances etc... but I worried about EVERYTHING.  Like which car to buy, rules of driving, shopping and finding things that are foreign, trying to find the "post office" here etc etc.  These things just fell into place  O0
So, I would have focused more on things that were important and less on the little things that I would have learned with time any time anyway!

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 07:42:13 am »

Offline Anna007

• Browns Bay, NZ
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 12:16:30 pm »
ronaldd - ek geniet jou posts, ek ervaar dit ni as negatief ni  8)

frodo/maya - jy gaan nog lang trane huil oor jy ni plek vi als gaan he ni...so verskil ons almal nou maar van mekaar, maar meubel gewys en huisraad gewys sou ek baie minder gebring het (as ek di oefening we moes oordoen)  :-\

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for"

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 12:34:04 pm »
Ronald - You are not negative ! you are realistic and this is VERY important to me, if we are not helped with the negative experiences and perceptions, us poor sods on our way to NZ might be disillusioned as to what we can expect in the day-to –day things. I regard  your posts as honest and reliable. You prepare me for what might be a negative , but what could be a negative of NZ to me, can be something that does not bug anybody else. so bring it on- I appreciate it   O0 O0

Thanks for the lease advice- what is the shortest that one can get? why would you not have brought a Container?

Moonbeam- Thanks for the stress tip – I am a bit of a control freak, I am trying to mellow a bit   :-X

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 06:30:36 pm »
Thanks for the lease advice- what is the shortest that one can get? why would you not have brought a Container?

I think the short leases do end up slight more expensive,  BUT there are places where people go on holiday and then rent their house out while they are on holiday.  That could be a 2 month lease or even less.  It is a bit more moving,  but moving to the other side of the world and then landing exactly on the spot you want to live for the next 10 years... for me SHOULD sound unrealistic but it seems to be the norm. If someone said to us they are moving to South africa, our first question would be "where in south africa".  When they say johannesburg, we who know johannesburg would go "do you know where in johannesburg because its a big place and there are good and bad areas".  Yet,  when alot of folks move to NZ ,  they have 1 ander,  New Zealand.  Those who have friends who moved will usually add "auckland,  noordkus(north shore) at debruins baai (brows bay)" because the majarity seem to move there. Oh ,  the folks here in wellington refer to northshore area in auckland as "noordkus" because of the south africans. One collegue mentioned his sister mentioned that his nephew has a SA accent now because of the school he goes too,  and he is a kiwi.
Also, i think on the topic of renting a place that is fully furnished, from a family who has gone on holiday, living in their house, sleeping in their beds... seem extremely weird.  I think that is where our south africanisms jump out.  Take into account the following.  A young male, making enough money to buy a good car and afford the rent on a nice small apartment, living in SA,  will live alone,  and MAYBE he will have a friend or a girlfriend stay with him.  right?. For the folks here its different.  To buy a place and then live alone is unheard of. They fill up the other rooms with tennants.  So you would have 2 or 3 strangers living in the house with you,  paying rent, and you dont know them at all.  Some folks live like that for years and still dont really know the person who stay in the other room.  So, that is something you will experience here. 

I think after moving around a bit , finding how different areas and different schools, parks,  train trips, buss routes and all those things are, you should then make a list of areas you want to stay in ,  and then call for your container.

I think we are mostly extremely lucky to have landed up in good areas.  And even the bad areas are average areas on our scale of good and bad.  We all stayed in good areas in SA.

2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship