Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: A Change in Mindset  (Read 20042 times)

Offline Chan in Wellington

Re: A Change in Mindset
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 01:16:07 pm »
 :o Great 'briefing' for those of us who are still in SA.  Immigration is no picnic, but what could be worse that living in sheer terror each day?  I cannot wait for the day that my kids can ride their bikes down a street again!!  Thanks for the absolute honesty of your post Nolan.
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline alwyn

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 07:49:54 pm »
Actually the Afrikaans person who won't speak english has a complex because he really cannot speak english well and he knows it.  Its more the English speaking person who doesn't want to speak Afrikaans which has the snobby complex :)

But I digress,

Alas I think the arrogance has the following recipe,
1) Take Nationalism.  You have been told during the Apartheid years that you belong to a strong nation (and you do, but divided), that you are the best in every possible aspect of life, business, science, sports, etc.  In some you were and we only see the evidence now when we compare it to the New South Africa.  Regardless for decades there was little external inputs to cut us down to size.
2) No beating about the bush.  What you see is what you get and what you say better be for real or you are just not good enough. This is not necessarily bad as long as you don't behave like a digg because of it.  On the other hand the recent trend is to not have morals at all.
3) Point 1) is taken to personal levels.  This is reaching high levels in South Africa as your culture and race is being destroyed.  You are increasingly alone, you, your family against the rest.  So you are your own nation and your nation is special and nobody else measures up.
4) Ignorance.  Lets face it, very few South Africans have seen the rest of the world.  In short we do not know how to behave differently from what is acceptable in our thick skinned circle of friends.

Mix them all together and you have a dangerous combination.  If he wins he will tell you he is better than you, anything else and he will be equally arrogant because he cannot handle the truth.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 07:49:54 pm »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 09:21:52 pm »
I don't believe in throwing my heritage away just because I am immigrating to New Zealand.  When I get citizenship I will be a South African Kiwi, before then, I am a South African living in New Zealand. 

As long as I am not arrogant about it, I can also teach the Kiwi's a new thing or two.  My friends here find it funny when I say granadilla.  They say it is passionfruit, I say it is granadilla.  They say mandarin, I say nartjie.  As long as we understand each other, we can both call it by the names we have learnt.  And if someone gets upset by that, well then, like my mom taught me and I teach my daughters, they are not worth having as friends then, so just ignore them. 

I was born in Rhodesia, but don't celebrate it.  I am half Icelandic, and celebrate Icelandic National Day every 17th June, I don't celebrate any South African days because I never did in SA, so why start now ?  I can love my country without the celebrations, and without being construed as a racist, can't I ? 

One thing you guys out there who are not in NZ need to understand is that the average Kiwi has no idea what it is like to live in SA, with all its huge emotional fears ,the crime, etc.  They don't understand, and I think they are lucky they don't.  So dont' expect them to feel sorry for you.  They can't .

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 09:39:58 pm »
I don't believe in throwing my heritage away just because I am immigrating to New Zealand.  When I get citizenship I will be a South African Kiwi, before then, I am a South African living in New Zealand.

That is exactly why my "name" is SAKiwiBoer. I am a South African, becoming a Kiwi, but in my heart of heart's I'll always be a Boer. But I hope my kids fully become kiwi's because in 10 and 20 years from now I want them to think of themselves as kiwi's that were once from South Africa. But Kiwi's non the less. Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 12:02:23 am »
Schalk -  O0 Mate. See ya later, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline robcraignz

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 12:08:06 am »
Hey Schalk, good thoughts and sentiments mate. I do agree with a lot of what you say. My wife is born and bred Saffer. I am born Northern Rhodesia and rasied Saffer. So, I think that might explain why, I don't have such a hassle in denouncing SA fully. But, you are so correct that there will always be a part (no matter how big or small) that will belong to SA or Africa, at least. O0 :smart: :coffee: O0

Offline magusta

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 03:33:25 am »
my 2c :

i will never be a kiwi, i was born a south african and am living in nz. if i stick around long enough for citizenship...i'll remain a south-african in new zealand. i have travelled *extensively* and am proud of my heritage. i've dated german, italian, irish, rhodesian and english girls but married an afrikaans girl, never thought i would...i'm afrikaans myself. my kids will grow-up bilingual (at least) and will learn south african history up to pre-94.

thanks to my travels i have a very feint accent, many a time have i been asked in good 'ole SA "how long have you been in the country?" or "from which part of the world are you?" guess growing up in durbs i shook the accent from an early age. i'll probably end up sending our kids to elocution lessons toning down or removing their accent completely.

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 03:33:25 am »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 06:23:03 am »
my 2c :

imy kids will grow-up bilingual (at least) and will learn south african history up to pre-94.
Why only until then ?  That is like just learning about Germany before the war !!!   They need to know everything .
guess growing up in durbs i shook the accent from an early age. i'll probably end up sending our kids to elocution lessons toning down or removing their accent completely.

We are the same.  People here in NZ can't place us and think we are Kiwi's ,, people in SA thought we were Kiwi's , don't have broad accents. However, my youngest daughter has an american accent (so I am told ) .

But why remove your kids accents ?  That is like it is dirty.  It is not, it is part of them and their heritage. 

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 06:23:45 am »
All I can say Schalk is  :not_worthy:

Ursula

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 07:06:13 am »
I love this forum - so many different opinions.  I was born a Rhodie, lived in Cape Town, Namibia and then Canada, now in Natal.  I can't wait to experience the NZ way of life and culture!!
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline MetalFaerie

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 02:03:50 pm »
Really, really interesting reading folks.

You all make excellent points.

We will always be Africans at least.  Our kids will be kiwis.
As a parent, I don't want my kids to be picked on, that's why I thought adopting the accent would be better.

And I agree, a naartjie will always be so and a grenadilla too.

By the way, do you have gemsquash in NZ?  Apparently in Aus, they are called 'cricket ball marrows'

I was reading an article in the NZ herald about South Africans saying NZ women are ugly?
What do you think? (Personally, have looked and drawn a blank at where this article was 'sposed to be in SA press)

Offline Kwikkie

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 03:57:27 pm »
Daar is min so goed soos 'n boeremeisie
H'm, my Ingelse-skoonseun is baie in sy noppies met sy boeremeisie! want....
sy kan so lekker kos kook en wat is nou weer daardie ander ding?.... o ja, sy is baie slim!
Ons bly - hulle ry

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 03:57:27 pm »

Offline alwyn

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 06:10:59 pm »
I think Prince William needs a boere meisie instead of a bun :)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 08:52:15 pm »
I will become the best Kiwi I can, but deep inside I'll always be an African.

Metal, Kiwi chicks are hot, don't pay any attention to that article!

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 09:34:22 pm »
I was reading an article in the NZ herald about South Africans saying NZ women are ugly?
What do you think? (Personally, have looked and drawn a blank at where this article was 'sposed to be in SA press)

I think this problem comes in when you leave ACKL or Wellywood or those seriously big cities. The chicks on the "platteland" don't actually look as if they give a darn. They go shopping in their "slippers" and PJ's and their hair haven't seen a brush in a couple of days or they wash it and let it dry without giving it a brush. Just come out to the "sticks" and you might see the "ugly NZ women" that the Saffers talk about. Sorry but that is the way I've seen it. SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA