Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Reasons people leave NZ - not back to SA  (Read 4835 times)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Re: Reasons people leave NZ - not back to SA
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 09:38:07 pm »
From what I can gather from this thread, it is the real movers and shakers that get unhappy in NZ.  I guess for them it is like living in a fish bowl.  For people like us, who detest city life but like to have access to the city for cultural reasons and if we need to buy a certain item that we can't get on the internet or in our small dorp, then New Zealand is wonderful.  It is one big farm, interspersed with lekker little towns, and an accessible city.

Offline Awa

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 09:39:42 pm »
I think you hit the nail on the head there.  And I discovered something new about myself - I am a goldfish and I love it!  :2funny: :yippee:
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 09:39:42 pm »

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 09:54:45 pm »
 :2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:
I think I might be a Phlecostimus (sp)...  :2funny:
Cheers, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 10:38:09 pm »
We are very happy in NZ, both of us grew up in small towns in South Africa, Middelburg, Mpumalanga & Nigel. We lived in Boksburg near JHB before emigrating.  Then we found ourselves living in Outram, South of Dunedin on the otherside of Mosgiel. If you want really small then try that for size, just a Dairy & a Library that's it.  Then it was Mosgiel for us, really lovely little town, we loved it there and would move back if there was opportunity there for DH.  Didn't want to leave but were forced to when Fisher & Pykel closed their doors. We are really happy with living in little Kaiapoi, just North of Chch.  Yet DH is not happy at work for lots of reasons. Added to that the fact that he feels he is letting us down by not being able to improve his situation due to lack of Manufacturing companies where there would be a possibility of promotion.  Where he is at the moment he is seen as a threat to most of his colleagues, and every 2nd person is worried about their jobs because over the last 2 years there have been endless redundancies at the company. 
Another big move would be a last resort for him.

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 07:39:43 am »
From what I can gather from this thread, it is the real movers and shakers that get unhappy in NZ.  I guess for them it is like living in a fish bowl.  For people like us, who detest city life but like to have access to the city for cultural reasons and if we need to buy a certain item that we can't get on the internet or in our small dorp, then New Zealand is wonderful.  It is one big farm, interspersed with lekker little towns, and an accessible city.
Couldn't agree with you more Savayla!!   O0 The only moving and shaking I will be doing is getting the Marina Braaisalt over my tjoppies on the braai!  :2funny:
:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Hi Everyone. My name is Susan and I'm a goldf...OOO!! Pretty colou...WHAT WAS THA...
Hi Everyone. My name is....err....what am I??
 :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
(I slay me)

07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 10:11:26 am »
Brilliant Susan  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:  My hubby got it before my kids !!!  Man, that feels good.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 09:39:28 pm »
Marina Braaisalt
ek het al vergeet van dit  :-\ sal by die SA winkel 'n draai moet gaan maak  :think:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 09:39:28 pm »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 02:59:14 am »
I think you hit the nail on the head there.  And I discovered something new about myself - I am a goldfish and I love it!  :2funny: :yippee:

So am I Jackie! I am longing for a smaller more intimate Country......We...and I have to say this is personal...find the crime in OZ getting more and more out of control! Glass attacks in pubs - almost 70 this year in Perth! Kids have WAY to much freedom in this Country - you will only start to see it after a couple of months, maybe a year! Coming from SA any Country is safer, so you think - and although OZ is not nearly as bad as SA - it is a lot worse than what we expected! Too big, vast, too many people, in Perth boat people coming in by the droves....which will cause I think the Country's somewhat downfall if it is not nipped in the bud! So I am happy for the Kiwiwannabe family to eat baked beans on toast for ever... :P but need a more laid back enviroment.  We are not movers and shakers.....but I can see the writing on the wall - and I too know of 4 families who have left OZ......so at the end of the day - it is all a very personal thing.. :)

But to all moving to wherever you choose - hope it pans out and you are extremely happy.... O0 we are on our way to NZ.....AND WE PLAN TO STAY! :yippee:

Kiwiwannabe

(Geez - losing the plot - needed to edit 2x.. :2funny:)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:14:54 am by Kiwiwannabe »
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 05:58:48 am »
ACCORDING TO THE LATEST WIKI ANSWERS.COM........

THE 10 MOST SAFEST COUNTRIES TO LIVE IN..........

10. Canada
 9.  Norway
 8.  Japan
 7.  Finland
 6.  Switzerland
 5.  Slovenia
 4.  Austria
 3.  Iceland.....brr..too cold
 2.  Denmark

AND DRUM ROLL PLEASE........ :cheering:

NO 1..........NEW ZEALAND...... :yippee: :yippee:

Stay, stay, stay........ :clap: We are not even there yet..... :2funny: but I have after years of investigating and hubby's 3 trips back - have fallen head over heals in love with the Country you are all in at the moment! I do understand for some - work is an issue - we too are in that dilemma! I think this is why so many families with children choose NZ for their future base - just look at the stats! Here's hoping it works out for all Saffers in NZ....it must be a wonderful feeling to know that your Country has been voted no 1... :smitten: I wonder what no. South Africa would be......... :whistle:

Kiwiwannabe

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 06:19:53 am »
I wonder what no. South Africa would be......... :whistle:
Kiwiwannabe

Don't even go there...  ::) , you can't compare the 2 countries.
NZ is all good, but it's not crime free.... just remember that....  ::)
Cheers, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 07:42:47 am »
I wonder what no. South Africa would be......... :whistle:
Kiwiwannabe

Don't even go there...  ::) , you can't compare the 2 countries.
NZ is all good, but it's not crime free.... just remember that....  ::)
Cheers, SAKB

Too true......I am sure there is crime in NZ... ??? BUT I do like what I see on the net regarding stats.... O0
Some long hard research must have gone into that...... :)

Kiwiwannabe