Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Not allowed to use your SA Credit / Debit Card in NZ-  (Read 2470 times)

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
Not allowed to use your SA Credit / Debit Card in NZ-
« on: July 06, 2010, 01:25:12 pm »
Hi Everybody,

I found this response from a CA (SA) on a question that a person raised on another forum. You are not allowed according to this to use your SA credit/debit cards in another country if you live in the said country. I know of people that are planning to bring their money over on their credit cards and a lot of saffers are not aware of this, thought this ifo might help others. If I understand this correctly it is illegal.

When you live abroad and use a credit card you are in contravention of SA laws. Please ensure the credit card is cancelled BEFORE any application is filed as the bank will report you as suspicious and in contravention

B.04 reads:

(iv) The Authorized Dealer must obtain a written undertaking prior to the person's departure confirming that:
(a) ....deleted
local credit and/or debit cards will not be utilised whilst temporarily abroad. Any deviation from the above-mentioned should be referred to Exchange Control.

You can use your R4m FIA but then you need to re-apply every year as it will only be granted iro post tax money already in your bank account

If you are living in NZ / Aus on certain type of permits, PR or passport it may be that your retirement income is no longer taxed in SA. You need to inform SAIS of your claim accordingly

You may no longer use your R750k travelling allowance"

Does anybody know where one could find more info like this? The SA Reserve Bank website? They have a terrible website!

:)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:38:46 pm by frodo/maya »

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
Re: Not allowed to use your SA Credit / Debit Card in NZ-
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:10:23 pm »
Nope, did not know this or where you can find anything like this.
SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:10:23 pm »

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 07:07:57 pm »
New news to me...gosh I have so much to learn....
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 08:58:21 pm »
this is only really applicable if you "officially" emigrate through the Reserve Bank etc. I didnt. I just left the country as if I was on holiday and never came back.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:32:47 pm »
agree, if you just leave, you are technically "on holiday"

Offline Shirls

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 10:44:59 pm »
We left on "holiday" and no one said a word... HOWEVER

We can now have our RA's paid out to us over here BUT you have to have a blocked rand account etc. What a nightmare this is starting to be trying to get all the paper work together. In fairness Std Bank have been really helpfull, I just need to put bum to chair and plod through it all!

Offline thombatt

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 11:21:20 pm »
This guy is technically right.

You are supposed to "load" however much you want of your travel allowance onto your credit card.

I guess the question is what is the risk. What can the reserve bank do

They could
1 refuse to pay the NZ bank for transactions that have been conducted on the unauthorised card. This would be very very very stupid from a South African international banking point of view. It's effectively a default on the country's international debt. The rand would absolutely plummet.
2 They can cancel your card, so that when you present it it comes up as "declined". This would involve a lot of admin and more than likely you would have had a "please explain" letter from your bank before this was done. Probably not worth it for the small amounts involved. Besides the travel allowances are so big these days most people can get most of their cash out anyway.

If you do get a please explain letter its probably the hint that you need to change your behaviour.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 11:21:20 pm »

Offline magusta

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 02:07:01 am »
have a look at caxtonfx.co.uk - good rates - no fx transfer fees

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 05:37:24 am »
I look forward to my 'holiday'.

How easy is it to open a NZ account from SA?
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 06:29:45 am »
I look forward to my 'holiday'.

How easy is it to open a NZ account from SA?

Easy peezy Chan we opened one from the SA side with ANZ- pm me if you want our contact person's details

For some or other strange reason, a Blocked Rand account is the one thing we missed doing in SA while we were still there. 

This is going to sound real stupid ..... but what is a Blocked Rand account?  :confused: Thanks for the other advice  O0

O0 thanks to all the other's advice as well  O0 I must say that getting the money matters sorted is really not a joke  :pullhair: when you think you have the one thing sorted something else pops up!

Just a last question, will you be able to obtain tax clearance when in NZ? We are also not officially immigrating right now.