Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: SA het my droom gesteel!  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Re: SA het my droom gesteel!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 10:10:54 am »
"Those very same people now would stab his friend in the back just to suck up to the Kiwis people and then call it "integration".  You dont have to run someone down just to fit in with your new friends. If you havent learnt that from school... "

I kinda understand what you mean here Ronald.  But, I think (hope) that the reason they are doing this is because they have suddenly been wrenched from their old lives into a new one and the only way they can cope is to try and be a Kiwi and forget who they actually are.  They are scared at being different. They will come around.

One reason I mention this is because of my attitude to South Africa and everything about it, including its people and even rugby team 5 years ago.  I had got mad about "having " to leave.  It annoyed me immensely that even thought I had always loved NZ (never went there, dreamt it with books, etc ) I was being coerced into this move because of crime.  We had both lost touch with the Springbok team which changed colour and coach as much as DH underpants.  So the first time we left, we decided that we would become Kiwi's, we would only support the  All Blacks, and the rest be damned. 

It took another 5 years of *** at home, of getting to know our Springboks again, of some maturity , to realise that our blood is much stronger than a Kiwi's and I love my country and my people.   I know that I will get flak for this, but us Saffers have such good, strong genes, and I believe that we are uplifting the gene pool in NZ  >:D :angel: >:D

My kids will always know their heritage, I will be bringing them up as South African Kiwis.  Yes, I will integrate very well with all as this is our style, having lived in Malaysia for many years, but we will always be South Africans.  Hopefully, my girls will see themselves as such and as I have always brought them up to be  wolves and not sheep, they will be proud of their heritage.  I am embarrassed that i thought the other way previously, and am so glad that i woke up.  Think my grandmother in Zim has been whispering in my ear at night from the heavens and setting me straight.   :)

Nnellie, when i mentioned Mandela's age, I meant a bit younger so that he could have done two terms in office, not a younger, terrorist, immature, Mandela .   Regarding older generation blacks, you would be surprised how many blacks and coloureds alike complain about it being better for them during the apartheid system.  I know this from when I stood in queue to get my drivers license for about 2 hours.  We were all talking and I was so surprised to hear them say that their kids were safer, their schools were safer, their neighbourhoods were safer.  It is all about safety, a word that crosses all colour barriers.  When we sold up and left, we had so many coloured people coming to buy things that said "You are so lucky to be leaving, I wish we could too . "

We know a lot of foreigners who have immigrated to  SA.  My favourite  question to them always was, "Why did you move here ? " Their answer is generally the weather.  So I hold up my hands to the sides like a scale and moving them up and down I say "Weather, crime, weather, crime ... mmm, is it worth it ? "

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 10:24:39 am »

So I hold up my hands to the sides like a scale and moving them up and down I say "Weather, crime, weather, crime ... mmm, is it worth it ? "
How many times were you robbed and hi-jacked?  What has happened.  Its always important to know why you are leaving.
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 10:24:39 am »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 10:43:14 am »
Never been hi-jacked, had a gang enter our garden when my daughter was 3 months old, the police wouldn't come, and my mom and I were trying to stop DH and my dad from going out as these gangsters are always armed.  We threw big rocks at them from an inside garden, and told them the police were on the way.  A few other minor mishaps that could have been major.  Cars broken in often.

But, live a life not taking CHANCES such as walking on the beach when there is no one there, early morning or evening walks by myself, shutting everything up, gating ourselves in with a panic button in hand, waking up to gun shots and putting the girls on the floor in case a bullet went astray. Always being scared.  I am not waiting for something to happen.  As my friend so eloquently put it the other day, 9 times out of 10 you will be fine, but it is that 1 time that will be so evil, so cruel, that is something you don't wait to happen to any of your family.

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 10:45:40 am »
Schalk ! I distinctly remember a personal chat I had with Koos Kombuis at the Grahamstown Arts Festival in 1990.  Even though he was a bit high on dope that evening,

We were there at the same time, my hubby was in the two man band that opened up for Koos.  What a small world this is.  He was always high on dope, and one night even left his guitar so they had to give him theirs.  He was a character though. 

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 10:50:16 am »
Never been hi-jacked, had a gang enter our garden when my daughter was 3 months old, the police wouldn't come, and my mom and I were trying to stop DH and my dad from going out as these gangsters are always armed.  We threw big rocks at them from an inside garden, and told them the police were on the way.  A few other minor mishaps that could have been major.  Cars broken in often.

But, live a life not taking CHANCES such as walking on the beach when there is no one there, early morning or evening walks by myself, shutting everything up, gating ourselves in with a panic button in hand, waking up to gun shots and putting the girls on the floor in case a bullet went astray. Always being scared.  I am not waiting for something to happen.  As my friend so eloquently put it the other day, 9 times out of 10 you will be fine, but it is that 1 time that will be so evil, so cruel, that is something you don't wait to happen to any of your family.

we also had a few minor ones.

I think you will laugh when you know that we forgot our front door open when we visited the south island.  a whole week and we forgot to lock the front door.  Nothing stolen nothing missing.. all right where we left it.
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 06:55:57 pm »
the judge says that we would all still prefer to be living in SA.....well, not me. Even if SA magically became safe, good economy etc I still wouldnt have the slightest inclination to return. NZ feels so much more like home than SA ever did. How could I leave?

I think for many people who live in icy climates a little bit of CT sun seems a fantastic proposition until you get a gun stuck in your face and then its back on that 747 to London Heathrow!

Offline expat

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 07:27:14 pm »
no matter who out witted who at the negotiation table at the risk of talking politics the time had come when the previoius dispensation could not continue much longer - with the collapse of the communist block the time was as opportune as it would get. bluntly put it is a question of demograhics - does not make it right or lekker but to fight it is worthless. Who knows how things will turn out on vairous time lines of 10 year periods.
Lets hope for the best.

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 07:27:14 pm »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 12:46:50 am »
What was your hubby's band name?  I went and watched them every year.  A very good friend of mine was related to Johannes Kerkorrel - so that is how we got in.  This conversation I am referring to was when they played in the basement underneath the school's stage.  I think that was 1990.. Was this the year you guys played there? Those were the days hey?  But let me not get "high" on nostalgia...

Kyle.  His band was small, just two of  them called Soundz Familiar as they played 70's and 80's covers.  Later went on to form a bigger, 5 piece band called Rough Riders, which played at the Vic.  With Koos in 1990, it was at the Krillion Hotel.  We were at university there, so were at all the Festivals.  Those definitely were the days. 

I wanted a way to tell my kids why we left Africa after 4 generations.  First Zim and then SA.  I thought the only way was to cut out newspaper articles and paste them into a book.  Since I never bought newspapers, I would do this every winter when i stayed with my folks in Natal.  That was enough.  I quickly filled up two books, and got depressed along the way.  And some of the stories are soooo horrific and inhuman, I seriously don't know if i can actually give them to my kids.  I was planning on only doing it when they were in their twenties, because the questions would come, the more serious ones.  Now we just say because of the terrible crime and leave it at that. 

Funny about leaving your door open Schalk.  When we first arrived 5 years ago, we had a house in Greenhithe, Northshore.  We twice left our door unlocked, and my hubby used to walk to the local dairy to buy smokes and a newspaper.  He noticed that the men there, on the way to work, would all leave their cars running, while they had a cup of coffee inside and a chat.  He was so intrigued, and wanted to try it, that he drove there one morning and did it.  He felt so liberated !!! 

I had asked the owner where the keyhole to the master bedroom was, forget the key !!  He asked me why I would want to lock the bedroom.  I explained how we had always slept with our kids with us, and locked the door.  He just shook his head in pity.  It is times like this that makes you feel how imprisoned you actually are living there.

For anyone that has not been there yet, and hopefully it still is like that, we felt an incredible weight off our shoulders.  We felt very free, and didnt' have to think about stopping at a red light and looking around. 

Offline alwyn

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 06:46:47 am »
I'd like to see the priceless look on those British and European faces 10-20 years down the line when the government takes away their Camps Bay mansions and Wine farms.

Personally if we had 40 million less people in SA, I would be back in a flash, this is heaven without da people.

Schalk you were talking about the army, and that time.  Saw this thing on TV last night on how the masses of SA were so patriotically fighting apartheid that they didn't have time to prepare for their retirement (pension), and then it went on about how government is addressing this.  Made me think about all the patriots that went into the relative luxury of banishment, the same people who now stain our government.  Wonder how they felt about their heroes back in SA.  Anyway, its true what they say about who writes history.   Good news is that history teaching in schools are focusing less on trying to tell kids how guilty they should feel and how angelic their counterparts are, and more on the history of the child in question.

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 06:47:36 am »
South Africa is a county with leaders that are there for their personal gain only and the hell with the rest. Political loyalty to the ANC are the most important thing, if you are a Zuma man/woman, you will get a nice cosy job, if you where a Mbeki man/woman you will not have a job. I work in government and I see this everyday. EVERYTHING is about personal gain, no sympathy towards the poor, it is a mentality of me, myself and I.

As you guys know I work in recruitment. We work according to EE targets (how many of which group you need to appoint) our target date is 2013 so I assumed that if we reach our target for africans before then, we can appoint other ethnic groups. When we exceeded the target with 7% on blacks and I told the Senior Manager of this specific section that I will recruit individuals that are either white, indian or coloured, I was told that I should proceed with a EE appointment only, although the targets indicate otherwise! What I am getting at is that in SA , a law or a rule is there to the benefit of some individuals only, if this law or rule do not benefit africans it is no longer adhered too. I see this everyday and I cannot function in the grey areas anymore, I have people begging me to assist them with employment and I have to tell them to their faces that sorry............ your are the wrong colour!

I can't wait to work in NZ where an individual is given a positon based on their ability, qualifications and experience and not because of political connections to the colour of a skin!

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 12:45:42 pm »
Thanks Mertz, offcourse nepotism, AA and discrimination exists everywhere,  I am not saying that NZ is excluded and that it is all paradise not at all, I think I am quite realistic on my expectations, I hope I am.  :) We know that we cannot have our bread buttered on both sides 

Today is one off those days where I phoned my mom and she cried about us leaving, she said that she does not think that she will be able to cope if I leave, she told me that I am her "strong" child. That breaks my heart  :'(  I get sooooo angry that we had to make this decision, this decision that causes the people that we love so much pain. I am not even gone yet, how on earth is she going to cope once I am gone?  :'( 

Offline alwyn

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 05:01:44 pm »
I hear there's no quarantine on bringing in the old folks...  just wished I still had some.

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 05:01:44 pm »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 02:05:46 am »
I have to agree with Schalk .  Although it does sound harsh, parents have to realise that it is the best for the future of their grandchildren and children.  My parents are sad we are going, but happy that we are, if you know what i mean ? 

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 06:08:44 am »
Ag thanks guys  :'(