Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Finding friends faster to ease your transition  (Read 889 times)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Finding friends faster to ease your transition
« on: August 21, 2010, 08:41:28 pm »
Something I have been thinking of posting for a while with regards to making it easier to settle down.  I know that when you get to a new country, you are often all alone and have no friends or relatives.  Some people are lucky and do.  Some people don't mind but others feel very isolated and it probably skews their opinions of their new country. 

If you have children, and one of the partners does not go out to work, consider homeschooling your kids for the first 6 months.  You don't have to do a huge homeschooling session, just touch lightly on what they should be doing.  This gives you and your kids time to adjust and by joining the local homeschooling group, you get to meet other parents straight away, and your kids get to make friends straight away. I have found this a great help. Not only that, but it has pulled us directions we  would not have taken . We have visited the art gallery a few times, gone to biscuit factories, do a twice monthly kapa haka , and generally explored the area more. 

The other part is to join a group of some kind.  If you go to church, or other religious meet, then this is a great help as you will also meet like minded people and there will generally be kids.  There are also dancing groups, tramping, sewing and knitting, etc etc.  So much to do to get involved in the community and get to meet people.  The library generally has the information on all that is available in your community.

On Friday night we went to a church hall to watch some people do SCottish dancing (a school project we are doing ) and ended up being so welcomed and partaking in the dancing.  It was incredible for me that people aged 15-70 were so patient with  my girls aged 8 and 9 , with the complicated twists and turns and steps.  And we were welcomed back.  My daughter actually wants to go back every Friday night but I have told her we should try other things first.

Now, I am  not that familiar with how it goes with schools, but from what I have heard from a few people, you don't get to really meet the other parents as all you are doing is dropping your kids off or sending them onto the bus. 

So these were my thoughts.  Please remember, this in no way a post trying to convert people to homeschooling !  It is an idea for when people first arrive and feel lost.  Taking 6 months off to readjust is wonderful salve for the hurting soul. 

Offline Chan in Wellington

Re: Finding friends faster to ease your transition
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 06:51:04 am »
I go to gym 6 days a week in SA, I have met a lot of people through gym and it's really my 'time out' each day.  I have been told that gym fees are unaffordable in NZ.  Have any of you already living in NZ been able to find an affordable gym?
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 06:51:04 am »

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 06:59:52 am »
most of my friends go to gym. I dont! ;D

And they are teachers....not the highest paid people around - and they seem to afford it.

this is a gym where many people I know go. http://www.lesmills.co.nz

I do think there are cheaper gyms too.

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 07:33:38 am »
I go to Contours Gym (women only) and I pay $19.95 per week for full use of all their equipment and classes.
I don't think that's unaffordable at all.

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 02:22:35 pm »
Thanks, great to know I'll still be able to go to gym in NZ!!
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.