Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: LOL.....who remembers this..........  (Read 5371 times)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Re: LOL.....who remembers this..........
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 11:58:03 pm »
 :clap: 80's  :yippee: Now you talking...lol! I thought McGuyver was soooo hot...yes, remember Hot Hits, Scope (my dad's mag) and my Mom would be  >:( but, it did have some very good articles....yeah, right. Big hair, bright clothes, neon nail polish, jellybean sandals, huge dangling earings....I had my hair cut like Purdy :blush:....on TV.....was about 12 and tried to do her karate moves/kicks, and broke my big toe.... :2funny: :2funny:

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline usnels

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 08:09:55 am »
Who remembers Bennie Boekwurm and Haas Das en die nuus kas ? :clap: :yippee:

My folks were of English and German parents and spoke minimal Afrikaans...I learnt Afrikaans from a worm and a rabbit !

PS Married a man from Afrikaans grandparents, and found out when I was in my mid 20s that the Afrikaans my folks used for idiot and rubbish and smack were actually quite unacceptable swear-words ! :2funny: On top of that, I used to use these words quite freely in my class, and had to untrain my brain !! heh-heh
EOI submitted   30-11-2010
Arrived cowboy style     27-12-2010
Job offer   21-01-2011
EOI selected   26-01-2011
ITA issued    31-03-2011
ITA submitted    19-04-2011

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 08:09:55 am »

Offline Heaven

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 09:59:02 am »
One of the other things I meant to mention in my previous post was just how blissfully unaware we were that we were a third world country and that our non-local TV shows were like a decade behind everyone else!!! Even Zim got TV way before SA!!! Remeber when TV first came to SA how the whole family would gather around the TV with bowls of popcorn eagerly awaiting that "Test Pattern" to tick over to 6pm or whenever it was that broadcasting started!!! We'd even ate popcorn while watching the news!!!

Other things that have popped up into memory...

Wielie Wielie Walie, Sarel Seemonster, Knersis, Senor Onion, "Nuustak, Nuustak met die nuus daarvoor en die storie daaragter", Orkney Snork Nie (that came into the picture a little later - and I actually thought Wimpie was hot!!!  :blush:). Oh, and what about all those Afrikaans dramas soos Glaskasteel, Ballade vir 'n Enkeling en Agter Elke Man (I was prohibited from watching them but did so anyway)!!! Ag, en wat van Dawie die Kabouter en my gunsteling - Liewe Heksie... There was also Trans-karoo or something, I can't remember what it was about, but I remember the tune!!!

One last one - Goeie More Suid-Afrika / Good Morning South Africa (now try and get that tune out of your head  >:D !!!)
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 10:00:21 am »
 :2funny: :clap:

x

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 12:56:56 pm »
OOOOHHHHHHH my golly goodness!!!!   

You mean I'm not the only one that is THAT age?   :2funny:

Ai ai ai... I remember  all these...

And now I have Trompie en die Boksom Bende's kenwysie in my head!!! Trompiiiieeeeeeeee
I remember listening to a radio programme called "Ouma Tilla" or something like that.  We'd come home from school, have our lunch, and then dash to the radio, and tune in... and don't anyone dare so much as sneeze!!!  It was my mom's favourite, not necessarily ours, but hey, there wasn't TV yet, so that was our entertainment.  And it was only on once a week I think - I mean that particular programme, so that the rest of the time, we played outside.   And boy did we PLAY... not like today's kids who sit in front of the TV or PC all the time playing stupid games.

And did you know, Haas Das se Nuuskas was the very first News program on SA TV?  because it came on first before the Adults' News at 8!!!  ;D

Ai, and all the other kiddies programmes... now mind you, I was already about 9 or 10 when TV came in, and I still enjoyed those kiddies programmes for a few years!!  these days, the kids are "too old" for that kind of thing.  They grow up way too fast, and are not children for long enough.

Oh... and btw, McGyver was one of my heart-throbs.... and when I met my hubby, he had a McGyver hairstyle, and he always carries his Swiss Knife along (which we call his McGyver knife - the  kids have no clue why  :2funny: ) - so I married my own personal McGyver!!   :yippee:
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline thombatt

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 07:41:47 pm »
Oh yes   TV in 1975, that's when it got launched and it started with about 4 hours per day.

I remember the test period. There was a program, I think it was called Pot roast vs. Borewors. There were 2 teams of 3, 3 Afrikaans guys and 3 English guys and they each had to tell a joke based on a subject. It was rubbish, but people loved it.

There was also a French program about French pilots, which was dubbed into Afrikaans. The dubbing was terrible, a good second behind. There was even a scene were the pilots spoke about France and it was dubbed as South Africa! That turned a drama into comedy.

Shane and The Brady Bunch were big winners on Friday night.

There was also a lot of speculation as to what the first TV ad was going to be. SABC was ad free when it began. I remember it was for frozen hamburgers.

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 08:40:38 pm »
Wow thombatt, you have a good memory... O0 I too remember those programs......also loved The Waltons....at the end of
the program, all the family would shout out goodnight to each other.....John boy and his siblings ;D That was a wonderful
time in SA, growing up with those memories, pity our children will never have them. :-\

x

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 08:40:38 pm »

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 05:11:04 am »
 :2funny: :2funny:  I remember everything mentioned and I also learnt Afrikaans from a worm and a rabbit  :2funny:  I loved the late '70s and the '80s were the best.  I used to save my pocket money to buy the Springbok LPs - I must have been about 8  :2funny:  And don't forget Pippie Langkous and Knerses and Oscar  :)  Gosh I feel every one of my 40 years after reading these posts  :o  I loved westerns too like Gunsmoke, High Chaperal, Bonanza and of course Lee Majors was to die for - or so I thought at the time  :blush:

Offline Heaven

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 07:08:24 pm »
Aww, Bennie Boekwurm, he was soooo cute - sadly our kids are missing out on all those things...
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved