Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Hier Kom die Bokke !!  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Re: Hier Kom die Bokke !!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 01:06:02 pm »
jafa77 - thanks for posting that on.....wow! I have no words, being there in person must just be the most amazing feeling!!! Okay, so that is how it works - very interesting!! I have now learned something as well!

Someone mentioned it in passing about the inter schools doing these haka competitions - so had to investigate - WAS SO glad I did.......tend to watch it and the hairs on your neck stand up..... O0 that made my day - and makes me want to get there sooner!!!

Kiwiwannabe

~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 01:24:25 pm »
Sorry jafa77 - can you please tell us......what are they actually saying/chanting? So there must be loads of hakas....different words - not sure how this works??? :o The haka at the major matches between the All Blacks and whoever......is that different to the others??

Once again.....too amazing for words!!

Kiwiwannabe

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 01:24:25 pm »

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 06:59:24 pm »
I havent personally heard of an inter school haka comp the same as ours. There are inter school Kapa haka competitions where schools perform and are judged. slightly different.

There are lots of different hakas. Each tribe, school, etc can make hakas for different things. Like we have lots of different songs in Western culture. There is no ONE haka.

The All Blacks traditionally do the 'Ka mate' haka, and in recent years alternate with the 'Kapa o pango' haka (the one they did for the Springboks in the last 2 tests).

Our school has its own haka (just like each school has its own school song). A haka is a challenge. I dont know the translation of the words, sorry but I do know the words!

here are the haka words (and actions on the right) just in case you want to practice.... ;D

http://www.westlake.school.nz/school/westlake-song-and-haka

And a little more context of hakas.....they are done for sporting matches, but also to someone as a sign of respect. Like if a teacher is leaving after a long time at the school they would do a haka for them. Or our 1st team comes back from a major national tournament as NZ Champions - they would get a big haka from the school.
Other examples would be at a funeral. One of our boys died in a car crash in January and at a certain point in the funeral his best mate jumped up and started the haka and hundreds of other boys joined in, many coming right up to his coffin. It is a sign of respect to honour their friend. And these are white boys mostly.....but the haka, though Maori, has been embraced by many Kiwis.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 11:19:59 pm »
  :2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:
Jip, clean forgot about that one...  :2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:
Enjoy, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 12:08:33 am »
Thanks for the info jafa77! It is indeed very emotional, to see the passion in these kids!! I just love it! The atmosphere must be amazing during one of these haka competitions......yip - I think I will give it a go!!

Kiwiwannabe

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 01:36:44 am »
@ dievissers - "Mensig maar ons krap nou ver....... goeie ou dae WAT EK NIE TERUG SOEK NIE DANKIE...... :party:"

Ja nee, DANKIE, maar NEE DANKIE, ok'ie ekkie.... ::)
Cheers, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 02:37:32 am »
Hi all! Sorry to go slightly off topic - need you to share your experiences please....during the WCS I felt no patriotism towards OZ in any way - and verbally supported Bafana Bafana...till the end. HOWEVER....I know in my heart of hearts I will be a All Black supporter once in NZ - I have had one or two not so nice comments from family/friends about this....anyone else 'rocked the boat' with siding with the opposition once immigrating, rugby in particular is big in SA and NZ so this is really tough...... :-\

Kiwiwannabe

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 02:37:32 am »

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 03:27:14 am »
Kiwiwannabe before we even left SA I said I would support the AB's.  We've been here more than two years now and I still shout for the AB's while my entire family, extended family and some friends suppost the Boks!!  Sometimes its difficult not to shout for the Boks as its pure habit but over the past few weeks I've now seriously cemented my decision - AB's it is and I don't what anyone thinks anymore :-)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 05:00:26 am »
Hi Schalk - That post of yours was wonderful! A brilliant read for all.  You hit the nail on the head all right! Yip, that was the word I was looking for...traitor......and now that I have read your 'from the heart' post should I get any flak from family members because I am supporting the opposition it is... :P to you....!

We honestly cannot wait to attend our first rugby match in NZ, and get kitted out in the gear.... :yippee: Even plan to have the NZ flag in our garden......regardless if some of our family in SA think we are... :idiot2:

Kiwiwannabe

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 06:55:07 am »
@Kiwiwannabe - I'm with you on this one  :clap:
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 08:50:04 pm »
Kiwiwannabe - I see it this way...  ::)
Why did we leave South Africa??
Not all of us, but some of us.... To give our kids a better future. Am I right??
So if SA DOESN'T give my kids a future, why should I support them ???
If NZ DOES give my kids a future, why NOT support them ???
Yeah, we all know SA ain't perfect. We also know NZ ain't perfect.
But, where is our and our kids' future?? Back in SA ???
NO, I don't think so...  ::) .
It's in NZ. So what is the logical next step ???
Support the Country that SUPPORTS us. That's giving US a second chance.
If you understand what I mean...  ;)
Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 05:23:38 am »
I got flack both at the time of the SWC and two weeks ago because I support the opposition.  The flack I got over supporting the All Whites came from a cousin of mine in the UK.  She reckons that Aus and NZ are rivals to any "TRUE SOUTH AFRICAN", then I'm not a true South African... if I were I wouldn't be living in NZ... she never supported Bafana when she lived in SA so go figure.  All this done on her Facebook page.
Two weeks ago I commented on my FB page about the AB's win over the Bokke.  Boy did I get a mouthful from someone that I least expected it from, then my cousin's husband agreed with the person who gave the mouthful.  The comment went: 'How long did you live in SA? How long have you lived in NZ? Have you forgotten this country already?"
All because I now support the AB's.  Now I'm the biggest traitor ever.

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 05:23:38 am »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 06:06:18 am »
You are SO right SaKiwiBoer! That is exactly why we left - for our kids! Yes - SA is my birth Country - I still miss the beauty of it and our family, but no need to dis us now because we left and we are having a better life....makes me... :tickedoff: @ hclidaras......watch those same friends/family members who call us traitors will be the first knocking on our door - should they ever find themselves in 'our neck of the woods' My cousin after one too many Klippies and cokes called us traitors.....I ever find him on my doorstep once we are in NZ asking for a place to stay.....I will be waiting... :knuppel2:......... :2funny:

I used to... :'( as some of my family do not even email/contact us anymore......so who cares.....we can at least  :sleep: more peacefully at night - without the fear of being.. :twoguns: in our homes!!

Kiwiwannabe

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 06:11:52 am »
Funny thing the family member in question live in England, married to a pom. So I think she  :sleep: pretty well, at least until end of August when baby no 2 arrives.
My sister was so angry, jealous, that we left that she called us names in an email she sent out last year when we visited.  The email went mostly to my in-laws and a close friend inviting them to a party for all the children.  She hadn't spoken to me for some time, now she seems to have cooled down enough to IM me on SKYPE.

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 06:41:10 am »
OMGosh - and that was your sister??!! :( very sad indeed - Me thinks a lot of folk back home and where ever are yes, jealous that they did not have the balls to improve their lives for themselves - immigration is NOT for sissy's!!

Our Xmas card list will have the Kiwiwannabe family in their All Black gear standing under the NZ flag......photo's will get sent to all those who were nasty to us!... :nana: :nana: :nana: Dis lekker hier mense!!!
 :2funny: Have always wanted to send a photo/postcard with the inscription 'Wish you were here!'

Kiwiwannabe