Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Shopping, Groceries etc.  (Read 7149 times)

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
Shopping, Groceries etc.
« on: April 18, 2007, 07:40:25 am »
I've found these two websites that have online shops, so you can do a "virtual shop", and get an idea for the cost of groceries / food in NZ. I believe there are other cheaper stores as well (Pak n Save), so I'm not sure how these prices compare.

https://www.foodtown.co.nz/
https://www.woolworths.co.nz/

http://www.paknsave.co.nz/ , doesn't look like it has an online shop though.

Any others ?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 07:45:42 am by Rhodan »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: Shopping, Groceries etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 09:58:39 am »
All the ones I know of that have prices on their sites are HERE

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 09:58:39 am »

Offline alwyn

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 05:38:13 pm »
Is woolworths indicative of what food costs in NZ?

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 06:57:45 pm »
Woolworths is pretty standard. At larger Woolies you get no name brands that are cheaper. The cheapest is usually Pak n Save but I dont like shopping there.

Offline paula

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 07:33:34 pm »
hi, my aunt runs a b and b in chch, and she reckons she has done lots of shopping around and the cheapest place (barring specials which then makes it cheaper at some shops) is countdown.

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 11:02:02 pm »
Comparing apples with apples....

I got a bit worried after reading yesterday's NZHerald blog about people emigrating from NZ to OZ because they believe (one of the most prevalent reasons) that it is too expensive to live in NZ. Then today another blog got me raising my eyebrows a bit when they asked whether consumers are curbing their spending because of the rising cost of living in NZ. The main article on NZHerald was also something about how basic food items are becoming too expensive and that there is a petition to request GST to be taken off basic nutritious foods such as bread and milk.

Now I've done a bit of reading on this site regarding cost of living and did the whole calculator thing on the EmigrateNZ website and all seemed hunky dory, till I went virtual shopping on www.woolworths.co.nz today....

Now tell me please, how do I compare? I know I can't just convert to Rands and take it at face value, although it is human nature to try and do that .... and it is REALLY, REALLY scary!!! For 250g of green beans I'll pay the equavalent of R18.00? And for half a kilo of beef mince it works out to R65.00? And sliced brown bread for anything from R15.00? Surely not???

In all my readings today I read that basic foodstuffs have gone up over a quarter since last year...  is this a worrying trend for NZ?
Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 11:36:26 pm »
Hi Minette
I understand your concerns. From a distance everything seems very expensive. And yes, please don't convert - you'll suffer a heart attack! Remember that once you have a job this side, you'll earn dollars. Then a dollar spent, was just a dollar earned. Every single grocery outlet has specials every week. Last week, when I went to New World, they marked off a lot of meat, and I bought mince for just over $3/kg. Frozen veges are really cheap as well. Bought sliced green beans for about $2/kg. There is a huge variety of bread - ranging from $1,09 to about $5. I don't buy the expensive one. I haven't bought a stale (sp?) piece of bread or bun since I landed in NZ. Everything is super fresh! The first couple of visits to the grocery store are very expensive, getting everything from salt, to veges, to cleaning aids - mops, dishcloths, and whatever. Once you have a job, take it like this - I think you'll spend a smaller percentage of your salary on groceries than you did in SA. Maybe those that have been here longer than I have, can tell if they experience the same??

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 11:36:26 pm »

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 12:54:02 am »
dont convert please!

I wouldnt even buy myself a coffee in my 1st few months cause I thought $3.50 or $4 for a cuppachino was a rip off. Now its normal.

Food prices are going up everywhere. USA and UK have major price hikes at the mo, as well as NZ and SA so I think everyone should get used to it. Same with petrol. The world is in crisis and we have to ride out the storm.
However, if you are careful and shop around you can almost eat for the same price as in SA but earn double the money. Thats my experience. I am much much better off here.

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 01:07:08 am »
Minette, can I give you one example.

I buy no name brand brown bread from Woolworths. It costs $1.09. But you can also buy loaves of bread for between $2.50 and $4.50. Its a choice. There are lots of specials that you may not find online. If you buy no name brand pasta for example its more than a third cheaper than brand name pastas and tastes the same.

Yes, a lot of Kiwis are moving to Oz. That has been happening for years. Yes, people are winging about food and petrol prices etc etc........

BUT......this place is still 1000000000000000000000000000000000000% better than living in the hell hole called Zumaland (or is it South Africa?). I love NZ... :smitten:

Offline Snoozy

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 05:59:04 am »
Just my 2cents worth. Food prices are excalating globally. Albany bread, for example, is going up by R1,30 per loaf to appox R8,30 tomorrow. Rice is going up by 30% this week, and has already goneup previously. This is because the world isn't producing sufficient food at the moment - various reasons. Several big rice producers in Asia, for example, have banned the export of rice, so that they have enough to feed themselves....so yes, world wide trend.

Re disposable income, it really depends what occupation you're in, and where you're from in SA. Teachers, for example,will have LOTS more in NZ than in SA. On the other hand, senior financial positions in South Africa are paid on such a varying scale (Durban about half of Jhb),so moving from Dbn to NZ could mean an increase, moving from Jhb to NZ in this occupation is a definite decrease in disposable income.

Then again, if money is the big issue, a move to Europe or the UK would be much better, as most occupations are guaranteed a significant increase in earnings...but it's a matter of choice of what one wants. NZ salaries will probably remain constant, Jhb salaries will increase by huge % this year due to shortage of skills (you won't believe how much newly qual CA's now cost, never mind QS's or engineers, even construction foremen, that earn more than company directors0. You can do very well in Jhb now, but as I said, it's a matter of choice which one can only make personally. We've made the choice...hopefully flying on 15 May if the visa is through on time! (Sorry about long post)

Offline aniena

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 06:26:28 am »
We are only here for 3 weeks now. We found pack and save much cheaper over all than woolworhts and new market. If I have time I'll post same slipps. If you convert it to rand still very expensive but when compering $ to $ ....

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 06:57:11 am »
I dont think anyone moves to NZ for the money.....its about the pace of life, quality of life, the outdoors,  and simple things like just feeling safe.

As Snoozy has said, if you after the money head for UK or even Australia, but you wont get what NZ has to offer over there.

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 06:57:11 am »

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 08:21:40 am »
Agree that prices are on the up at a rapid pace.  I used to spend R100 approx a day on a meal for that night and maybe something we were running out of like soap powder, dog food etc etc.  Now I still to the same but walk out with 2 packets having paid between R200-250 :heeha:  And that is what I have noticed in the past 8 months.. and it ain't getting better

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 08:31:59 am »
Thanks for the posts everyone. Have seen the world wide trend in price increase for food and was just commenting on how much milk, bread and eggs are in SA the other day. The overall world wide food increase picture is not a big shock to me and as I said, I did the calculations and we can get by very nicely on the salary we are projecting to earn and have also taken into account that we won't pay for things like medical and insurance (much) and security once in NZ, so we have a larger portion of our salary as disposable income. So, yes, it all seems fine and will probably just take some getting used to, I guess.
Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

Offline Shirls

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 08:33:33 am »
I get so  :censored: :censored: off with people who carry on about the money factor here in NZ. If you want to earn money to have a flash life style, then please don't waste a single Rand coming here.
We move to NZ for a better quality of life. To raise our famlies in peace and secure in the knowledge that they will be looked after. The sense of community here is amazing.

The cost of food is about the same as anywhere else. Except the fruit and veg are so much better!

We do a "big" shop every fortnight at pak n' save, but get the basics from our local New World.