Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Crime in NZ??  (Read 9191 times)

Offline magusta

Re: Crime in NZ??
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 01:06:57 am »
a balanced view - refreshing.

crime is escalating, but it's nowhere near the atrocious levels in sa. cops are good and could be better still. we have not felt unsafe here at all in comparison with life in sa.

i had my brand new flash car stolen on the very 1st day i bought it. i was in the north shore at that stage, in a good suburb too. police found it a few hours later...trashed. fortunately insurance covered it.

we've left the front door and sliding doors unlocked a few times...for weeks without notice. our two year old boy loves opening the window latches/sliding door locks. currently the house alarm is on the fritz, but i couldn't be bothered. burglar bars..what's that again, with paper for walls it won't be much use anyway.

can't recall when last we locked the doors whilst driving...sa probably. car alarms keyfob battery is dead, never use it. i do pahk the cah in garahge. we do avoid 'bad' or perceived bad areas, but who doesn't?

a learned respected individual committed suicide at work by jumping of a 18 level carpark building, i saw the whole thing, messy. as an ex-saffa, i just shrugged it off, have seen/experienced worse. sad thing to be so desensitized i guess...

my colleagues had counselling, was off work, trouble coping etc.

Offline LoveNZ

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 02:13:54 am »
now, these are posts that benefits everybody, whether in SA or NZ. Agree with all of you, there is crime n NZ, but when I go to bed at night, I know I am safe and so are my family. Keep it coming!!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 02:13:54 am »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 04:51:43 am »
Our electricity went out last night at 10:30 pm , and we needed to keep a new born chick at 33 degrees.  After getting hot water bottles, and waiting an hour, my hubbie decided to go for a drive and see if there were road works being done . 

For starters, in SA I would not have allowed him to go off into the middle of the night.  We were all in bed, and I just rolled over and said "ok".  Secondly, he left us all sleeping, with the doors unlocked. 

Imagine doing that in SA ?  No, you would never , ever do that. 

It is the simple things.  Like when I was cooking last night and needed some fresh mint.  I took a torch, went outside by myself, for a walk, and got some mint.  Not once did I hope that there were no people hiding in the bushes waiting to attack.  I did not think to listen, to put on an outside light, to call the dog (don't have one here  :)), look over my shoulder with my heart thumping.  I just went out and hubby didn't even question it either.

My daughter (9 1/2) takes her headlamp when it is pitch dark, and walks 300 metres, through two gates, to the chicken coop at the bottom of the paddock to tuck the hens in at night.  She spends about 15 minutes there and we don't worry. 

Yes, big crime happens, but crime does not happen to you at home like it does in SA.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 09:05:51 am »
ok, everybody who's lived here for any amount of time, has given you the "truth of the matter", so I'll just say, yeah, it's like that. 

BUT I do want to give you a quick explanation for two items mentioned in that "statistics" breakdown of crime in NZ. 

1) Child abuse.  Please take note that this is mostly among the Moari people who have been known in the past "pre-civilized" era to participate in child sacrifice. (not that that is what is happening now, but that they seem to be pre-disposed to doing it).  Most of these issues are also with parents who are on drugs.   But mostly this is a cultural issue: I found an article (ableit 4 yrs old), which explains the issue very well:  The Maori Child Abuse Crisis

2) Suicide rate.  I remember years ago, long before we came here, but shortly after my sister did, she mentioned this issue.  Having now lived here for 3 years, I am so not surprised by the high teenage suicide rate here.  What with the government doing away with parental rights to discipline their children... but even before that... teenagers are not brought up to have a sense of self-worth, a vision for the future...  Again, (I may be wrong on this account), I believe that this may also be more among the Moari than the Pakeha's (Europeans).   

Why? You ask.  Well, let see... How many of the Moari's have managed to live on the dole for GENERATIONS!?  If you are not working for a living, and the government is paying for you, and paying for your house and everything, then what are you living for?  You have no vision, no ambition to aspire to be the best (what with the whole stupid Tall Poppy Syndrome idea), and so the money you get from the government, gets spent on... what?  Drugs.  Because hey, at least the drugs give you some excitement  for a little while.  So does the adrenalin of tagging a building at night. 
Kids are getting pregnant in their early teens because it's now the in thing (worldwide) not to teach children that sex was designed for marriage, and when they do (fall pregnant), the government will pay them special money for their poor situation, and will even give them a flat to live in.  The above-mentioned link mentions this too.  The other day, a friend of ours was telling us of a young teenager who decided she didn't like her parent's rules, and so ran away.  The government supports this, by offering the teenager a flat of her own.  All paid for.  Hello.... if you don't have anything to live for, why live?  If you are not raised to take responsibility for your own actions, you will have unrealistic expectations of life.

Just today, my hubby Jan, was telling me there is a research done on Americans vs. Russians.  Why Americans seem to always be smiling, and Russians not.  Yet the Americans are not truly happy, and the Russians are content with their lives.  They determined that it was because Americans, and all the other silly countries that "look up to them to lead", are sold the "happily ever after" ends to all their stories - in books and in movies.  The Russian school children do not read books with happy endings.  They know the reality of life, and have no unrealistic expectations of it, and therefore cope better when life gets tough.

And so I read through Magusta's posting here, and nodded my head.  South Africans have become tough (desensitized yes?), because we've had to deal with a harder life.  Americans and NZ'ers are not used to "getting hurt" and so are appalled that life should ever hand them a lemon.

My 2c for the day.  ;)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 09:18:50 am »
@Colleen - perfect, then we should fit right into NZ, having lived our lives in SA.  Feeling a lot better now.  I know there is crime in NZ, but at least I now know that it's very insignificant, compared to what we deal with on a daily basis. 
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 09:47:46 am »
Brilliant post Colleen !!! :clap: 

I think it is important to gather facts and find out who, what , where and why, before we start worrying.  One of my worries has always been the high death toll on the roads.  This was until i read an article in the latest AA magazine (automobile association, not the other AA  :2funny: )

It put it all in perspective.  So, if you do have the latest copy,  July, look it up.  If I am up to it, I may type it up verbatim. 

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 10:01:51 am »
I know I have told this story before, still remarkable to us.  Went shopping at a mall, both of us forgot to close the one back door of my little Mazda Demio  :heeha:  When we came out we saw the door open, thought the car had been broken into, discussed it for a while, then realised what we had done.  People walked passed the car and didn't touch it. They obviously thought that the car had been broken into.
I know that cars are being stolen from the malls, especially the one we were at.  We are very grateful that ours wasn't taken.

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 10:01:51 am »

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 07:40:59 pm »
@ zatexnz... EXCELLENT POST !!!
All very true.
It reminds me of the old story of the "healthy" guy going to work everyday and everybody keeps telling him his pale and looks sick. Eventually one day the guy died because he "believed" he was seriously ill.
Now getting back to your explanation... If you keep on telling people that you'll look after them and they don't have to do anything then eventually they WILL expect it and wouldn't WANT to do something because there is no reason to do anything because I'll receive whatever I need from somebody else...
NOW DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT????
Ek is nie 'n sielkundige nie, maar dit maak nie vir my baie sin nie... ::)
Iets is fout met die' prentjie...  ::) .
There is a few things I would've changed in the NZ society, but I'm not in a position to do so...  ???
Cheers, SAKB

21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 11:21:53 pm »
I am also reminded of 2001, when the twin towers in NY were bombed.  I was living in the States myself then, but in Texas, which is thousands of miles away.  I was shocked to see the footage of the planes going into the towers... and then later, of the towers crumbling... 
but what shocked me more, was my one US friend's reaction to it.  She was horrified that something like that should happen on American soil!  Her "freedom" was at risk! These things are fine to happen on other soil... 
I asked her if she'd ever thought of how mothers in Vietnam, Korea, and Afghanistan felt about war being fought on THEIR soil, at the hands of the Americans.  I was so indignant at her attitude that I was almost glad it HAD finally happened to the Americans.  Let them get a feel for what they've been handing out to everybody else.  Let them get a reality check, and know that NO LIFE DOES NOT ALWAYS HAVE A HAPPILY EVER AFTER ending.

Please get me straight, I don't condone those suicide flights, El Queda and all the other stuff.  But I also wish America would stop thinking they're God's answer to the world's problems.
oopss... sorry.. I'm off topic here...

Anyway, as others have said, things that get looked over in the SA news because there's too much of it happening, and it's "old news", gets blown out of proportion here in NZ, because it's "new news" and nothing else is happening.

ok I'll  :-X now!   :whistle:

oh... no wait....
I wanted to tell you, I've driven to the store, thinking our garage door was closed, when it was wide open.  There are no high walls around our property, or a gate at the street side of our driveway.  When I came back, it was open, and nobody had come in to steal our computers, or anything else.
This weekend, we left the garage door open most of the time, while Jan's car was outside in the driveway having it's battery recharged, and he was doing woodwork on the driveway too.  He didn't close the garage door, or pack his tools away, when we went upstairs for lunch. 
BUT that said, we try not to "tempt fate", as of course crime DOES exist.  So yes, we do lock our  house when we leave (and mostly don't forget the garage door!), and we do lock our cars when we get out at a store or park in the streets.  And we don't leave parcels on the seats in plain site, because those kids that are on the dole, would be tempted to break the window to steal the parcel in the hope of selling it to feed their drug addiction.
 :)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Shirls

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 12:12:53 am »
 :clap: great post(s) Colleen. I think you would have to have rose tinted glasses to believe that NZ (or any other country in the world for that matter) was crime free.

We park our cars in the garage but don't lock them, I don't always remember to shut the garage when I go out. I go for walks down by the river and don't have to keep looking over my shoulder, I can go shopping with out having to think who is watching me, who could try and steal my car - with my baby in it!

We have an empty house 2 doors down from us - has been empty all year so far... all its windows and doors are still intact! What are the odd of that happening in SA?

Offline Centurionite

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 12:22:17 am »
About two years after being here, the garage door remote was pressed by accident (which we did not notice).

We went out that morning at 8am and returned at about 10pm that evening, the connecting door to the house from the garage was open.

I almost had a heart attack coming up the road, when my husband asked me if I had pressed the remote (which I did not even have on me).

Not one thing taken, and the garage was still full of amount 30 boxes, bikes, washing machine, tumble drier etc. - could not believe this (in SA we would have been cleaned out).

My daughter always opens the windows and doors, and we forget to check before going to bed (have left the key in the front door at least four times already) - just from being distracted.

Imagine having done this in SA - I checked the doors at least a dozen times before going to bed at night, and then awoke for every sound.

I would say NZ is still pretty safe in this regard.

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 10:54:01 pm »
Crime is everywhere.
I think the percentage changes from country to country , but if you  say 1% of people in a country is criminals.  In Sa that is 480 000 - 600 000 people.
Criminals will target people they perceive to have things they (the criminals) want.  So they target the perceived richer folks.
In NZ,  1% is would be 48 000-50 000 and who is the rich folks here?  but there is probably less than per capita than SA.

if a house has all the windows broken or stuff smashed, that is not criminals, that hooligans.  usually kids being naughty ,  because as far as i remember,  robbers dont throw out all the windows after a robbery... its kind of counter productive for them to make people take notice of their presense.

2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 10:54:01 pm »

Offline thombatt

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 11:22:36 pm »
The fact that NZ has the dole is one of the reasons why crime is so low.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 11:28:08 pm »

I think it's also the reason for a lot of other problems in NZ... But that is a totally different discussion altogether.
SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 01:16:27 am »

I tend to disagree.  I would think that this makes people drink more and take to drugs.  They have the money to sit on their arses all day and do nothing.  This is bad for the soul.  I could be wrong.