Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: NZ mince  (Read 3604 times)

Offline maanhaarleeu

Re: NZ mince
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 07:39:03 am »
I also still find it welcoming that the rump steaks are so cheap here.  I have learned that when the meat appear on the shelves at Foodtown/Countdown/Woolworth they say that it was NZ$x and is now NZ$x-discount so it appears like it's permanently on special.
The thing I like the most is that if you go to the chain stores mentioned above, that 2 days before their expire date they mark the rump
with a "Reduced" sticker and then the price is almost from NZ$12 to NZ$6 which is half price.  Then I can't resist buying it as we have also learned that you don't buy anything if it's not on special.

My wife calls me now the chinese bargain hunter because of that old advertisement in SA where the chinese guy goes to all the stores and
asks for "Discount, Discount" everywhere.  Sometimes I even pronounce it correctly: "dis-kaun, dis-kaun" whilst holding the items I want in my hand.  So far the chain stores doesn't want to budge on the price for groceries, but I have been very successful everywhere else.
I've even tried to bargain with the guys at the appliance shed and got a wee bit of a discount.  O0
Auckland NZ, Howick

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 03:45:41 pm »
I've even tried to bargain with the guys at the appliance shed and got a wee bit of a discount.  O0

You and I are very alike. I love to barter. I "negotiate" for nearly anything. Also haven't got it right for the food yet but I suppose that is why the stuff go on "reduced price"... They give up even before I started, so then I don't go any "further"....  :2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:
Cheers, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 03:45:41 pm »

Offline robcraignz

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 03:39:03 am »
tmprince, just got some awesome beef steaks from Soweto,....... only kidding. Congrats on your team becoming S14 Champions for 2010, and the moment you arrive, you're  :welcome: to pop round and give the steaks a whirl - they really are worth it. Is the date set for  :flight: arrival in Godzone yet??

Offline Shirls

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 05:11:02 am »
We love the prime mince from Pak and save... and it is cheaper if you buy it from the butcher counter than prepacked out of the fridge! Our New World is a far better butcher but its just getting too expensive to shop there!

LOL @ Jackie... I was thinking Elite meats wonder where they are! Then the lights came on - I know them as the SA shop! LOL!!! Agreed he does do good wors, but I think he could add more spice to the biltong. Also had steaks from him very $$$ but out of this world!

Offline Awa

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 10:19:56 am »
 :2funny:  Yes I also call Elite the SA shop!  Haven't had any steak from there because of the $$$ but maybe one day....
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011