Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Children's future  (Read 1392 times)

Offline alwyn

Children's future
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:11:56 pm »
I know many people cite that this is one of the reasons why they leave the country.  I'd like to share something that is not common knowledge but will give you an idea of how bad this is.  (maybe I've told this before)

My wife was watching a kids rugby match when she met an old doctor grandparent of one of the kids.  Somehow the subject of discussion ended up to be how difficult it was to get into university these days to study doctor as a non-BEE candidate and the doctor had the following tale to tell.

He serves on the medical counsel of Stellenbosch's medical school.
They have a quota of how many white students they can allow to study.  Say this is 10, which might be more than the actual figure.  I've heard rumours that TUKS's quota is 4!!!!
They are not allowed to enrol more whites than the quota, even though there are not enough qualifying blacks to fill the black quota.
In the end they allow black students who don't meet the requirements, he says its so bad that these students can't even write and in many cases read properly.
So now we get to exam time.  100% of the whites pass, 30% of the blacks (on a good day).
So the government comes to them and ask them if they are rascist as to how can it be that all whites pass and so many blacks fail.
So they are effectively forced to do one of 2 things:
a) Fail non-failing white students to even the percentages.
b) Allow black students to pass who fail.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
Re: Children's future
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 10:05:44 pm »
And while typing this, I just had an horrific vision of sitting in front of one of those "doctors" and him/her trying to write out (because he can't write) a basic prescription for my flu and the chemist trying to read (because he can't read) the prescription, and I end up with a vial containing ten b0kdr0lle instead of ten antibiotic pills!

And your stuck with the "b0kdr0lle" due to the fact that none of them could read or write and the last one knew he had to give you something so he gave you something that his "sangomma" gave him....  :2funny:  :2funny: .

But to get back to the topic. I also heard that some of the white students at Uni now start with something totally different from what they wanted to do like medicine. They start for instance with something like "physio" or whatever where the quota is beter and after the first year they change some of their subjects to medicine where they actually wanted to be. Just something I heard. Don't know if it is all true. So don't shoot the "messenger". Cheers, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 10:05:44 pm »

Offline thombatt

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 11:04:18 pm »
Sooner or later this means that a South African qualification will not be acceptable in any first world country.

It'll start of with a qualification achieved after a certain date, but sooner or later it will be all South African qualifications, no matter when you got them.

This is one of the reasons why I got a correspondence degree from a University in Scotland. It was expensive but it's a European Community qualification.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 05:43:10 am »
 :eek: Oops, sorry to burst your bubble but there are quals from SA uni's already that are NOT excepted by NZQA. I heard exactly that over the w/end from a friend of ours that are working for the NZ Ministry of Education as a Siciatrist. And it's not only new degree's, it's older one's aswell and from some of the more "respected" institutions. If we stayed in SA with our kids and they eventually went to Uni they would have been stuck in SA because nobody would have excepted any of their quals in anycase. Cheers, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline rodders

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 07:59:02 am »
This issue for us is THE MAIN REASON why we are moving.   They "Dumb Down" all syllabi across the board to make the overall pass rates look better.

My Dad runs his own business in the mining industry (electrical), and he was telling me the other day the he interviewed an "Electrician" that had just qualified.  Upon closer inspection of his "certificate" he noticed that the entire course took SIX months!  My Dad is a qualified electrician and started his career on the mines in the 1960s.  His course took a minimum of five years, where you start as a Skivvie and carry the Electricians tool box and lunch tin when you start.  After five years they trust you enough to install systems upon which other's lives depend.

He was showing this guy some of the cables he would be expected to work on and noticed that he had never seen anything other than cabtyre and norse cable.  Wasn't too clued up on this whole 3-phase thingy aswell.
(Just so that you know, he didn't get the job)

So yes - it's not just in the medical field.

We want our children to succeed in the world.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 08:33:38 am »
Jip, their pushing idiots through in any and all avenue's of the economy. No wonder it's going for a ball of s**t. Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA