Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: LOL.....who remembers this..........  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
LOL.....who remembers this..........
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:10:45 am »
Oh my word, chatting to another SA friend of mine recently, we discovered that we, as kids back in the 70's... :blush: loved the same radio shows called 'Tracy Dark' and 'Squad Cars'......did we have a good old :2funny: Does anyone else remember.....'they prowl the empty streets at night......' wow, was that not amazing, so much drama.. :fight: lol!

We could not remember what station it was on, but it was on a weekend - and it was a major event...... ;) but in those days..... :whistle:
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
Re: LOL.....who remembers this..........
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:19:37 am »
Oh yes I remember - was it Springbok Radio?

Jet Jungle... anyone remember that one?

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:19:37 am »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:31:51 am »
 Yes, that's right, Springbok Radio...LOL!

I love Jet Jungle.... O0 Explain this to my kids, who thought the whole idea was soooooo lame.... ;D sitting around the radio....they just have no idea do they....

Offline Adele2310

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 07:37:09 pm »
Jet...jet jungle!!  Woohoo...squad cars...money or the box!!

Lots of good memories around the radio.  Hard to believe we found it all so exciting! :)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:03:40 pm »
and Siembamba  ;D

Offline Mongrel Mobster

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 09:04:03 pm »
Yeah those where the days!

Just to let you know both Springbok Radio and LM Radio are back on the "air".

You can listen to Springbok Radio here - http://www.springbokradio.com/SPRINGBOKDIGITAL.html

And LM Radio was revived by a very good friend of mine in SA and is now transmitting and streaming via the internet here - http://www.lmradio.net/

Oh and I have been thinking on the lines of getting a South African Radio station going in NZ. If anyone has a lot of money to invest and would be interested in such a venture please contact me. Yes radio is my passion!
Kind regards,

Edwin

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 09:16:29 pm »
This is not radio, but  who remembers .... " nommer asseblief ? "  Jeez, I still remember what she looked like. 

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 09:16:29 pm »

Offline thombatt

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 12:32:30 am »
I remember Sprinkbok Radio very well. It was the only real station that us kids had until Radio 5 arrived and then much latter 702

Sprinkbok radio had Jet Jungle (Jet Jungle was sponsored by Tiger Oats), Squad Cars, or Squadies as we used to call it. The only DJ was David Gresham. Other Sprinkbok programs were "The Men from the Ministry", "My Family"

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 12:44:26 am »
I remember Sprinkbok Radio very well. It was the only real station that us kids had until Radio 5 arrived and then much latter 702

Sprinkbok radio had Jet Jungle (Jet Jungle was sponsored by Tiger Oats), Squad Cars, or Squadies as we used to call it. The only DJ was David Gresham. Other Sprinkbok programs were "The Men from the Ministry", "My Family"

LOL! Yes, thombatt the British 'The Men from the Ministry' was brilliant! As for Radio 5, I think that is the only station us teens tuned into to... ::) Heck, wonder what ever happened to David Gresham.... :confused: There was also a 'phone in' for our boys on the border (on a Sunday) I think - I would phone in my requests for friends and family members..... :smitten: And a Tannie Esma.....someone or other.....that was popular on the airwaves??

Kiwiwannabe

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 12:47:06 am »
This is not radio, but  who remembers .... " nommer asseblief ? "  Jeez, I still remember what she looked like.

:2funny: what a nosey parker she was......knew the whole Dorp's skinner...... ;D

Kiwiwannabe

Offline Mongrel Mobster

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 01:12:43 am »
Schalk to answer you . . .

Firstly the idea has been there for a long time. Jannee and I are both Amateur Radio Operators and radio is our hobby and passion.

Both Springbok Radio and LM Radio are operating "live" in as much as programs are pre recorded and then broadcast. Springbok Radio is broadcasting some of the old programs as well as some new.

As far as LM Radio is concerned it was resurrected by an old friend of mine in SA in conjunction with some of the old time folk from the station. They record most of the programs as the announcers are not living in Maputo. They then relay and transmit via Maputo and stream it on the internet. Very technical but that is it in a nutshell. You can receive LM Radio on Saturday afternoons between 15:00 and 18:00 the signal is simulcast on the local radio "Radio Today 1485 kHz" in Johannesburg.

Schalk I hope this has helped. Sorry if I have somewhat hijacked this post.
Kind regards,

Edwin

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 02:42:09 am »
"Thees is Redeeo free-dom"

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 02:42:09 am »

Offline Mongrel Mobster

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 02:48:39 am »
 :2funny: :2funny:
Kind regards,

Edwin

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 10:07:43 pm »
A had a SA friend around for coffee yesterday, and we got talking about that TV programm called Electric Dreams - going through
inventions of the 70's, 80's and finally last week the 90's.....did we  :2funny:  :2funny: 70's was when we were in primary school
and she admitted that she STILL  has her Sarel Seemonster doll!  :blush: Must admit, I loved Karel and blommetjies!
Who can forget Trompie en die boksombende - this is why it is so important to have fellow SA around once you have immigrated
these are childhood memories only we can appreciate, and as she was feeling down yesterday, she left  ;D

x

Offline Heaven

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 11:09:56 pm »
Hehe - can't say I have too many memories of the 70's - was a bit young then, but the 80's - my oh my!!! Things like "Hot Hits" on TV and Top 40 magazine were just too cool!!!

And what about the all time classics like Airwolf, MacGuyver, Knight Rider & The A Team - seems like there's been quite a revival of these lately too!

Oh my - the hairstyles and fashions - we thought we were so 'spiffy'! How we still have hair after all that 'teasing', who knows?

Let me stop before I get too carried away here!

Haha - we need to have a 70's or 80's party - would be so much fun!!!

02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved