Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: A Change in Mindset  (Read 21653 times)

Offline Chan in Wellington

Re: A Change in Mindset
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2010, 06:51:15 am »
@ Nolan - thank you, thank you!  Perfect for me to read this morning as I get to work!  I am going to quote your 'article' and send to my friend.  My OH said last night that perhaps people that know they are not able to go to NZ are jealous and try to make us stay behind with the rest of them  >:D - who knows, but you are right with everything you said.  The company I work for has just appointed someone of 'colour' into a position that I have wanted and worked towards for 2 years (been with this company for 6).  Now he can't do the job and is forever in my office asking me for help.  Well NO MORE!!!  My son, who wants to go to Varsity in 3 years time, is horrified that I would even think of sending him anywhere locally.  So yes, you are 100% correct with everything you say.  Today will be a better day for me. O0
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline Centurionite

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2010, 10:14:37 am »
Well said Nolan, and I do agree with everything you said - and that is why we came to NZ also.

Unfortunately, there is more than one reason why we have not settled/been happy here - but we do not regret our decision to leave SA.

I think people need to ask themselves if they want to get out of SA before being raped or murdered - and if the answer is Yes, then leave.

If you do not settle in NZ, like quite a few people we know - then either you can be stupid enough to go back to SA or explore the option of going to other countries.

At least NZ, will buy you some 'life time' to live your life - and then make a more informed decision - and not one out of fear.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2010, 10:14:37 am »

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2010, 11:34:50 am »
Excellent Nolan!  :clap:
 O0
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:37:03 am by frodo/maya »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2010, 12:35:55 pm »
agreed Centurionite O0

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2010, 06:16:08 pm »
The company I work for has just appointed someone of 'colour' into a position that I have wanted and worked towards for 2 years (been with this company for 6).  Now he can't do the job and is forever in my office asking me for help.  Well NO MORE!!! 

CiD - Your reply to this "person" should be... "Sorry, I don't know. That is NOT my job and I don't know what is going on there, plus I don't get the money for it so I wouldn't know, Sorry. Ask somebody else..."

@Nolan & Centurionite - You guys are right. All of us should keep our options open. If it's NZ, then "Sweet Ass", if it's not, then let the games begin, or should I say, carry on...  :2funny:
Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Adele2310

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2010, 06:53:07 pm »
So I am very new to the these forums this is only my second post:)  but I would like to comment.  I have been living in the USA for the last 13 years and have been back to visit SA periodically the most recent time being May of last year.  Since I have been in the USA I have somewhat 'americanized' the way I speak not because I am losing who I am but rather because its just easier to be understood.  Whenever I make new american friends I always make a point about talking about the differences in english between America and SA.  The one that always gets them rolling is what we call a hooter in SA is actually a woman's breast here!

So this is how I see the whole thing.  I adapted and embraced the American culture while I was here and truly tried to become a contributing member of their society but I kept most of the SA accent even though Mom says I sound like a Yankee.  I think that the Americans could tell that I respected their way of being and were eager to learn the differences.

Concerning my move to NZ I plan on learning the local terminology and using it.  I will be supporting the All Black Rugby team and this country will be my new home.  At every opportunity I will laugh and joke with the Kiwi's and tell them about how things were different in SA but most importantly i will respect there way of life because they are giving me opportunities and a home which I would never have had back in SA.

Thank you for your post Nolan!

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2010, 07:27:38 pm »
 :clap:   O0   ;)  Excellent !!!
Enjoy your journey, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2010, 07:27:38 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2010, 08:54:35 pm »
and that is why you have and will immigrate successfully again Adele O0

Offline Mongrel Mobster

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2010, 09:25:14 pm »
Well said Nolan, no way I could have said it better!
Kind regards,

Edwin

Offline robcraignz

« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2010, 11:32:23 pm »
Yep, Nolan, it is your insights that have you as "Supreme being" here. As you have seen it all, and your comments are from personal experience (comments I agree with completely), well said. O0 O0 O0
Adele, your attitude is good and correct, and as per Nolan, it is for that attitude, that will ensure your successful intergration into Kiwi life - good luck.  :gl2:

Offline ryanrich

« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2010, 06:49:40 pm »
I just hope it is the right thing, when people close to you start saying that SA has a bright future (see latest speech by Clem Sunter) and that we are running away from problems in SA to have more in NZ....I feel sick, but other days I can't wait to leave!  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

I sincerely HOPE that SA has a bright future, but what are these people basing that on? In my experience it's usually people that live a privileged life in SA and take advantage of the many private services that are still functioning well that have this mindset. They often look at things like the World Cup and the great spirit that it brought to the country and become oblivious to the true state of the country and government. A trip to a government hospital and other government institutions will tell a different story. One of corruption and a completely collapsing infrastructure. When you look at the bigger picture and the fact that there are so few tax payers in SA supporting a majority of the population, it's hard to see this bright future anytime soon I'm afraid.

Things could go either way in SA, but when I look at the violence and hatred in the crimes being commited, inequality, ever dropping standards and continuing racism from so many leaders and politicians, I ask myself is it worth the risk of staying if you have the opportunity to leave for a much brighter and more stable future. I don't think it is. SA will always be there, and if push comes to shove you can always return one day, but once you experience real freedom and a country that truly takes care of it's citizens and doesn't just preach about it, I doubt you will want to... I hear every day about another family attacked on their smallholding or another farmer that has been violently murdered, yet most people nowadays brush it aside saying I'm being negative and it's the MEDIA'S fault for distorting the truth because all countries have such crime, the media just doesn't report on it as much, and then carry on saying what a bright future SA has and how the world cup has brought such a great "gees" to the country. Are you kidding me?! I just can't accept that. Until the government and people in general start accepting that SA is in a very bad place, I just dunno... I tried for many years to "make a difference" as they say, but it was like peeing into the wind, if you'll excuse my French. :D

It actually makes me extremely sad that some peoples family members choose to not speak to them anymore and say what a mistake they're making when they choose to emigrate. It's things like that, that can put seeds of doubt in your mind, but remember what your initial reasoning was for wanting to emigrate, and know that you're making the right decision. Many people go through this, but on this forum you'll always find like minded people who will understand where you're coming from and will help you with any feelings of doubt.

:gl2:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2010, 08:30:31 pm »
O0

« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2010, 08:30:31 pm »

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2010, 08:47:58 pm »
  ;)   O0
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2010, 06:23:04 am »
 :clap: :clap: :twothumbs:

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2010, 06:45:53 am »
Thanks ryanrich, great input for us  ;D
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.