Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Bring a plate/bring and braai??  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Bring a plate/bring and braai??
« on: August 29, 2010, 05:39:30 am »
Hi all! I do recall reading on this forum - if you are invited to someone's house, what - 'bring a plate' means.....

As Saffers, we know it is normal to bring and braai at friends (unless a special catered for event) - as the host will provide salads/chips/rolls etc....and the people you invited bring their own meat/drinks....would this offend the average Kiwi? Or is bring a plate meant just for snacks?? A little confusing... :confused:

Kiwiwannabe
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
Re: Bring a plate/bring and braai??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 06:17:34 am »
I would ask as a general rule, unless specified.  On Friday we had a shared lunch at one of my friends homes and everyone knew, when we heard 'bring a plate', to bring something towards lunch.  When going to one of my school friends, who is married to a Kiwi, I always ask what we should bring as they still do the old thing of catering (meat, veg or salad).  Usually I get asked to bring our own drinks and a dessert.
So for me it's safer to ask.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 06:17:34 am »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 06:23:57 am »
I would ask as a general rule, unless specified.  On Friday we had a shared lunch at one of my friends homes and everyone knew, when we heard 'bring a plate', to bring something towards lunch.  When going to one of my school friends, who is married to a Kiwi, I always ask what we should bring as they still do the old thing of catering (meat, veg or salad).  Usually I get asked to bring our own drinks and a dessert.
So for me it's safer to ask.

Hi Feather - yes, better than assuming.... :o We are sure to make some Kiwi friends - so good to get your head around what is accepted and expected, do not want to look and feel.... :blush:

Kiwiwannabe
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~