Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: A golden willy wonka ticket into NZ  (Read 1572 times)

Offline h4ns3n

A golden willy wonka ticket into NZ
« on: February 20, 2010, 08:20:02 am »
I was recently contacted by a recruitment agent in NZ. It seems I have a golden opportunity to leave SA for NZ and work in the IT sector in Auckland.

My thoughts now are to come over and work out the initial 5 month contract (they said that it was 5 months to avoid the police / medical bureaucracy), leaving my family behind and setting up our new life and the family will follow afterwards. Is this a good idea? I can't imagine leaving my 3 and 7yr old for such a long time.

All the obvious reasons to leave weigh upon my mind, such as the opportunities for my children, a life free from all the negatives of SA, most of them posted here. In all honesty, I have a fantastic career in CT, I am not negative about SA and I love Cape Town. The thought of leaving never occurred to me before being contacted. But it is an opportunity... do I take it?

Please tell me about living in NZ. Could I get away with living "cheaply" on my own for 5 months and then make a decision to come back or to stay?  Some of the things I'll miss are related to my lifestyle in SA. I love hiking and walk trails just about every weekend, I love watching english football (Liverpool) and I'm passionate about my work. Work ethic in the team I work with is very important to me. What are the options in terms of internet connectivity (ADSL), how does medical work, do we need medical aid? In addition to income tax, what other mandatory deductions are there on a normal salaried worker?

Sorry of there are answers on this forum to these questions, I'll do my own searches but I would appreciate your insights. Thanks

Offline Hill

Re: A golden willy wonka ticket into NZ
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 09:21:05 am »
My comments in-line. Nolan I hope I have not contravened any site restrictions answering these questions. I don't think I made any statements directly related to the immigration process but if I have please delete.
I was recently contacted by a recruitment agent in NZ. It seems I have a golden opportunity to leave SA for NZ and work in the IT sector in Auckland. That's a good start not many get this opportunity.

My thoughts now are to come over and work out the initial 5 month contract (they said that it was 5 months to avoid the police / medical bureaucracy), leaving my family behind and setting up our new life and the family will follow afterwards. Is this a good idea? I can't imagine leaving my 3 and 7yr old for such a long time. This is difficult to answer, only you know the answer. But my feelings are 5 months will pass quickly. However you could come over, make a decision and send for them to join you if you decide to stay. I cannot comment on the legalities of doing it this way as the site is not a registered immigration site.

All the obvious reasons to leave weigh upon my mind, such as the opportunities for my children, a life free from all the negatives of SA, most of them posted here. In all honesty, I have a fantastic career in CT, I am not negative about SA and I love Cape Town. The thought of leaving never occurred to me before being contacted. But it is an opportunity... do I take it? In my opinion if you have to think about it, then you are not ready for the move. That is just my opinion. Immigration is difficult many people fail because their heart is just not in it.

Please tell me about living in NZ. Could I get away with living "cheaply" on my own for 5 months and then make a decision to come back or to stay?  Some of the things I'll miss are related to my lifestyle in SA. I love hiking and walk trails just about every weekend, I love watching english football (Liverpool) and I'm passionate about my work. Work ethic in the team I work with is very important to me. What are the options in terms of internet connectivity (ADSL), how does medical work, do we need medical aid? In addition to income tax, what other mandatory deductions are there on a normal salaried worker? You will find very nice hiking trails here too. Auckland has many many family friendly short walks scattered around the town. The Kiwi's love the outdoor as much as the SA'ers there is plenty to do outdoors. You can watch football anywhere on MySky. My internet connection far outweighs anything in SA. Most Urban areas are getting upgraded to ADSL2+. I am relatively close to an exchange. I get 11MB/s download and 750kB upload speeds. Telecom is also rolling out fibre to the kerb which will improve speeds further. A friend tested the new system for a few months and got approx 40 something MB/s downloads. Not sure of the uploads. No need for medical aid as far as I am concerned but we do have a hospital plan for large emergencies. Many say doctors here are very expensive. I feel otherwise because most people don't take into account the huge medical aid costs they pay every month regardless of if they go to a doctor or not. I was hospitalised for a night and had various scans and at least 3 sets of blood tests. All I paid was 40 dollaras towards the ambulance. My only salary deductions are tax and kiwi saver. Nothing else.

Sorry of there are answers on this forum to these questions, I'll do my own searches but I would appreciate your insights. Thanks

Regards

Hill

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 09:21:05 am »

Offline El

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 10:50:28 am »
 :welcome: Wow that does seem like a wonderful opportunity.  I am sure that there are many people on the site that are pretty green with envy!   :envy:
I think you'll find that NZ has the life outdoor lovers dream of.  One of the worlds top day hikes (Tongariro Crossing) is here on the North Island.  The Queen Charlotte Trail is a multi-day hike that rivals the best in the world and within Auckland you can hike the Waitakere Ranges, the beaches, the volcanoes.... the list goes on. 
There are positives and negatives to immigration, it is a tough journey but has many rewards.  We don't regret a moment of it and we've had some huge helpings of humble pie.   :)
What ever you decide,  :gl: and keep us posted.

Offline expat

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 12:46:51 pm »
As they said a job offer makes a whole lot of difference  - but like I have posted here many times it is just more difficult to be boweld over by NZ beauty/life style wise etc if you from CT. The other big thing is money. I live in CT emigrated and returned and you are welcome to contact me for input - It will not be blindly  pro NZ or pro SA. cheers

Offline moonbeam

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 08:23:51 am »
Thought I'd give my opinion/experience as I am an ex-Cape Tonian.

Came from Cape Town to NZ two years ago and LOVE, LOVE life in NZ....and yes, I enjoyed the Cape Town lifestyle too.  I do more here than in Cape Town as I don't have to worry about my safety.  I run/walk on the mountain on my own (as a woman that's a huge plus), I cycle, I swim in the sea.....etc
The weather in Wellington takes some getting used to, but I just fit in with the weather and dress accordingly.
I have a successful career, and can honestly say that I am happier living in NZ than I was in Cape Town.

Hope this helps  :)

Offline expat

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 11:05:59 am »
moonbeam,
tell me more - what work did you do in CT and what do you do in NZ?
where did you live in CT and where in Wellington.
I found Wellington great -  but ouch the weather.
keep well

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 06:09:55 pm »
I was recently contacted by a recruitment agent in NZ. It seems I have a golden opportunity to leave SA for NZ and work in the IT sector in Auckland.

:welcome: to the forum. Sorry for being a "nosey parker" but what do you do for a living in SA, and how did they get hold of you?? Did you contact anybody in NZ and they got back to you or ...?

The only other question that I have is, could you take 5 months leave and come here and if it doesn't work out that you could go back to SA and pick up your life without too much hassles? Other than that I think "Hill" did a good job in answering your questions.
  :welcome: again and enjoy the start of your "rollercoaster". SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 06:09:55 pm »

Offline h4ns3n

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 06:58:24 pm »
Hi, thanks for all the input.

@ Hill: Thanks for that reply. It answered all my questions! I particularly liked what you said about having to think about it. I agree 100% with you. If I really wanted to go, I would be jumping at the opportunity. In all honesty, my heart is not in this move. We haven't really been affected by crime (ok - my argus cycle tour bike was stolen from my garage which resulted in me never torturing myself again), but one finds many people see or hear about some terrible evil that has happened, whether directly or heresay and that gives them enough passion to affect real change for themselves. As Hill says, if it's not in your heart, it's probably not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, the crime here is just pathetic. There is so much poverty and unemployment and the best our goverment can do is make some meaningless promises  and lots of noise all the while lining their own pockets with all the riches they can. In today's Rapport, there is an expose on Julius Malema and how he has been making his millions through awarding goverment tenders to his own companies. This crime, corruption and poverty just can't get much worse. I'm angry about it, but do I want to leave because of it?  I can't say I do.

My expected remuneration in NZ is roughly $10k - $12k pm. I'm waiting for the actual offer because everything they have said so far is in Rands and in Rands that seems a lot, but is it much in NZ? Can I support myself and my family in SA? From what I researched so far, accomodation is ridiculously expensive. Where in CT would you get someone renting a granny flat for the equivalent of $220 pw? That's like over R6000! You can get a decent 3 bedroomed house for R5500 in Uitzight, Durbanville. I was looking at houses in Northshore and was trying to find something at about $200 pw. I was looking for something in the form of a batchelor flat. 

@SAKiwiBoer - I'm a BI developer. I build datawarehouses. My CV was on pnet.co.za and I have received many calls from SA based companies and one from Canada and one from NZ. I don't thnk i'm particularly skilled or some kind of superstar, but there is a dire shortage of these skills world wide. Tip for those of you looking for a career change, learn all the Microsoft BI tools and write the exam. Then write your pay cheque. According to the agency, these skills are "hugely" in short supply in NZ.

I start a new job on 1 March with a huge company in SA. I doubt very much that they are going to consider giving me 5 months unpaid leave.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Offline expat

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 07:31:27 pm »
h4ns3n- what the devil does that stand for!!!
I am from CT spent a short while in NZ/ Auckland and we returned.
You are welcome to pm me for some input on prices / the process / the feelings etc- I am sure I can help.
cheers and good luck.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 10:26:23 pm »
Well h4ns3n (or is it hansen??  ;D ), good luck with any and all of your decisions you are about to make in future. It seems that the single most importent decision is made already.
Regards and enjoy, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 06:23:52 am »
All I can say is good luck with this HUGE decision, in my opinion you have a willy wonka ticket into NZ , I would use it if I where you!

Good luck and  :welcome: to the family!

:)