Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: NZ mince  (Read 3603 times)

Offline maanhaarleeu

NZ mince
« on: May 27, 2010, 09:03:20 am »
Have to say that the mince here in NZ tastes really good compared to SA.
We buy from Countdown/Foodtown/Woolworths and it's not expensive but tastes better than SA woolworths mince.
Pick 'n pay/Checkers mince made me nauseous especially when it was being cooked, it just did not smell like
there was ANY meat in it  ...  :envy:

Now I can just imagine how nice boerewors here in NZ will be.
Auckland NZ, Howick

Offline Awa

Re: NZ mince
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 09:05:44 am »
Elite meats in Hamilton makes the best boerewors, biltong and droewors!  I'm gonne go and get some tomorrow  :yippee:
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 09:05:44 am »

Offline Paperdoll

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 10:44:41 am »
Have to agree.  I also thought the mince is so much better here.  The prime beef mince is superb, a little more pricey, but nice and finely minced (hate course mince!) and with very little fat content.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 06:50:27 pm »
Elite meats in Hamilton makes the best boerewors, biltong and droewors!  I'm gonne go and get some tomorrow  :yippee:

Hmmm, maybe we should "visit" Hamilton for a change and find out ::::::  ::)   ::) , maybe  ;) .
Cheers, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline magusta

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 10:16:03 pm »

+1

Offline Werner

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 10:59:14 pm »
ditto on the mince but still can't get used to the pork  :(
Job Offer Rec 17/11/08
EOI Selected 19/11/08
ITA Rec 13/12/08
ITA Submitted 06/01/09
PR Granted 05/03/09

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 01:07:44 am »
We have found a farmer that sells Prime Lamb (the stuff that is not on the supermarkets but exported ) directly to the public at the Farmers Market, and which is cheaper than the stuff in the supermarket.  I bought some neck and could not believe the thickness of it compared to the thin little necks in SA (that come from NZ !!  They obviously slice them into thirds !!  :P ) and the taste.  Bought lamb shanks, something I never did in SA because of the price, and  they were so delicious .  Family gave it a big thumbs up  :smitten:  So, off to market on Wednesday to get some more. 

I do love the chicken here.  I have some boerewors lurking in my freezer, but to be honest, I am scared to try it.  Will have to bite the bullet soon.  Luckily we have a dog here and if he doesnt' want it, then Ben the pig can eat it  :clap: :2funny: :2funny:

Pak n Save makes a wonderful smoked gammon for about $6, and it goes fantastically with my vegetable soup .  I make a huge pot, then freeze the rest for cold day lunches.  Like today.  8.4 degrees outside !! 

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 01:07:44 am »

Offline robcraignz

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 03:46:46 am »
There are a few places that do rather nice boerewors. Always been fascinated by the Mad Butcher's "world famous boerewors", but hey, it still tastes pretty good. Biltong from Springbok butchery in Linden and SA shop in Petone, is rather good too. However, 2 kilos of rump steak at Pak 'n Save for $25 is awesome. Not only is it really good stuff, we take 3 packs (max allowed per customer is 5) and that, repacked gives us 6 really large steak meals. The quality is fantastic (had some last night - mmmmmmmmm). O0 O0 O0
But, I suppose there is definitely no harm in checking out the meat quality in other parts of NZ, 2 birds with one stone and so on ......... eat the food, check out the place, now that doesn't sound too shabby at all.  :angel: O0

Offline tmprince

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland New Zealand
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 07:08:09 am »
Just so that you guys know , I am planning to not cook for at least 3 months - why? cause I am coming to all of you in turn to get fed  ;D
I am even making a special trip down to Roto cause Nico is always bragging about Eileens cooking.
so its veg soup and Gammon by Savayla, Rump steak at rogcraignz,Mince dish by Vernon,Pork and diet food by Schalk and the list goes on and if I have any of  homemade icecream that is being delivered to me on the airport I might bring it with for MY pudding  >:D
Lovies
Marcia
EOI submitted   13-01-09
EOI selected     28-01-09
ITA recieved     09-02-09
ITA submitted   24-06-09
ITA lodged       26-06-09
CO assigned     28-09-09
WTR approved  14-05-2010
Arrived 01-07-2010
PR March 2011
5 YEARS TODAY 01-07-2015

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 07:52:19 am »
You are quite  :welcome:  tmprince , anytime.  Just give me time to drive to Richmond to buy my gammon, bake a heartly loaf of beer bread , some decent red wine, and we can chew the fat .....

Offline Paperdoll

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 08:34:20 am »
We don't find the boerewors too bad either.  It is not so fatty, but then we like it like that.  We give the flavoured sausages a miss though - they just don't appeal to us.  I'm even had a sausage sizzler or two.  Still prefer the good ole boerie roll, but hey, I'm getting used to the ole sizzler as well.

Offline paula

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 08:43:45 am »
sos sizzles crack me up! when we first arrived we thought they had run out of rolls and were using bread as a last resort!!

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 08:43:45 am »

Offline Snoozy

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 09:12:24 am »
love the sausage sizzles outside the warehouse etc - nice little fundraisers...:)

as long you as you get premium lean mince over here, it's good. We have found the normal mince to contain LOTS of liver, although that may just be pak n save..

Offline addywads

• Hastings, Hawkes Bay
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 11:14:52 pm »
It took me a while to get used to the taste of the meat - I think in SA we feed too many concentrates to the animals and here all they eat is grass (well mostly) and it gives a different taste to the meat - I don't know, I'm not a farmer.  A butcher friend told me that they also dont let the meat hang very long enough and so it all tasted and smelt like blood to me!  Someone suggested taking the plastic wrapping off and leaving it in the fridge for two days or so before freezing it?  We hang our meat in SA because of parasites - here they just slag and pack  :clap:  I have gotten used to the meat now but it took time.  Freshzone Boerewors from Countdown is not bad. You can get good specials and thats the time to fill the freezer  :)
Life is too short for regrets.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 04:17:06 am »
We like the meat in NZ in general. We have also found that the meat is a whee bit sweeter than the meat in SA and you have to adjust the spices accordingly otherwise it just doesn't taste right. Some times the rump stakes is very cheap like everyone said. I like the specials on rump at the Mad Butcher. Most of the time it goes for around $10 to $12 per kg and you can buy a 5kg block which I take and cut into "steaks" and make biltong out of it. Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)