Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Warm Clothes and Shoes  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Warm Clothes and Shoes
« on: February 16, 2010, 07:48:45 am »
Hi

I was last in NZ in 2003.  I remember the 2nd hand clothes shops being brilliant.  We are having to buy a complete warm weather  wardrobe as we have been living in Malaysia for the past 15 months, and our winter gear is stored away in SA and too difficult to get to. 

1.  Apart from the warm underwear gear (long johns, vests etc ) which we will buy new, are the 2nd hand shops still very good for jackets, etc.  If not, how pricey are the good jackets in the shops.  I have done some internet research and they seem very expensive.

2.  Shoes.  We are wanting (needing ) to buy some takkies and some hiking boots.  I have been told that they are very expensive there.  I only bought some simple shoes for my 2 year old when we were there, so have no idea.  Should I rather get them in Malaysia, which is more similar to SA prices ?

Thanks

Offline aniena

Re: Warm Clothes and Shoes
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:44:40 pm »
Hi Savayla

Where are you going to in NZ?  Wheather differ from place to place. We are in Wellington- somer, spring and autum you need a drimac - some days- just to keep the wind out , and if it's not cold but it's still wet, then the drimac will help.  A drimac is a jacket that's "waterproof" with the towel material in the inside.

Winter you either need a really warm jacket - but it depends on the style. Informal - waterproof, dubble (2 jackets in one) jacket works the best. Formal for work - coat- made of wool or something similar. But everything best in black- it's the colour in Nz!!!

I would say - don't buy - buy in Nz and see what you need. Coats for ladies cost around $80 in the beginning of the season, later on (summer time) you may pay less. We bought very good jackets  (dubble layer ones in Whanganui for $40 each - ) but they are closing down.

NZ is a land of specials- look out for one- don't just buy what you see in a shop without doing some homework first.  Look at trade me- will find a good buy online if your patient.

We have one very heavy mens jacket if some one wants it. As an interm. 

Regards

aniena

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:44:40 pm »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 01:48:29 am »
Thanks Aniena.

We will be in Nelson, so that will be cold in winter.  We are from Cape Town, so used to the 4 seasons in one day. 

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 01:10:04 am »
We had our first snow on the  mountains (half an hour drive away ) yesterday and today went out shopping in 8.4 degrees celcius.  With our marino wool thermals that we have bought, we were not cold at all. 

So it does work.  I want to tell some Kiwis that I see in shorts to "Put some clothes on "   :2funny:  They really are tough people !!!

Offline tmprince

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 06:51:37 am »
Savayla, please post where you got your marino thermals from as I hate the cold I even hate JHB winter so I think for half the year I am gonna be one misrable B*&^ once we land. I really need to look this kind of thing up so I can make sure it's part of the essential list.  ;D
Lovies
Marcia
EOI submitted   13-01-09
EOI selected     28-01-09
ITA recieved     09-02-09
ITA submitted   24-06-09
ITA lodged       26-06-09
CO assigned     28-09-09
WTR approved  14-05-2010
Arrived 01-07-2010
PR March 2011
5 YEARS TODAY 01-07-2015

Offline bardey

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 07:56:03 am »
Thanks, this is good info for us still in SA and contemplating the move over to NZ... But with today's weather in Cape Town (even snow in Swellendam on their mountains) I'm beginning to think that we'll need those merino thermals as well  :2funny:

cheers,
bardey

Offline Snoozy

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 09:09:36 am »
hahaha - that's why we're now in Auckland:-) it's 8pm and I'm sitting in shorts and t-shirt

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 09:09:36 am »

Offline bardey

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 11:33:46 am »
hi Snoozy

OMG! Is that what May is like in Auckland, or is this just an exception?

We're freezing in Cape Town

Offline AndreCT

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 11:40:17 am »
IF you want warm thermals and live in Cape Town try Orca Industries. They are on the mountain side of the Traffic lights at the intersection of Main and Landsdown Road in Claremont. They are a climbing shop and their stuff is absolutely brilliant.

Regards
Andre

EOI Submitted 27/6/06, Selected 5/7, ITA 14/9, Posted 22/12, Delivered 5/1, Status Received & Payment 8/1/07, VO Contact 15/5, Interview 15/8, PR 16/10, LSD 20/6/08, Landed 14/6/2009, IRRV 17/12/2010, Returned CT 19/12/2010

Offline rikadb

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 02:50:41 pm »
hi,
Here in SA they sell the nice and warm jackets (waterproof, and double wear) for around R1500 in shops like Cape Union Mart, Outdoor warehouse, etc.
Aniena, if you said you buy a similar kind of jacket for $80, I suppose this is very expensive in SA and it is better to buy in NZ..

Offline Clarikdeens

• Torbay, Auckland
    • The Paint Basket
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 07:21:18 pm »
It is 20 deg C in my office right now 06H15 and it was similar weather when we arrived in May last year. The weather does get cold here in North Shore (Auckland) but not anywhere as cold as the Highveld. Last winter we only had a few days of frost. Love it here.

Offline Snoozy

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 08:31:05 pm »
We're still new in Auckland, and admittedly New Zealand is benefitting this year from a very late winter - some El nino or effect or something like that. So last year this time they say was quite a bit colder. Our apartment is also really warm, which helps... in Wellington our plae had the best views, but as a result froze over when the southerly blew.

Andre - you did know that Orca is a NZ brand. Don't see very much of it in NZ though...

Rikadb - definitely no. The proper jackets for R1500 are equivalent to about $300, making them not bad at all. If you go for something similar here, it'll easily get to that price, upwards. We were at Dresssmart centre (centre with all the clothing stores in one place here in AKL) yesterday, and saw some for $500 upwards. Main reason is that the term waterproof probably gets a slightly different meaning when on the moutains on the South Island, Fiordland etc:-)

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 08:31:05 pm »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 09:48:33 pm »
We bought ours in Kaikoura from a little shop that  has an amazing range and really good prices.  Their name is Woolshed Gallery  www.woolshednz.co.nz   They also have an online shop.  I just looked at it , and some of the items are pricier than what I paid.  But, there are some things that are half price of the other shops.  You should not pay more than $69 for a long sleeve vest.  (I paid $30 at the shop in Kaikoura ) . 

The other one, which I went into but did not buy as it was the first shop, is The Wool Company.  www.thewoolcompany.co.nz    They also have an online shop and I am about to order my girls their woolly long-johns as there is no other place in the whole of NZ that sells 100 % merino thermal long-johns for kids.  I have checked !!

Otherwise there are always shops around , but look at The Wool Company for what prices you should be paying.  The Wool Shed is more cheaper as they have baskets around of stuff.    Also go to flea markets.  Don't know how prevalent they are in the North Island, but in the South, there are lots of shops.  Some ask crazy prices. 

The 100 % merino is really worth it.  you can wear it day after day, and there is no body odour at all  :)  I can't stand the thought of wearing synthetic against my skin (plastic PVC !! ) like they are selling at Postie and Kathmandu.  And they are the same price as the natural ones.  Hell, the sheep don't look cold at all  :2funny:

Keep warm !!

Offline Snoozy

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 10:47:54 pm »
Great post Savayla. Sorry I was more referring to water proof wear for outside etc; the real jacket type stuff, not the Merino's...

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 01:53:19 am »
I'm always keeping my nose in Bivouac and Kathmandu. They have some excellent clothing and some really good sales on everything.
There is also a Merino outlet store close to the airport in Auckland that sells the Merino stuff cheap - I'll try find the link to the website.

07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!