Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Hello from Durban ...  (Read 3091 times)

Offline crawford.bernice

Hello from Durban ...
« on: April 20, 2007, 12:10:41 pm »
Hi there, I have just joined, and wow, what a fantastic site!!  We, as a family have made the decision to immigrate to NZ this year.  It has been quite a hectic decision to make but I think it's the right one in terms of my children's future.  I am going to come over in Aug / Sep this year, secure a job, get my work permit and then my husband and children will come over.  In terms of schooling, what are the schools like compared to SA? With regards to employement, does anyone know of any good IT job sites?

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
Re: Hello from Durban ...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 03:47:13 pm »
Hi and welcome !

See this thread I made regarding IT stuff:

http://www.sagoingtonz.co.nz/forum/index.php/topic,529.msg4299.html#new

Nolan should have a section up soon on all the various IT agencies in the "My Move" section.

What area of IT are you in ? Do you have any qualifications ?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 04:49:41 pm by Rhodan »

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 03:47:13 pm »

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 05:48:31 pm »
Hi Bernice

Welcome we are also in Durban and hoping to go in  August / September.
What areas are you thinking about?

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 10:05:33 pm »
Welcome bernice :clap:
As said above, most of your questions you are asking have already answered in the forums O0

All the best with your plans O0

Offline crawford.bernice

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 06:21:11 am »
Hi MJ
We are probably going to go to Auckland as there are far more job opportunites there.

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 06:47:34 am »
Great, good luck with your process :gl:

Offline Sandramiles

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 03:20:53 pm »
Welcome Bernice

We are always from Durban and hoping to be in NZ by November this year.  Pity you did not join the site about three weeks ago, we had a most enjoyable meetup braai at MJ's house and were able to chat and exchange losts of info.

No worries, becasue everything you need to know you will find on this site :)

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 03:20:53 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 08:39:24 am »
Hi Bernice, welcome to the site.

:gl: with the application

Offline crawford.bernice

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 07:38:52 am »
Rhoden, to answer your question, I work primarily with the Syspro ERP System, Syspro Analytics (BI Software), SQL 2000/2005, Reporting Services, etc.  I have the following Microsoft certifications, MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCSA - unfortunately these qualifications don't count towards the points system.

In terms of area's, which area do you guy's recommend we start in, Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch?  We have been debating between Auckland and Wellington, any suggestions?  I personally prefer the country feel, but I suppose we need to start where the jobs are.

We are going to be using Protea Pacific to help us with the immigration process, has anyone else used them or will be using them? 

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 09:38:32 am »
@ crawford.bernice ... have you booked your flight tickets yet ? If so, who are you flying with and whats the cost per adult ?

Offline crawford.bernice

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 10:10:42 am »
Hi Rhoden, no, I haven't booked my flight as yet, the flight costs seem to range from R10000.00 +

Offline Sandramiles

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 07:55:08 pm »
Hi All (especially MJ & Nolan)

We are back had a huge computer crash causing us to be off line for the last month.  No worries now we back on line.  Actually missed you guys.  Seems I have a lot of catching up to do - lots of newbies and news been posted.  I will have to spend at least a full day just catching up. ;D

FANSTATIC NEWS!! Nolan on the newbie coming along, tell Mel I say congrats. :twothumbs:

Lots been happening with us we sold the house so that is one less stress.  We have booked Charlie's flight for mid July so he is off to find a job and then we will follow as soon as.  Our EOI submitted but will be reliant on the job offer so I guess we wait.

Anyone heard any good things about Newstart Homestay in Auckland, we looking for somewhere for Charlie to stay when he arrives.  Anyone got any others they know of please let me know.

We used OCS Worldwide Couriers to send our full assessment docs and they are really reasonable - R321 for 500g compared to DHL of R434.  Contact no 031 304 0924
We able to track the package the entire time.

Also some of you might have heard about Cargopak they are a removal company, quite reasonable and Don gives a professional service, we going to use them when we go.

Okay long enough for now.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 07:55:08 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 08:53:02 pm »
Welcome back Sandra  :clap: , was starting to get worried there that you guys had changed your minds :-\

Thanks for the congrats and the info. Somebody was talking about Newstart the other day, maybe it was Johan?

Let us know how it goes with Cargopak, I may also have another company to tell everybody about soon...

Look after that computer now, we don't want you guys dissappearing on us again  :knuppel2:

Offline WendyH

• Certified Addict
  • Otorohanga, Waikato
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 07:21:26 am »
I was asking about Newstart ie whether it would be a good idea to stay there if I am on an LSD trip - what would immigration say - but Yolanda recommended it in an earlier post that I don't know how to copy to here!!
It's run by an ex SA couple at very reasonable prices and their website is www.newstart.co.nz - sorry can't remember how to make this a link!!  :idiot2: :confused:
EOI selected - 21 May 2008
ITA received - 1 July 2008
ITA lodged - 14 July 2008
PR approved in principle 04 May 2009
Received passports with stickers - 03 June 2009

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 07:46:18 am »
I'm looking at staying at Newstart, or this one over here.

It's also run by a SA couple.