Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Crime in NZ??  (Read 9186 times)

Offline Chan in Wellington

Crime in NZ??
« on: July 25, 2010, 06:57:08 am »
Hi everyone,

I don't want to be negative about NZ at all, just wanting to know as much as possible before we get there.  We were watching 'NZ Illegal' on Friday night and were shocked to see the amount of problems over there - including farm murders?  Probably not as bad as SA, but everyone in SA is under the impression that there is zero crime in NZ.  How bad is it really?
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
Re: Crime in NZ??
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 07:24:20 am »
Most crime in NZ is petty and opportunistic. Many people leave houses unlocked or handbags left inside cars on full display.

NZ's murder rate is 66 on average. Most of those are domestic or gang related. A lot of prostitutes also seem to get murdered. I would estimate random murders of strangers being under 10 per year.

Crime is largely non-violent.

I was in the shower this morning and it occured to me that the doors were all open and I was alone at home.....it did not bother me one bit....I just realised how lucky I am. In SA I would have been terrified that I would have been murdered.

USA, Canada, Australia.....all have have moderate levels of crime but it is not like SA in any way. You dont feel on edge and scared all the time (in fact NEVER EVER).

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 07:24:20 am »

Offline Anna007

• Browns Bay, NZ
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 07:43:04 am »
Op 'n skaal van 1 tot 10 is NZ 1 en SA 11  ;D
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for"

Offline till23

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 08:02:27 am »
Despite propaganda to the contrary CRIME RATES are actually very high. Definitely not nearly on the scale of SA. However, you have to compare apples with apples if you want to get a clearer picture. NZ is considered to be a 1st world country. Therefor a comparison with other 1st world countries is more appropriate to get a clearer picture of the "problem" and trends.

New Zealand is second only to Ireland in 26 OECD countries in internationally comparable data on vehicle, theft and contact crimes. 22% of New Zealanders experienced such a crime in a 12-month period, compared to an OECD average of 16%. You’re more likely to experience this type of crime in New Zealand than in almost any other country in the OECD.

In 2009 there was a sharp rise in HOME INVASIONS. There were 112 compared to 85 in 2008.

An independent think tank, The New Zealand Institute released a study which showed that New Zealand has the fifth highest MURDER RATE (assault mortality) in the OECD.

A UNICEF Report Ranks NZ as among the worst in OECD for CHILD ABUSE. A 2003 UNICEF report showed that New Zealand has one of the highest rates of child death from maltreatment (physical abuse and neglect) among rich OECD countries.

NZ ranked 25th on a league table of 27 countries with 1.2 deaths per 100,000 children.

New Zealand, along with Norway, is unusual in that SUICIDE RATES for young adults are greater than for older people. Most OECD countries have higher suicide rates for older people.

* The NZ Institute placed NZ 5th out of 30 OECD countries for its high murder rate

* In 2009 crime rose 3.5 percent, there were 9% more violent offences over 65,000. There were 65 murders, up 25% over last year, the highest figure for 10 years 10 years. Serious assaults up 6% and minor assaults increased nearly 12%.

* 80% of people questioned think that crime is a serious problem in NZ

* There was a total of 1,160 aggravated robberies in 2008, hardly a day goes by without an armed robbery occurring somewhere in New Zealand.

* South Christchurch averages 150 burglaries a month

* Whangarei averages about 27 burglaries a week (108 a month)

* Nelson Bays averaged about 71 burglaries a month in 2009, or 847 in the year. This is an increase of 230 over 2008’s figures.

* Tasman District averages  127 burglaries a month, or 1519 in 2009. That’s a rise of 248 since 2008.

* The estimated social cost of sexual violence in NZ $1.2 billion per year. It is NZ’s most costly crime.

* Alcohol offences skyrocketed in Palmerston North during 2009, up from 87 to 409 on the previous year.

Still much safer than SA. The upward trend and rate of increase is worrying.

Offline Centurionite

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 08:04:00 am »
One thing really postive - when crime happens here, the people are caught within hours or days most of the time.

Most of the murders are domestic related, I think last year they had 80 murders - of which 42 were domestic related.

I have never worried about being raped or murdered in NZ in the last few years,even though crime is on the increase - it is not much violent crime like in SA.

Offline Awa

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 08:10:26 am »
I don't know why on earth the people in SA would think there is 0% crime in NZ  :confused: - a place like that does not exist anymore.  We have been here for about two years and I can honestly say that in that time I have never felt scared or anxious about crime.  It is not something that is really on your mind here.  Things do happen but the culprits are normally caught and the reaction from the kiwis are normally that of shock and disgust.  If the police take more than a couple of days to catch the criminals the public start giving them a hard time about not performing.  If you are looking for crime free - this is not the place.  If you are looking for a place where fear and crime is not going to be part of your life, NZ is a good choice. O0
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 08:16:28 am »
Well, the USA, UK, Australia, Canada and Finland all rank right up there with "high" crime levels. We cant all move to Switzerland!

No one claims NZ is crime free. Levels are similar to other western countries. The world has changed. NZ did have very low crime rates (like most rich countries) for a long time, but there is a growing disparity of wealth. Many young men (especially Maori and Pacific islander) have no hope, no future and so turn to gangs, drugs and crime.

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 08:16:28 am »

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 08:46:04 am »
I was wondering who this newbie is with the 1st post being so negative.

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 08:55:50 am »

OECD stats.... mmmm

Mertz??  Is that you??

Nolan, check maar daai IP addy.  :whistle:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 09:05:06 am »
lol, let's give the person a chance, till23, you can start with an intro in the Howzit section O0

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 09:32:05 am »
  :2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:
Got the same   :2funny:  feeling reading that first post.
Cheese and enjoy, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 09:50:56 am »
Cape Town has 4 million, NZ has 4 million.  So I usually use this as a basis when I think of crime.  It was much worse in Cape Town, and only 10 % of the crimes were reported in the papers.  Almost everything is reported in the papers here in NZ. 

Yes, there was a recent farm murder.  Very tragic.  But also, very unusual. 

This is not Utopia, this is the real world in the 21st century.   Yet, for me, this is very nearly Utopia.  We recently had two guys arrested, with armed rifles, guns, etc , after they had laid spikes on the road, as they had been on a 72 hour crime spree from Christchurch to Nelson.  I was giggling when I read the article, and looked at the photos of the cops and the crims.  They had stolen cars, stolen goods, and that was about it.  They had an air rifle in the back of the car.  There were no murders, no rapes involved. 

I feel very safe here.  I read the New Zealand Herald for 3 years, on a daily basis, when I as back in SA, and it put me off coming to New Zealand.  So we went to Asia instead.  Now that we are here, I realise that everything is reported and you don't actually see the crime.  Most of the murders are by someone they know. 

The only thing that really bothers me is the high rate of child abuse.  But that bothers me in any country. 

Remember, this country does have warts !!!!

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 09:50:56 am »

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 04:24:54 pm »
Thanks everyone, really appreciate your input on this....every bit of info is going into the 'bank' :)
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline expat

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 06:07:53 pm »
For me I sorted on some naieve level expected NZ to be crime free. I felt I had go give up so much in SA which was superior (and not just money fi history/friends etc ) this other place as a quid pro quo must not have crime. Although the rate is much lower and the police and justice system is superior it occurs on a large enough scale to make certain actions inherently unsafe.
It also depends on where you are -The Cape town stat has a flaw in that most of our crime believe it or not happens in the township/flats area. Although I have never been scared in SA I would lock my car and house and be alert wherever I find myself in the world.

Offline maanhaarleeu

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 10:42:27 pm »
Hi Chan,

The best place to follow what is happening is usually in NZ's largest news paper www.nzherald.co.nz, well that is what I use, but keep in mind that papers like to get that shocking factor to sell their papers so not sure if that is a balanced view altogether.

till23 thank you for that in depth analysis, you certainly went to alot of trouble to paint NZ black  :tongue: but then again that is what Chan asked for isn't it.

That may be the cold hard facts which I'm not going to despute because like other members stated NZ is not crime free, but NZ certainly feels a whole lot safer to me than SA.
Auckland NZ, Howick