Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: A TAD DISAPPOINTED  (Read 2080 times)

Offline cyclewife

• Let the roller coaster ride begin
A TAD DISAPPOINTED
« on: June 30, 2010, 12:16:19 pm »
 :'( AHHH...got my "dear John" letter for the job vacancy I applied for and really had hoped I'd be best suited for...
BUT everything happens for a reason... in his letter he stated that he can see how passionate I am about it... and he'd really like to meet me when I'm in New Zealand....they are going through a growth phase so perhaps there will be place for me once there and "settled"...
I replied thanking him for considering my application...and I'd still like to meet him when I'm there next month... an interview with the CEO in the industry where I'll be doing market research for LTBV would carry a lot of "weight" in my business plan...
So he said - GREAT... see you between 20 and 27th July.

Not all is lost then... I personally think that they are s&^%t scared of INZ to offer a offshore applicant a job. Who knows... perhaps things are different when I'm sitting face to face with him... charm the socks off him yet.  O0
Either way - i'll still get SOMETHING out of him for my business plan... so just need to look at the positive side of things... I get "face" time with him... and he can be very influential with "putting a good word" out in the industry for us...

So yeah - a tad disappointed... but not down and out!  ;)
Takes a lot more to get a  Cyclewife Saffer down.  :clap:
Medicals Done - 31 Aug 2011
LTBV app sent - 16 Sept 2011
LTBV approved - 10 Feb 2012
Passports sent - 10 Feb 2012
Passports received with visa - 20 Feb 2012
House sold - 25 Feb 2012
Attorney instructed - 08 March 2012

Offline Chan in Wellington

Re: A TAD DISAPPOINTED
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 01:04:55 pm »
Sorry to hear it...  I don't even have PR yet and was advised to apply for a few jobs at some FMCG's over there, which I did.  2 of them came back to me saying they are very interested, but please contact them when I am in NZ and the other one said that the only reason they can't offer me the job is because I don't have a valid NZ drivers' licence!!  At least they bother to get back to us!
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 01:04:55 pm »

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 01:17:46 pm »
AHHHHHH don't worry like you said everything happens for a reason.

they are going through a growth phase so perhaps there will be place for me once there and "settled"...  :clap:

Know how you feels, we got this comment as well don't get discouraged, I also think they might be a bit reluctant appointing somebody if you are not staying but only visiting.

;)

Ursula

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 08:34:52 pm »
so that's one no down on your way to a yes O0

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:11:05 am »
Don't let it get you down. Many people go through the wringer with the job hunt process...I know cause I was there!
Just stand fast and know the RIGHT job will come around when it is meant to come!!

Cheers
Susan
07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 02:05:21 am »
So yeah - a tad disappointed... but not down and out!  ;)
Takes a lot more to get a  Cyclewife Saffer down.  :clap:

Good on you, keep trying.

2 of them came back to me saying they are very interested, but please contact them when I am in NZ and the other one said that the only reason they can't offer me the job is because I don't have a valid NZ drivers' license!! 

Do you know how easy it is to get a NZ drivers license?? You walk into the AA in NZ, produce your valid SA license, they check your eyes again and voila, you get a valid NZ license.
So how about you come visit NZ and get yourself a job. Enjoy, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 07:38:07 am »
Thanks SAKB, so NOTHING like SA, where they make you take the learners about 5 times, then you wait another year to do the drivers' test, which they fail you on.  All a good money-making scheme!!
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 07:38:07 am »

Offline Mongrel Mobster

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 07:55:50 am »
And remember when you walk into the AA they will also check on there system if you have outstanding fines in SA. They told me that I was "ok" and when I asked what they meant they said to me ok to get a license as I had no outstanding fines in SA.
Kind regards,

Edwin

Offline LoveNZ

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 07:59:43 am »
I had to redo full license for car because mine expired before I came to NZ. Also did my Learners for Motorbike just yesterday, both with the AA on North Shore. Not once did they mention outstanding Traffic Fines back in the good old RSA :confused: :confused: :confused:

Offline cyclewife

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 09:10:35 am »
It is only one man's opinion

It says a lot and is something to keep in mind!  Like Mr Johnny Walker - just keep on walking mate and you will be Good as Gold!!
[/quote]

Thanks - I like that one..  ;)

Chan - the driver's license excuse is just that - an excuse.  And a  :censored: one at that.  and like Nolan said - every no is closer to a yes... you just have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and go for it again.  :clap:
Busy setting up appoints so long...so excited to get on  :flight:

Like DH said - we have both been running our own businesses for so long...especially me... that it might be just what the doctor ordered...an LTBV
Hey - it's been a long time now that I've woken up in the morning, looked at myself in the mirror and said "Good Morning Boss"...  :2funny: Going to take a lot of getting used to having to say that to someone else..  :2funny:
House sold - 25 Feb 2012

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 10:59:55 am »
Hi cyclewife

Like my Gran used to say.......should there be a little change of plan/disappointed 'pick yourself up - dust yourself off and charge........' never ever asked her were too..... :2funny: (Just made bloody good sense at the time......).You have a positive attitude - which is great!!!

Hope all goes well

Kiwiwannabe x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline SimplyNZ123

• NZ-Relocation
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 10:00:09 am »
Hi Cyclewife

I think, in the grand scheme of things, that is quite a positive reply.  Many NZ companies want to see an overseas applicant actually living in the country, I guess too many companies have had their fingers burnt by people emigrating, changing their minds or not actually making the move.  Whilst you know you're keen they don't know that for sure.

My husband was offered a job here in NZ 5 years ago and whilst he had more than enough experience (and had done the big student NZ tour round in his younger days) they still wouldn't offer him a job until I had been to NZ to see what I thought of it!  So we came on a LSD trip for 10 days leaving our daughter with my parents and the rest, as they say, is history.  We've now lived in NZ for 5 years and he's still with the same company!

Don't give up, the fact that they want to meet you is a positve sign and with your trip coming up you can start networking which is what (in my opinion) New Zealand is all about!

:gl2:

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 10:00:09 am »

Offline cyclewife

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 09:13:12 am »
 O0 thanks all for your positive replies.
I'm getting way excited now... haven't even had time to be on my favorite forum.
If this is what it takes to get sorted just to go away for a month - hells bells - million times more organizing once ready to leave permanently... Geez louise...
I've been trying to get myself sorted and the family and the business... been a stressful week.  so  :flight: off I go on Sunday evening...  :yippee:

Will keep you guys posted when there... which leads me to various other questions which I'll start another thread for.....  ;)
House sold - 25 Feb 2012