Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: LSD Trip Warning !!!  (Read 10428 times)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
LSD Trip Warning !!!
« on: April 07, 2010, 10:02:19 pm »
As there are a lot of new guys exploring their options at the moment, I think it's time to give all those considering the Cowboy route a reminder.

Before you decide to pack up your whole life to come over to NZ to find that crucial job, first stop to consider :

What if we come here and don't find work and have to leave again, will we be able to :

1) Have enough money left to survive for another year or two in SA without work, because finding work in SA again is gonna be just as tough.
2) What will we do to restart our lives back in SA again. Where will we stay, what will we do for transport, where will the kids go to school, etc.

It has been said a million times before, but let's say it again :

Coming to NZ cowboy style, ie., selling everything and coming over on holiday to find work so you will have enough points to officially emigrate,
IS BY FAR THE BIGGEST RISK YOU WILL EVER TAKE.
and you RUN THE RISK OF LOSING EVERYTHING if things don't work out.

Two years ago when the world economy was booming it was a very viable option, with guys getting jobs sometimes within days of landing.

THAT IS NOT THE CASE NOW

Some folks have been here for months and found nothing, not even an interview!!!
Plan and think very carefully before you go this route.

I would suggest only considering this route if :

1) You have enough money to support the whole family here for 12 months, plus another 24 months back in SA. This gives you enough time to rebuild your life back in SA if things do go pear shaped.

2) You already have keen interest in your CV and possibly a few interviews arranged from SA. Things don't generally happen as quick as we want them when emigrating, the same goes for jobs. The employer needs time to see all the applicants, weed out the chancers, re-interview the good ones, sometimes even a third round of interviews take place, then decide who to employ. This doesn't happen in a week, it can take more than a month or even two. You would need to be here during that time. A two week trip to NZ is NOT going to secure you a job, a three month or more trip may.

3) You know that the job will qualify you PR, for that info visit the immigration NZ website. Not just any job counts for immigration purposes, some jobs are more equal than others. Otherwise you may come here, find work and find that it doesn't even qualify you for a WP.

4) You have the guts to go out and knock on employers doors face to face. You can't come here and look for jobs on the Internet, you could have done that in SA. You will have to get up off your butt and go LOOKING for work door to door. If you can't do that, then don't bother coming because you are wasting your time and money.

5) You may not find work in the town you want, you will have to be prepared to look for work and work anywhere in the beginning.

6) You realise that NZ doesn't owe you anything and you are not special enough to get preferential treatment or handed a job. Kiwis don't understand the dire situation in SA and to be honest, they probably don't really give a damn because it doesn't affect them and they quite simply can't comprehend that people can do the things they do in SA. You will need to eat humble pie and climb in the queue just like everybody else.

7) Realise that if things don't work out, it is not NZ's fault, but yours. There ARE jobs, not as many as before, but the employers are still employing, so you can find work if you look hard enough.

Forewarned is forearmed  O0

:gl:

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
Re: LSD Trip Warning !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:09:14 pm »
I would love to know what prompted this thread:D  Something happen to someone you know , recently?

2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:09:14 pm »

Offline thombatt

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 10:10:26 pm »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:43:51 am by thombatt »

Offline thombatt

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 12:00:53 am »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:44:20 am by thombatt »

Offline Clarikdeens

• Torbay, Auckland
    • The Paint Basket
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 12:53:09 am »
I have not spoken to Nolan about this post but if you think about it, it is a very practical bit of advice.
Yes, we have a very good example of it in our own family.

The world situation is NOT the same as it was a few years back. The economy went for a loop and it will still be some time time before it will be back to "normal" again. It is under these circumstances that anyone contemplating coming over to NZ, or any other country for that matter, to do very careful homework. Remember that anything that happens to you, or has happened to you, good or bad, has been as a result of a series of decisions that YOU have taken. All Nolan is doing is to not get anyone on this forum to take hasty decisions that will have a devastating effect(s) on their life.

Any hasty decision made that will perhaps result in you having to return to SA against your will  can result in a lifelong regret.

I certainly hope your decision(s) will be a wise one.
Please, don't burn your bridges before you have crossed over.

I suppose that if you have the means for sustaining yourself for a good period of time then the above advice will not apply to you. :gl: Take it from one who knows.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:01:20 am by Clarikdeens »

Offline thombatt

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 03:32:35 am »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:45:13 am by thombatt »

Offline Awa

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 08:52:43 am »
Just to add.  I have over 12 years experience in SA and more than a year NZ experience with an open work visa in my pocket and have recently decided to try and change jobs - no such luck folks!   Out of all the jobs I applied for I only got one phone call and it was for much less money than I would make a change for.  There are jobs out there but the Kiwis are picky and they are not rushed into anything.   Some jobs have up to 3 interviews before you get the nod or the shake!  It can literaly take months - that is if you are lucky enough to even get the interview in the first place.  Things are definitely tougher and the last thing we want to see is Saffers having to go back to SA - so follow Nolan's advice!
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 08:52:43 am »

Offline Shirls

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 11:31:35 am »
Great idea to hammer home the point again Nolan.

Immigration has changed the playing field so much in the last 2 years, that I doubt we would get in now - even though my hubby has a trade etc!

I have a friend who is coming over in the next month - on the promise by an "agent" that she and her hubby will find jobs! Neither of them are on the SSL, or have the right qualifications!! I have talked until I am blue in the face, but she knows better!

Case in point re the jobs, my mom has been covering for maternity leave at one of the bigger employers here in Hamilton. Her contract is over at the end of April and will not be renewed. She has been sending her CV off for jobs since January - around 10 a week. Sadly she has not had one interview! Employers are been VERY picky and fussy over who they employ.

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 03:32:59 pm »
Well I must ad.....considering the fact that we have PR and we can't find work from SA, I also think I is EXTREMELY risky at this stage for anybody to go cowboy.

The fact that there will be a lot of saners that would go to NZ cowboy considering the recent nonsense in sa, I think NZ is going to get a influx of saners going to take this huge risk.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 08:41:59 pm »
The fact that there will be a lot of saners that would go to NZ cowboy .... I think NZ is going to get a influx of saners going to take this huge risk.

I just hope "sanity" will prevail and that not a lot of SA'ns try and do this "to get out". NZ employers are very "picky" in this "recession". They "look" for excellent candidates that would "normally" not move but are at present without a job and they are only "picking" the "cream of the crop". Can't say I blame them but it is very annoying and frustrating for the applicants. But in my opinion NZ employers are not very employee orientated as is the case in SA. Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 09:49:00 am »
To add a bit of balance here:
Although the sentiments in general are very valid, I still say that there are certain fields out there that have definately picked up. I'm an IT BA and in the last month I've probably had about 2 - 3 calls a week from agencies I dealt with when I first arrived, wanting to know if I was available for a position. In particular, I think there is alot of movement in the telecommunications industry.
Just a thought, use it, don't use it... :)

Good luck to everyone!
07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!

Offline Zorg

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 10:49:59 am »
Nolan.......yoo trooly are a "supreme being".........thankyew fer the heads-up   :not_worthy:

SusanJ.......thankyew fer those encouraging words, I am in the telecoms line

I have submitted EOI but am currently without work in SA, in fact for 6 months already. So i am very tempted to get on the next plane and do the "cowboy"..... :eyesclosed:
My wife and kids to remain while i check "the lay of the land"
Hey!!!......wherever life may take me. My sail is up, just waiting for a good wind.

EOI submitted - 12Apr2010
Selected from pool - 5May2010

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 10:49:59 am »

Offline Zorg

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 11:47:53 am »
Ag no mahn!!!   :-\

"Telecom to slash 200 senior jobs
4:37 PM Thursday Apr 15, 2010

Telecom says it is targeting a reduction of 200 management positions this year.

Telecom chief executive Paul Reynolds talked about the management job reduction target at a briefing on today's guidance. He said given weaker revenue the company was managing costs and had identified further opportunities to take costs out of the busine"

Wee deemund de end to this unfair practise of recession...........VIVA!!!!
Hey!!!......wherever life may take me. My sail is up, just waiting for a good wind.

Offline Zorg

Offline Zorg

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 10:30:08 am »
sorry to say the teleco sector not looking healthy at present.   

"Australian owned telecommunications company TelstraClear is looking to cut 120 call centre jobs in New Zealand, moving the service to Manila in the Philippines.

TelstraClear told Fairfax media 120 jobs were under consideration, including 75 in Christchurch, but it was only a proposal at this stage."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10639678