Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: A Change in Mindset  (Read 24309 times)

Offline nosyparkers

Re: A Change in Mindset
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2010, 03:17:27 pm »
We are all scatterlings of Africa - each and every one.  (Johnny Clegg.)

I was born Rhodesian, came to SA in 84, going to NZ in 2011 (hopefully!!)  :)

my blood is african, doesn't matter where in the world my body is.
PR - July 2010
Landed in Auckland 13th Jan 2011
Started work on 2nd May 2011
Life is beautiful!!!

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2010, 10:46:59 pm »
Jeez Alwyn, I read stories like that and wonder what is happening in this world ?  I do not think that a 15 year old is mature enough to raise a baby, so she should not be having sex ?  What happened to playing spin the bottle and having a kiss ?   

All I can do is bring my child up to not fold into peer pressure, and so far she does not give a damn if someone is doing something and she does not want to.  Hopefully that continues !!!  As for my youngest.  Oops, I worry about her although she is only 8 years old.  She is too trusting .

Scary . 

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2010, 10:46:59 pm »

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2010, 11:28:20 pm »
What happened to playing spin the bottle and having a kiss ?

It's progressed. Just like everything else in life. Everything evolves, even people and habits.  :o SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2010, 11:36:47 pm »
it is because humans get bored. If we didn't we would all still be sleeping under a tree. It makes us invent new things and push the boundaries all the time. I does also mean that we push ALL the boundaries further and further, even the ones we shouldn't - you just need to compare the level of violence shown in the movies now and 10 years ago to see it.

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2010, 01:28:46 am »
I think I want to go back to sleeping under a tree !!!  Problem is, it is too cold to do that here  :2funny:

Offline alwyn

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2010, 09:07:57 am »
I think in this new age there is just too much outside pressure on kids and at the same time their resolve is much weaker than ours were at the same time.

The new generation also has to have instant satisfaction and can't keep themselves busy.  The latter mostly because most ways of keeping yourself busy these days doesn't involve getting of your backside so they become lazy (and selfish).

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2010, 11:13:05 am »
Should I stay or Should I go??????

Been so ampted to get our process going, now that it is, just got off the phone with a friend who thinks we are crazy to be going, SA has so much to offer, the weather, the sport, the 'good life' etc.  It's days like today that I wonder if we are doing the right thing!!!!!!
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2010, 11:13:05 am »

Offline BeninCPT

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2010, 11:33:24 am »
Don't worry Chantelle.
I feel like that every time I see how much my mom and dad enjoys playing with my baby girl.
But leave I will leave

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2010, 11:53:14 am »
Don't worry  :1hug: that is all part of the process. We are leaving in a months time (today   :sweat:) and we are wondering if we are doing the right thing every single day.

The problem is that you will never know if it is the right thing until you have tried it, you will always wonder.  ;)

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2010, 12:01:53 pm »
I just hope it is the right thing, when people close to you start saying that SA has a bright future (see latest speech by Clem Sunter) and that we are running away from problems in SA to have more in NZ....I feel sick, but other days I can't wait to leave!  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2010, 12:27:12 pm »
At this stage I think that a lot of people are saying that Sa has a bright future- well good on them SA need these positive people and I respect their opinions but................. for us, SA is taking our inner peace away (hope this makes sense), IMy husband and I cannot function on maybe's / predictions 'cause this could have a huge impact on our future. We can also not function in grey areas anymore and in SA there are loads of grey areas, from what I understand is that in NZ, something is either white or black- there are no grey areas. Something is either right or wrong, in SA you are not 100% sure as to what the future holds and unfortunately I cannot function like that anymore.

Hope this makes sense, I know how you feel, I was there a few months ago.  :gl2: welcome to the emotional part of your journey Chan  :1hug:

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2010, 12:32:04 pm »
Thank you...that's what I need to hear! O0

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2010, 12:32:04 pm »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2010, 08:54:18 pm »
I just hope it is the right thing, when people close to you start saying that SA has a bright future (see latest speech by Clem Sunter)

Who is the bright future for ?  Will it change the angry, poverty stricken people who are the ones out to steal, rape and harm ?  I don't think so.  Maybe more money will pour it, but how are you going to change an entire mindset of people?  Those that are angry, both black and white, those that are scared , both black and white, those that don't care ?   Clem Sunter has written on the downfall of our nation before.  That is his job and his personal opinions tend to waver .

I left Zimbabwe, now South Africa, and I am completely Africa-ed out !!

I don't see any brightness, apart from higher watt security lights being installed . :2funny:

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2010, 09:00:21 pm »
I left Zimbabwe, now South Africa, and I am completely Africa-ed out !!

I don't see any brightness, apart from higher watt security lights being installed . :2funny:

:2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:
Well with the higher watt security lights being installed they WILL have a BRIGHTER FUTURE ...  :2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:

Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2010, 09:42:39 pm »
SA has so much to offer, the weather, the sport, the 'good life' etc.  It's days like today that I wonder if we are doing the right thing!!!!!!

SA has so much to offer if you are looking for instability, job, insecurity, danger to person, degrading infrastructure, dropping education standard. I am not looking for that, I am looking for the ability to sleep peacefully at night, an internationally recognised education for my kids and the ability to compete in the business arena on an equal footing and not based on the colour of my skin or from being excluded because of perceived "previous advantages" that were supposedly afforded to me in days gone by.

The weather in NZ (compared to Auckland where I live) is just as good as in SA - A little cooler in summer - thank goodness, much warmer in winter - thank goodness and a bit more rainy - less hayfever, cleaner air and better sleeps at night listening to the rain.

Sport - is universaly broadcast so you can watch exactly the same sport here, but yes I'll give her that one. To see most good international sport, you either need to wake up very early in the morning or catch the replay.

The good life - I really can't see what is so good about being scared to climb in your car wondering if somebody is going to write you off because he didn't want to stop at the traffic light or kill you for your car. I can't see what is so good about not being able to allow the kids to school in case they get stolen, raped or killed. I don't know what is so good about not being able to drive into your own property without the fear of some sick scum waiting in the bushes or following you so he can kill you and take your car. I don't know what is so good about having to lock a security door on your front door and live with burglar bars on your windows to keep out the stealing, raping hoardes. I don't know what is so good about not being able to have a braai in your own back yard without the constant fear of a group a scum jumping over the wall to rape and plunder you. I don't know what is so good about not being able to get a job that you deserve because you are not black enough. I don't know what is so good about not being able to tender on government contracts because you are not black. I don't know what is so good about being forced to employ employees because they are black instead of capable or best for the position regardless of colour. I don't know what is so good about not being able to go to university because the "quota" of whites allowed is full. I don't know what is so good about not being able to compete at sport because of the colour of your skin. I better stop now because I am busy getting upset with your friend...

The irony is if I had written this 20 years ago, you would have thought I was a black man and writing from an apartheid South Africa and published it in the London Times, New York Times, New Zealand Herald, etc., but now it being written by white, "coloured", "Indian", Chinese, etc men from current day apartheid South Africa and nobody gives a :censored: or bats an eyelid.