Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Once again.........the salary question? please help- seblief  (Read 9400 times)

Offline alwyn

Re: Once again.........the salary question? please help- seblief
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 07:38:00 am »
I for one will just be hoping that I will have time to enjoy the quality of life seeing that programmers have *** exhausting jobs the world over.

Offline alwyn

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 06:59:42 am »
The hours are about the same currently, but the intensity of the hours is what worries me. 

I think most people in other careers are delusional about how hard they work during their 'work' hours.  Programmers always appear to have it easy, you sit behind a computer the whole day and get paid well after all...  Of course many of them have it easy and give the rest of us a bad name :)

At my current job you focus all the time, your brain is constantly in overdrive as is the stress because every minute you don't make progress in the right direction you slip from your delivery.  A day or 2 behind schedule and you're basically dysfunctional from impending doom. 

Its scary but constantly reading, thinking, solving problems, writing for 8 - 12 hours a day is the most exhausting thing I've ever done in my life.  Under the wrong circumstances its also the least satisfactory.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 06:59:42 am »

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 10:48:22 pm »
Getting back to the case of buying your own home.  Some facts:
It doesn't matter who you are, where you are from, Kiwi or not.  You will need a 20% deposit.
We looked at that and then worked out what we were prepared to pay for a house.  Went to the bank and sat with them while they did the pre-approval for us. When we walked out we knew what we would be able to spend and that we wouldn't be paying out more than what we had been paying out in rent every week. This was our aim. Our loan is over 22 years at a great rate with Kiwibank.
The banks won't give you a loan if you don't have that 20%, and if you have less than $500 at the end of a month. This is taking everything into account (Rates, power, telephone, any other hire purchase like cars etc). We rented a lovely house in Redwood, Chch for $380/w. We now live in Kaiapoi, just 10min North of Chch and our repayments on our loan is the same, $380/w.
We didn't pay water while renting and don't pay water now either. It was the same when we lived in Dunedin, no water accounts.

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 01:27:22 am »
Having said that - this is Wellington and a small company - it could be quite different elsewhere or in a corporate environment.  Ronnie might give you a better indication as I think he works in the second tallest building in Wellington on a very high floor....   >:D

Yup,  if there is a bit earthquake,  i think its safe to assume i will be a casualty.  I am on the 31st floor in a building 1 block away from the faultline. 

The programmers here, including myself dont have a "chilled" life.  Its programming from 8:30 till what ever time you leave.  Its bug fixes and new products,  projects from various clients,  swopping between them.. all day.  By the time you actually get to doing the work you had Terms of References to write up,  diagrams and design documents to write up.   Then when you under estimated the amount of work ,  like i usually do... you end up writing code to meet expectations at a pace that makes you buzz still.  So i have spent less time on my home pc doing what i like because i am so tired of computers by the time i get home.  So ,  not all companies are the same,  I would not mind working in your environment but maybe their relaxed attitude is actually a sign of good management.. who knows.
Keeping to a deadline sometimes means you leave work at 8 or 10 ,  for weeks in a row.

The amount of reading is also obscene.

Not complaining at all.  I enjoy what i do alot.  Its a different bit of work than i used to do.
I love the stuff i do.  I talk about it even when i get home but no point in talking to schalk about it,  because he is a linux fanboy and i am a microsoft lover.  I stilll think i am happier than programmers who complain not going home at 530pm
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline alwyn

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 06:43:14 am »
I guess then the forum has 2 Linux fanboys now :)

Offline ljvanheerden

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 09:26:50 pm »
http://www.hays.net.nz/salary/default.aspx

I have found this to be rather accurate.

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 06:20:46 am »
Thanks ljvanheerden quite helpfull.

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 06:20:46 am »

Offline alwyn

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 07:47:16 am »
I have experienced 2 companies growing up and both turned out for the worse.

On the Linux side I had a stretch of about 10 years where I only used Linux, but now I'm working for the Windows shop from hell where the excuse is that I have to use what the customer uses (besides the fact that I use hordes of VMs).

I think we need a different forum to dish the MS guys.

Offline LoveNZ

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 08:16:02 am »
Ronnie, you need help my friend....I work for most probably the 2nd largest Microsoft Shop in the World, only MS itself it bigger... O0, need to tell the Linux guys....come on, its the 21st Century, and 93% of the world's computer generation can't be wrong >:D

Go Bill, go.

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2010, 08:27:24 am »
Well,  if you used VS 2008 or 2010,  and the Opensource people rave about eclipse being the great,  I think they are missing the point.

Microsoft technology is in almost every aspect of most peoples lives.  Desktops,  games, Multimedia devices,  mobile phones, Databases,  CMS, CRM, ERP, HR, Finance, telephony, education,  robotics, vehicles, embedded devices.  You can do absolutely everything listed above without using MS,  possible you could do everything using Opensource.   But if i compare Opensource Integraded Developmet Environments(IDE) with VS 2008 or 2010beta2.... Sorry,  but there is just no comparison.

You pay through your a...se for MS products,  but you get what you paid for.  Besides,  if a company can afford to buy something like Oracle or SQL Server,  then they can afford to pay someone good money to maintain it.
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline nNellie

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2010, 09:22:37 am »
Schalk:--Me writing while logged in as my wife - lol

Guys seriously, why are you on your horses  >:D  This post now looks like an MS vs Linux forum  :2funny:

I was just joking.  I am an avid opensource fan and have never undervalued the big MS contribution or denied the market share.  Linux still has a way to go when it comes to desktops, even though I use it I will admit it, but it is a fact that it is a different story on the server level.
Microsoft technology is in almost every aspect of most peoples lives.  Desktops,  games, Multimedia devices,  mobile phones, Databases,  CMS, CRM, ERP, HR, Finance, telephony, education,  robotics, vehicles, embedded devices.
Correction - Java, C++, etc is in almost every aspect of most peoples lives - it is how you choose to develop that makes a difference.  Ron has rightly pointed out his and most developer preference for VS - I just prefer the others.... >:D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:25:12 am by nNellie »

Offline LoveNZ

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2010, 09:30:14 am »
lets start a new topic for this, we are way off this one :2funny:

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2010, 09:30:14 am »

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2010, 12:09:14 pm »
yes boys .................start your own topic on lunix things,  :nono: you stole this one  :'(  I am still worried about the salary issue and you keep on talking about stuff that most of us ( I)  don't understand  :tongue:   

:confused:

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2010, 08:06:40 pm »
Thanx hannes and F/M, getting back to the topic at hand, salaries.
Salaries are *** allover the world. People never complain and say:"You know what, my boss pays me and the rest of the staff at XYZ company too much money for the type and amount of work that we do...  :2funny:   :2funny: NZ is no different.
My 2c worth... just to get the topic started again on the money side, Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Hopeful

• Auckland, NZ
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2010, 08:35:45 pm »
Actually SAKB, I know of 2 people who admit that they earn too much.  :idiot2: Definitely not me. Both in SA, one works for a quality retail store in senior management and says that they earn well above market salaries so that they can retain their experience (read into that whatever you want - I think you'd be right) and the other is a doctor in clinical trials who says she is embarassed by what she earns.  :P So there are people like that out there. Just not any of us unfortunately!  :(