Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: whats the difference?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Jemsquash

whats the difference?
« on: April 19, 2010, 06:45:25 am »
I have tried to do as much research as possible, other than the major issue (crime) i don't know what is different.

:coffee:These are the things i have heard/read/gathered thus far:

• The weather in NZ is very unpredictable - one moment it is warm & sunny, the next its rain & thunderstorms.
    There are earthquakes - how true is this?
    Homes & renting is much more expensive than SA
    Living costs are lower than SA
    Cars are cheaper than SA

Apparently (according to our Agent) if you make around $4000 a month, you ill be able to survive just fine. 2 Cars, rent and enough food for the month. Is this true or not.

What other changes are there?  :angel: Good & Bad  >:D?

We are starting the process, but i would just like to know beforehand. I am already convinced, i don't mind the weather, the money or the nice cars, i am already excited to start a new life. I cant sleep - i'm so excited, though it will take a few months....it will be worth the wait.

Offline Paperdoll

Re: whats the difference?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:18:53 am »
Can't speak about cost of living in Auckland or any of the other bigger cities.

But just from our experience, we are 2 people and live in a small town, and would be able to come out with $4,000 a month.  We have 2 cars (OK - grant it, small town, not much driving) and eat well (good meat and veggies - certainly not junkie sausages) and have our treats, biscuits and snacks.  We treat ourselves to take-outs say once a week and do a bit of travelling and sightseeing in our area on the odd weekends. 

Apparently we could get a cheaper house to rent, so we are probably paying extra rent, but we like where we stay and our house is nice and new and warm in winter.  And we do have the extra over to buy some new clothes, do our WOF's, etc and buy bits and pieces for our home.

Granted we do live a simple life and for a start in NZ it is fine and comfortable.

JM2CW.

By the way, still wouldn't go with the agent through, cost too much money for what they do - just my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:28:48 am by Jannee »

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:18:53 am »

Offline Jemsquash

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 08:45:15 am »
thanx, we were just wondering. Its no use trying to convert everything and i have checked out online shopping sites to look at basic costs and it looks like things are a bit more affordable, but one would never know unless they have the experience. We just need to survive in the beginning.

Thank you

Offline Paperdoll

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 09:18:12 am »
Obviously things are dependent on your circumstances - on where you find a job, where you live, how many in the household and what lifestyle you are comfortable with.

It's not hugely flash for us, but honestly we are fine.  We do have a bit of SA money left over which is safely tucked away but we haven't had to use it yet.  Oh, and I forgot to add, this is only on one income.  So, we would extra money when we have 2 incomes.

Offline magusta

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 10:20:54 pm »
my 2c

The weather in NZ is very unpredictable - one moment it is warm & sunny, the next its rain & thunderstorms.
-True.Wet & dreary in the winter May to Dec. I call this the suicide season.
There are earthquakes - how true is this?
-True.
Homes & renting is much more expensive than SA
-True and one step up from a mudhut. A wooden tent. Granted we live in a newer house, still no double glazing. At least we have some heatpumps & insulation.
Living costs are lower than SA
-HAHAHAHA! Funny. Way higher. If you like to keep the same/similar standard of living that is.
Cars are cheaper than SA
-True, but you'll be driving around in older used japanese models. If you like German autos, be prepared to fork-out. Cost of maintenance is higher, WOF  $40 (depends on age of vehicle if older than 5 years every 6 months) / Rego per year $258 per car. If you have an older car and 'something carlike?' is wrong with it, you can't legally use it on the road until it's resolved, week leeway methinks..

Offline vulpes

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 11:45:23 am »
winter is from may to december? am i reading that wrong?
23/08/2010 EOI Submitted
25/08/2010 EOI Selected
10/09/2010 EOI Selection Rescinded
23/05/2010 EOI Re Selected
06/06/2011 ITA Received
27/11/2011 ITA Submitted
10/12/2011 ITA Rejected
16/03/2012 ITA ReSubmitted
11/05/2012 CO Assigned
14/09/2012 Phone Interview
26/10/2012 PR Approved
15/02/2013 In NZ

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:00:14 pm »
no, the seasons are the same as in SA

Summer = December - February
Autumn = March -  May
Winter = June -  August
Spring  = September -  November

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:00:14 pm »

Offline vulpes

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 12:26:35 pm »
cool. nearly had a heart attack!
23/08/2010 EOI Submitted
25/08/2010 EOI Selected
10/09/2010 EOI Selection Rescinded
23/05/2010 EOI Re Selected
06/06/2011 ITA Received
27/11/2011 ITA Submitted
10/12/2011 ITA Rejected
16/03/2012 ITA ReSubmitted
11/05/2012 CO Assigned
14/09/2012 Phone Interview
26/10/2012 PR Approved
15/02/2013 In NZ

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 09:49:02 pm »
There are eathquakes, but the last one of this magnitude was 80 years ago !!  This is why most of the houses are built out of wood. 

The houses are not one up from mudhuts.  We have rented two houses in NZ, both small, but very nice, not damp, and the third we will be renting from Dec, is even a step up.  You just have to keep looking and not take the first that you see. 

Homes are far more expensive than SA.  And smaller with less cupboard space.   But you save on the Armed Response  :2funny:

I would say that living costs are almost the same, bar a few things.  Petrol and diesal is cheaper, there are many grocery items that are cheaper, there are always sales everywhere if you keep your eyes peeled.  Books are expensive, so I buy all my books from Book Depository where it has free shipping.  This week, we had 5 packages arrive.  Vitamins and sunscreen (we don't use sunscreen but have been told that the sun burns here.  So wanted natural one .  Just one bottle here costed $26, so I bought a family pack of 4 different sunscreen SPF factor, a travel tube and a natural bug spray for US$42.   Received our wine, $82 for 12 good bottles.  And some books.   So you don't have to settle for what NZ charges as some things are silly. 

Cars are much cheaper.  We bought a 1992 Isuzu Bighorn, perfect condition and low mileage, for $4200.   Has not given us one hiccup. 

I was really, really, REALLY worried about the weather.  But I have loved Autumn and Winter in the South Island.  Not sure what Spring is going to give us though.  There is more snow and the wind is bringing the cold down from the mountains which is now cold.  Warmer in Winter.  Don't have a hassle with the rain where we live .  Actually enjoy the rainy days. 

Hope that helps some and  :welcome: