Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Howzit from Gauteng!  (Read 2417 times)

Offline 2GatJakkals

Howzit from Gauteng!
« on: June 25, 2010, 10:05:24 am »
Hi All,

I have been reading this forum for some time, and it has broadened my understanding of all things immigration quite a lot!

We've been thinking of immigrating to New Zealand for quite some time now; initially because of concern about escalating crime levels, but for the last two or three years because of political developments as well.  We went over for a holiday to check New Zealand out in August 2009, and we were charmed, to say the least.  It's a wonderful country, and boasts a lifestyle that will suit us perfectly.  But the idea of leaving family and friends behind, and saying good-bye to everything we love here, scares the living daylights out of us.  We are in our forties, and comfortably settled in out careers, kids in high school. The oldest is in matric this year, the youngest in grade 9.

If we leave, it will be a decision we made with our heads, not our hearts.

Anyway, the reason why I call myself 2GatJakkals, is because I am of two minds, weighing up the pro's and con's of leaving or staying...
EOI selected Sept 2011, ITA received Oct 2011, ITA submitted 23 Feb 2012.
Job offer received 10 Apr 2012, Applied for WP 16 Apr 2012, WP issued 24 May 2012, Wife started working in Wellington 1 June 2012.
PR approved 18 July 2012, House in Pretoria sold Oct 2012, Arrived in NZ 1 Dec 2012

Offline addywads

• Hastings, Hawkes Bay
Re: Howzit from Gauteng!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 10:13:34 am »
Hello and welcome!  We have all been through what you are going through so we can empathise....
Life is too short for regrets.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 10:13:34 am »

Offline bardey

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 10:14:50 am »
 :welcome: to the Forum   
:hug:

best of luck with all your Immigration plans - a decision IMHO that becomes wiser and wiser with all that's happening in S.A. currently....

On your trip to NZ last year, what sorts of things impressed you (we're planning a trip later this year, hopefully)

And did you do a specific LSD trip, or did you go over to visit famil/friends?

Sorry for all the whats and whyfors - just find it very interesting hearing other people's experiences about NZ

cheers,
bardey

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 10:56:20 am »
Hi and welcome - we are leaving for the safety, security and freedom that NZ can offer us as a family, as well as the fact that both our children need a DECENT tertiary education and future!  It's not easy, but life should all be about adventure.
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline MetalFaerie

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 02:17:34 pm »
Hi

Welcome

:welcome:

Whereabouts in Gauteng are you?

Which town are you considering in NZ?

What did you love about Auckland?

Cheers

K

Offline 2GatJakkals

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 03:04:13 pm »
Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome!

On your trip to NZ last year, what sorts of things impressed you

Hi Bardey,

I remember late one afternoon, we pulled off from a deserted road near Wanaka on the South Island, to admire the sunset over a lake, with snow-capped mountains in the distance,  when a young woman on a bicycle came pedalling by.  She stopped for a chat, and we learned that she was on her way to a neighbouring town, still some 2 hours away for her, without a care in the world!  Something like that would be unthinkable in South Africa:  both the fact that she was alone on a deserted road while it was getting dark, and that she got into a conversation with complete strangers...  There were many other experiences like this one, which put New Zealand's relatively crime-free society in stark contrast with our own.  It took us some time to realise that we can relax about dark alleys in city centres, or sleeping with open windows at night.  If it is freedom from fear of criminals you are looking for, you will defintely find it in New Zealand!

What we also liked, was that most of the small towns in New Zealand look the way they did in South Africa, thirty years ago: clean, well maintained, lively and friendly!  Unlike the sad deterioration of most of the platteland in South Africa.

Quote from: bardey
did you do a specific LSD trip, or did you go over to visit famil/friends?

It was a LSD trip. We have no friends or family in New Zealand.

We toured both the North and South Islands in just under 3 weeks,  misjudging the time it took to travel the roads of New Zealand completely!  We were warned, but we didn't expect it to be quite that bad.  Much of New Zealand's roads look like the alternative routes to the N2 through Wilderness and Knysna:  very picturesque, but you seldom manage an average speed of more than 60 to 80 km/h.  In the end we felt we should have concentrated on two or three areas, in stead of trying to cover the whole country.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:19:33 pm by 2GatJakkals »
Job offer received 10 Apr 2012, Applied for WP 16 Apr 2012, WP issued 24 May 2012, Wife started working in Wellington 1 June 2012.
PR approved 18 July 2012, House in Pretoria sold Oct 2012, Arrived in NZ 1 Dec 2012

Offline 2GatJakkals

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 03:17:48 pm »
Whereabouts in Gauteng are you?
Which town are you considering in NZ?
What did you love about Auckland?

Hi MetalFaerie!

We live in Faerie Glen, Pretoria.  And from what I have seen during our short visit, I wouldn't mind living in Wellington, despite the wind.  We lost ourselves in that wonderful public library of theirs!  I didn't particularly like Auckland, but that may be because we were so worn-out when we arrived there.  We stopped over in Sydney for three days on our way there, and the excitement about the whole thing kept the jet-lagg at bay for the first few days, but by the time we reached Auckland it caught up with us.  And the weather was bad, leaving me with a rather grey impression of the city, which I know is not true.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:23:34 pm by 2GatJakkals »

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 03:17:48 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 11:32:08 pm »
Leaving friends and family behind is definately the hardest part and doesn't become easier, you just get used to the distance chatting.

Emigrating is essentially a selfish move - you are doing it for you and your personal family. You have to make peace with that because that is your role in life when you have your own family. The best decisions are often the hardest ones to make and I'm sure you guys will make the choice that is best for your family.

:gl: and keep us posted O0

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 07:49:21 am »
Hail and Welcome, 2GJ!  :welcome:

We also almost ignored the warnings about driving times in NZ but the insistence of people we knew eventually got through to us! ;)
We did pretty much the same as you on our LSD - Aug 2008. We spent a week in Auckland and then 2 weeks on the road campervanning. Wellington also struck us as THE place to live, but not unfortunately we ended up in Auckland as that's where the jobs were. We now have PR so will think about moving further South eventually, but right now we've settled into Auckland's somewhat crazier vibe (for now!). There's SO much that happens there in the summer time and the summer has long, lazy days where everyone just takes it all easy. You'll love it! And flights are pretty cheap down to Wellington, so you can always go play there in the weekend.

Re. Wanaka - it was and is our favourite place in NZ and one day (when we're big) we hope to buy a little place and set up shop.

Good luck with the rest of the process!

Cheers,
Susan
07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!

Offline alwyn

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 09:11:07 am »
Went through Wanaka in 2003 and even then it was very expensive property wise, it looked as if there was a lot of property development along the lakes which is not necessarily a good thing.  Wouldn't mind living there, but not sure will ever be able to afford it.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 11:05:23 am »
At least there are all these choices of where to live - with no/little crime!!!

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 04:24:58 pm »
 :welcome: to the family 2gatjakkals!

We are leaving in Aug and leaving family behind is not easy, I do understand believe me. We went to the karoo for 5 days to say our farewells and it was not an easy experience!

:gl2: with all your decisions, been there done that and remember that is what we are here for ;)

Ursula

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 04:24:58 pm »

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 07:13:36 pm »
Yes, just remember the word 'FREEDOM'.  My friend from NZ has a pic on FB of her hands in the air on a beach near Auckland....speaks volumes to me.

Offline cyclewife

• Let the roller coaster ride begin
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 09:31:26 pm »
 :bigwelcome: 2GJ... you're not alone..
We're still in SA...have made the decision to leave - yes for selfish reasons - but at least our families are understanding and encouraging as they know - if they had the goolies - they'd do it too.
Cant wait to visit - hubby has been - my turn now...and my friend in NZ and I are going on a "girlie road trip"...  :yippee: - 21 more sleep and  :flight: off I go.
I have friends in NZ - which I do think makes a difference (for me anyway) - but I've also made friends on this forum...and will be popping in for a visit to "pick their brains" when I'm there.
Luckily - i've left the itinerary to Theresa to do... as I would want to cover 100 km in less than an hour... mmmmm that won't be happening. :uglystupid2:
Enjoy the forum and I wish you everything of the best in your decision making process (hey - it took me more than FIVE years to decide)  :2funny:
Medicals Done - 31 Aug 2011
LTBV app sent - 16 Sept 2011
LTBV approved - 10 Feb 2012
Passports sent - 10 Feb 2012
Passports received with visa - 20 Feb 2012
House sold - 25 Feb 2012
Attorney instructed - 08 March 2012

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 05:09:37 am »
(hey - it took me more than FIVE years to decide)  :2funny: 

...And you wanna get here how quickly  :confused: ???
Just asking  ::) , enjoy, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)