Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: A little bit of help please  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Jemsquash

A little bit of help please
« on: April 07, 2010, 12:22:22 pm »
Hi, i am a 25 year old graphic designer from JHB, my husband is a tool, jig and die maker. We are married and have a beautiful 2 year old daughter.

Yesterday my husband received an email about a job he applied for 18 months ago in Australia, but we have decided that NZ is a better option. For those of you who aren't aware of the issues here... Eugene Terblance has been murdered and i fear that all hell is going to break lose soon.

I have always wanted to move to NZ, but my grandfather is old and i was afraid something happens and i can't make it back in time, my husbands father is also very old and he is scared for the same reasons, but we decided that we cant stay behind for someone else, we need to think about our daughter now. This morning when i dropped off my daughter and i saw a man with a gun in his pants a few meters further i realized that i cannot live in fear forever and i cant spend 45min praying every night that our daughter is safe.

We had a break in last year March, while we were sleeping the stole a bunch of stuff downstairs and i have never been the same since.

The main reason for my post is to ask....where do i begin. :confused:

I dont know if we should apply for a job first and then a visa or if we should get a visa first and then apply for a job. We have a house here and we will be able to bring a few thousand RSA over with us to help us get set up, but i dot know where to start.

I am aiming to move over by the end of the year, is this realistic or not? I would pack my bags tomorrow if i could, but i know that is being unrealistic. How long does the process take and once again, where do i begin?

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
Re: A little bit of help please
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 12:29:27 pm »
Hi Jemsquash and  :welcome: to the family!!

I would suggest that you apply for Permanent Residency from the SA side first, going cowboy (without anything) is always a bit risky.

Unfortunately we are not allowed to give any immigration advice on the forum (NZ government policy). You should visit their website: www.immigration.govt.nz and start reading!

I know how you feel on being a bit nervous about SA at this stage, can't wait to leave ourselves.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 12:29:27 pm »

Offline Jemsquash

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 12:41:10 pm »
is there any way i can contact you? I don't know if i am allowed to ask for details or anything, i feel so lost, i really don't know where to start. I'll visit the site now, but i don't even know how to apply and our google isn't helping much either. Have you been accepted and you are on your way? Thanx for the quick reply. I apologize for asking questions that aren't allowed to be asked here.   :-X

Offline Jemsquash

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 12:43:33 pm »
oooooh, i see now i missed a step. I had to read the 'getting started'. Apologies people.

Offline vlakteskind

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 01:20:30 am »
hey there,

i am sure you will pick from the "getting started" section a lot of the valuable information and advice, so good luck.

on your family's situation, in my humble opinion: your hubby's got a job offer in Aus! well done! he should not have any problem finding employment in NZ then either. In this day and age, a good job offer can mean the difference between a successful immigration or not. it is a "foot in the door" so to speak. It can start with a the bare minimum like a work visa and the family comes along. it grows into your entire family becoming part of a new country. You work hard you know why you are here and you know your family's future is secure. for that we will take a fair bit of less-than-ideal living for a few years (and if i say "less-than-ideal" i am merely referring to material wealth, the remainder is all sooooo much better-than-ideal! hehe).

you have made your decision for NZ, fair enough but do not disregard australia altogether (esp with that job offer!!). Australia and NZ are literally just "across the ditch" as they say over here. A lot of NZ'ers in Aus atm anyway - they prefer the weather, lower tax and generally higher salary. I am NZ citizen now, but live in Australia at the moment. We are young still, seeing and working the world-ideas as well as saving up a bit. Australia is great, but we both (partner and I) love NZ and will return.

PS: i have a mate in the same industry as you over in NZ, and although experienced does not have a qualification therein...GD's are quite in demand, i believe.

Anything just ask!

Offline Jemsquash

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 12:01:18 pm »
im not familiar with the internet language, what is GD? I know i may sound very blond right now, but i am trying to figure out all these things.

Each blog has its own language, infertility chat sites talk about BFN, IP, IVF and so on, so i'm just trying to keep up with each blog's language. It took me a few minutes before i could figure out what PR means and some of the things are still new to me. Im sure there was a page somewhere with the abbreviations on, but i cant remember where.

One sentence has just turned into a page!! Just wanted to know what GD is, but instead i am typing a report so that no one will think im silly, fail. :uglystupid2:

Sorry.

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:57:53 pm »
GD = Graphic Designer

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:57:53 pm »

Offline Jemsquash

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 02:47:20 pm »
Oh, i guess dying my hair doesnt change anything!! Im so use to misunderstanding these abbreviations that i dont use my common sense to guess guess.

::)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 08:52:21 pm »
Jem on our site we have made it easier to figure out what the abbreviations mean by adding a glossary. You will notice in your post above and any other place when immigration related abbreviations are used they turn blue like this -> PR (if you have a decent browser (like Firefox of course)
You can then move your mouse over the abbreviation and an explanation of the term will show up, try it.
You can also access the Glossary in the forum menu bar (that is the skinny dark blue one just above the large advertiser banner near the top of the page). You can also access the glossary now by going HERE

Offline Jemsquash

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 07:07:38 am »
Thank you, i know i saw a place where the abbreviations where, but i couldnt remember how i got there, no worries. Thank you, i am getting to know your site each day and mess around when i have spare time. I enjoy reading what the people say, cant wait to have a little picture of a plane saying im leaving soon!

Thanks for your help and apologies for posts that aren't allowed tho'!

Enjoy!