Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Some updates on things that you would have done differently  (Read 5673 times)

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
Re: Some updates on things that you would have done differently
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 08:08:45 pm »
Thanks SAKB - you have just become my favourite person on this forum!  ;) I am going to pack it all!
What are the dimentions of the cupboards that you  took with you? maybe if we have that we can buy something smaller to take with?
Then another question for everybody..... should one take a 2nd lounge suite? we have 2 'cause I currently have 3 living areas (including the dining room).

F/M - I hope you're not going to swore at me when you get here and you can't get your stuff into a house...lol.
The dimentions of the cuboards are as follows - 323X60 and we have 2 of them and then 1 @ 123X60 and that is the one that we got in the bedroom on the plotjie.
Some of the houses have 2 lounges and one is called a rumpus or rumpusroom some of the time. So you would be able to bring 2 lounge suites but I just hope it's not very large.... because we brought a suite that was a three seater, 2 two seaters and a one seater and believe me we battled to get that into some of the houses aswell.
I hope this helps, cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 06:09:35 am »
Jip SAK, if the stuff don't fit you will be in trouble  :knuppel2:  - just teasing. Thanks for the cupboard sizes, that will make it a bit easier.

Ronald- Afrikaans accent- that is  :2funny:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 06:09:35 am »

Offline LoveNZ

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 08:01:28 pm »
What I would have done differently if I had to do it all over again? I will make sure that my SA Driver license is still valid. Mine expired 6 month after landing in NZ, and yes, I did NOT convert, so I had to do learners and Full practical. Got exemption for Restricted though :). Did my practical yesterday, and at last I have a Full NZ driver license. For those in the process, make sure you SA license is valid, it will save you $200-00.... and a lot of trouble.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 08:15:20 pm »
Or convert ASAP when you land.
Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline stella.mike

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 08:52:14 am »
For us no container...........cheaper car..............bring the clothes because I do not love all the fashion here sometimes its a bit dull for my liking........ :crazy2:  and I would have make a bigger effort like you to lose all my weight before I got an the plane.  :2funny:  :help:

Offline WalJo

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 11:00:50 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong? When I came over in Oct 2007 my license expired in Feb 2008. It didn't make any difference to converting to NZ license. I only converted a day before my one year anniversary and had no problems. But if you don't convert before your one year not even a valid SA license is going to help. So if I'm correct, new comers shouldn't go through the entire ordeal in SA to try and get a license before coming over?

Maybe things changed since then.

Cheers.

Offline Terri_Tiger

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 03:43:35 pm »
I know this thread is getting old but I hope someone will still read it :-)

My husband and I hope to arrive in NZ in June 2012 and we have already decided to take very little with us... We are taking some precious keepsakes and our computers since they are pretty new as well as clothes. But what I really want to know is what would you recommend we take over immediately on the plane? So far I'm thinking:
All my winter clothes & warm shoes
ipod
jewellery

I have heard many say clothes are expensive, would you recommend buying extra things (jeans, trainers, underwear) and adding to the container?

Are toiletries very expensive? Is it worth putting new full size shampoo, toothpaste, contact lens solution in my check-in luggage or take small travel sizes and buy there?

What else can you all suggest?

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 03:43:35 pm »

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 09:34:51 pm »
Good quality clothing, like from Woolworths, is expesive, especially work clothes for women, and so is underwear.  I'd recommend buying underwear and extra clothing for the container.  Shoes, trainers etc are reasonable here from places like The Footlocker who have good sales.  And yes, bring as many of your warm clothes in your luggage as you can.  I don't find the toiletries expensive, but everything will be expensive if you're using rands.

Offline rodney

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 10:27:46 pm »
Good quality clothing, like from Woolworths, is expesive, especially work clothes for women, and so is underwear.  I'd recommend buying underwear and extra clothing for the container.  Shoes, trainers etc are reasonable here from places like The Footlocker who have good sales.  And yes, bring as many of your warm clothes in your luggage as you can.  I don't find the toiletries expensive, but everything will be expensive if you're using rands.
My wife was back in SA in December with the idea of stacking up with woolies clothes however she was so disappointed as woolworths prices have increased ridiculously and even discovered that labels indicating sizes were incorrect. (Medium labels sewed into large clothing).  They also did not have a lot of smaller sizes. The quality is not the same as it used to be.  She now goes to Kmart in NZ and gets some of the clothing that she would have bought from Woolworths there.

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 10:40:05 pm »
My wife was back in SA in December with the idea of stacking up with woolies clothes however she was so disappointed as woolworths prices have increased ridiculously and even discovered that labels indicating sizes were incorrect. (Medium labels sewed into large clothing).  They also did not have a lot of smaller sizes. The quality is not the same as it used to be.  She now goes to Kmart in NZ and gets some of the clothing that she would have bought from Woolworths there.

Oh wow, you are so right - just went onto the Woolworths website and the prices have increased enormously  :o  We've only been gone since late 2010 and I cannot believe it - and if the quality has gone down too then it's not worth it at all.  I find the quality quite good from Farmers for work clothes and their kids clothes too. 

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 10:50:07 pm »
And to add to the above, Woolworths carry the Country Road and Trenery brands which you can buy at Kirckaldies in Wellington or online.  I compared the exact same articles of clothing and at Woolworths the shirt is R799 and the same shirt here is $109, so cheaper here.