Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Shopping, Groceries etc.  (Read 7150 times)

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
Re: Shopping, Groceries etc.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 08:47:39 am »
Agree Shirls, I would rather live on bread and butter and have my family safe than have luxury goods and my family stressed out about safety :'(

Offline Lisa09

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 09:16:16 am »
I would have to go with Hadenough on this one. I can go without a few luxuries to have peace of mind.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 09:16:16 am »

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 09:32:47 am »
I would have moved to a shack in NZ rather than live in fear and terror in the Northern suburbs of Joburg.

Offline Mumtaz (CapetonianInWellington)

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 01:28:54 pm »
I AGREE!!! I am not concerned about the money AT ALL. As long as I can afford, bread and water.......I would give up all the luxuries here to have a safe place for my family!!!

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 07:33:42 pm »
I'm not after a money-filled in NZ, and don't expect to just carry on my current life as I have it in JHB once I'm in New Zealand...I do hope I did not give that impression? Just please bear in mind that I have never even travelled out of SA, so going overseas is pretty much a HUGE THING - never mind the fact that I'm wanting to move there permanently! I understand and appreciate that one cannot put a price on quality of life and that is after all the first and foremost reason we have decided to move to New Zealand. And yes, life is becoming pretty much expensive everywhere, I understand that, but also try to see it from my point of view in trying to figure out how things work there and trying to get my head around "normal everyday stuff". While still sitting in SA, there are certain assumptions that I have to make with the limited info I can gather and of course, will have to ask questions around my own observations. That's what this forum is all about, helping each other out, not true? Anyway, as much as we'd like it to not be so, much (almost all) in life is dependent on money, so money and how much of it you get and how much of it you can spend on certain items will always, always feature into your planning at some point in life.... that's all this post is about, I think, not that we'd like to live like Sandton yuppies, just that we know we can at least afford some nice butter to put on our bread! :)
Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 08:27:08 pm »
Minette, no worries. I understand. I cant imagine how you must feel never having been out of SA......that must be very scary. Just do lots of research, watch all these videos that have been posted, look at pics of houses on trademe.co.nz etc and get as good as feeling for NZ. You will be OK, but it will take you a while to adjust when you get here.

Offline Etresia

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 08:57:11 pm »
Hi Minnette,

I agree.  without money you cant survive anywhere.  We are only in the beginning stages of our process but we are already worried about financial matters, in a sense that we would like to plan and be prepared financially for what lies ahead rather than be shocked when we arrive there. It is definately much easier to go into such a big life changing experience prepared and knowing what your'e in for financially. Especially if you have children, you have the responsibility to provide  them not only with a secure life but also to know that you can provide for them financially. One has to be practical regarding money issues. And i suppose this is an issue most people deal with once they've decided to go.

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 08:57:11 pm »

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 09:22:52 pm »
Yep, money makes the world go 'round! Imagine going to the days when there was none and everything was grown and traded!! Nah, it's nice to have life a bit easier with electricity (sometimes) and warm homes, car etc.
Minnette I am like you, never been out of SA and I know how scary it is.  I am just telling myself that no matter how I have to live, I have to get my kids out of here.  If only we had a crystal ball to show us what the future holds here and in NZ (sigh)  it would make this whole immi thing a whole lot easier ::)

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 10:52:48 pm »
I hadn't been out of SA at all either and am now in NZ and coping quite well financially.  Have all the necessary basics that are required.  Don't stress about it too much.  All will work out even if it means you're on a tight budget.

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 04:42:14 am »
To all that are stressing about the not out of SA before thing. I also went through that before my LSD trip. Make up your mind that your are going to enjoy every new sight sight and sound and you will be ok. Accept that there will be good and bad and decide to go with the flow. A bad situation can only be made really bad if you allow it. You have the power within you to see something positive ( no matter how small) in every situation. You will be amazed at how resilient you can be in going without those must haves when the push comes. O0
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Amber

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 10:27:39 am »
I have been fortunate enough to have travelled to many countries in the world and what I have found is that prices are all relative.  You soon get used to the new currency and finding out what you can and can not afford.  We spent Christmas in the UK a few years ago and found that It was actually much cheaper (even with our horrible exchange rate) than here in SA. 
DH also looks at food prices on the web and drives himself nuts thinking about it.  But you go onto Pick 'n Pays home shopping site it will cost you much more than going into one of their stores.  I know it is a worry about food etc and that money problems are the worst to have, but I do believe that NZIS would not let you in if you could not sustain your family whilst there. So when you get accepted and when you arrive there - you will be fine!
Amber
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline WendyH

• Certified Addict
  • Otorohanga, Waikato
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 08:46:09 pm »
We had also travelled quite a lot before coming here, but the shopping took us a while to get used to coming from Zim with very few things in the shops and what there was priced in millions! Now I can look at anything and know whether it's expensive or not - it just takes time.
EOI selected - 21 May 2008
ITA received - 1 July 2008
ITA lodged - 14 July 2008
PR approved in principle 04 May 2009
Received passports with stickers - 03 June 2009

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 08:46:09 pm »

Offline WendyH

• Certified Addict
  • Otorohanga, Waikato
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 08:50:02 pm »
To add to that, our first shopping experience was quite funny looking back at it - we went into Foodtown and didn't realise that we were in the deli department where there are a lot of very expensive imported cheeses and things and we were totally horrified at a small piece of cheese costing $40! Then we went around the corner into the main part of the store and found the normal stuff!!
EOI selected - 21 May 2008
ITA received - 1 July 2008
ITA lodged - 14 July 2008
PR approved in principle 04 May 2009
Received passports with stickers - 03 June 2009

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 04:32:55 am »
 :2funny:  and the normal stuff was suddenly so cheap you forgot to convert to Rands, eh? ;D
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

laraw

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 08:45:41 am »
I just want to share this with all of you - my DH has always wanted a Subaru, but could never afford even a second hand one.  Checked out cars in NZ on trade me website and guess what - he will be getting his Subaru when we land!   :smitten:They are so cheap - I know we are not suppose to convert but if you do you can get one in NZ for R30 000 which you would pay R200 000 in SA for!!! Unbelievable! :clap: