Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Poll

What is the cost of your weekly groceries? (excluding meat such as fish, chicken, red meat etc.) Including cleaning stuff

$50-$100
2 (9.5%)
$100-$200
13 (61.9%)
$200-$300
6 (28.6%)
$300-$400
0 (0%)
$400+
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: September 24, 2010, 05:43:20 am

Author Topic: Groceries and day-to-day stuff (including cleaning aids)  (Read 2665 times)

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
Groceries and day-to-day stuff (including cleaning aids)
« on: September 14, 2010, 05:43:20 am »
Hi, please help  :confused:

Since we only arrived recently, I had to buy EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING in terms of groceries because as you know you are not allowed to bring any with you   ;D Well, the problem is that I can't seem to figure out more or less what is required for a weekly budget for food, fruit and veggies,  toiletries, cleaning stuff etc. (this should exclude meat please). I know that this all depends on your own personal choice but I need help because if some of you can make it with $30 a week so can I  :D.

Somebody indicated somewhere in an old post that they can make it with $200 per week and I seem to be way off at this stage

Please help.

Offline vulpes

Re: Groceries and day-to-day stuff (including cleaning aids)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:45:42 am »
dont beat yourself up, we always find that the first few months our grocery bills are much higher as you have to get used to where to go and what to buy and where the specials are etc etc.

just having a look now, and here in our last posting, after the first 4 months our grocery bill dropped off by 35%.

of course, this doesnt always work, when DH did all the grocery shopping, our bill DOUBLED!  ;D
23/08/2010 EOI Submitted
25/08/2010 EOI Selected
10/09/2010 EOI Selection Rescinded
23/05/2010 EOI Re Selected
06/06/2011 ITA Received
27/11/2011 ITA Submitted
10/12/2011 ITA Rejected
16/03/2012 ITA ReSubmitted
11/05/2012 CO Assigned
14/09/2012 Phone Interview
26/10/2012 PR Approved
15/02/2013 In NZ

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:45:42 am »

Offline Awa

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 06:58:57 am »
When we got here we made due with about $80 a week (2 adults and 2 kids under 10).  We were so damn poor then!  Bought just the necessaties and ate toast and eggs many a evening - no cold drink or juice, just water and no snacks.  Now we spend about $150 a week - I buy whatever is on special.  The $150 a week also include some lollies and snacks like chips.  I then budget an extra $70 a fortnight for bread and milk.  We don't eat like kings but we have, fish, red meat, sausage and chicken every week - in SA we could hardly ever afford steak or lamb here we have at least one of them every week.  BTW I only shop at Pak 'n Save for my big shop - they are by far the cheapest albeit not the nicest.
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline Shirls

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:40:20 am »
I found this till slip while spring cleaning and thought I should post it for newbies to get an idea... at the moment I am buying all our meat and veg from Pak N Save - I used to get veg from the local fruit and veg shop, but the quality and price are not as good at the moment.
This was an average week for us, except we did not need nappies, but did need coffee and wet wipes... FYI nappies depending on brand are usually $10 for a pack of 22. Huggies are around $15 a pack.

If you have any questions shout out.

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:56:21 pm »
Thanks everybody O0

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 06:37:15 am »
Agree with everyone.  The first few shops are horrendous  :tongue:  as you are buying your neccessities.  And you have no idea what the hell you are doing !!!  5 months on and we know what we need to spend.  We know where the specials are, what we should and shouldn't be paying for some things.   

Your bill should drop, unless your wine sales increase  :2funny:

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 09:33:30 am »
Jip Savayla and the wine is on special everywhere!  ;D

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 09:33:30 am »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 08:11:01 pm »
The wines always being on specials is a double edged sword.  In the beginning, I thought that a $6 bottle of Corbans tasted not bad.  But since I could then afford to buy a $16-$20 bottle of wine for $7.99, and it tasted REALLY GOOD, my taste buds won't allow a bottle of Corbans or others like that near me. 

So now we are always on the hunt for those specials.  We love Monkey Bay SB, which usually retails for $17, but we are always waiting for it to go on special and then we buy a few bottles.   Have also discovered Vine Online, which has amazing wines, which usually retail for $16 for $7.  And they deliver to your doorstep !!

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 09:00:59 pm »
Oooo, thanks for the Vine Online tip Savayla.  Hope I won't have to last too long on the $6 stuff when I get there.  Red wine is my preference and I am  :smitten: with the Two Oceans Merlot Cabernet blend here which is pretty good for R27.  Must add that to my things I will miss list  :'(  Any relatives who may visit us will have strict instructions to bring it as their allowance, 1 per person.

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 09:45:34 pm »
They sell Two Oceans here !!!  I have to say that I am not a fan of their white, not sure what it is, a Chardonnay, Riesling or SB, but they do have a few reds.  Not sure what they are, but the prices are usually around the $8 mark. 

Countdown sells most of the SA wines.  Even Lanzerac rose, my favourite.  Although, it does not go on special enough (Usually $17 , special $9) and we have a New World near us.  But, Countdown has taken over Fresh Choice here, so I may be in luck to pop in more often to see when it is on special. 

Countdown also sells a few Nederburgs, Durbanville Hills, Obikwa.  But we are very happy with the NZ wines and Australian ones.  Seems they don't seem to sell the really good SA ones here, or they are too damn expensive. 

Happy suiping !!  :2funny:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 09:46:33 pm »
and you get JC leRoux too :clap:

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 09:48:22 pm »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 09:48:22 pm »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 10:05:11 pm »
I am  :smitten: with the Two Oceans Merlot Cabernet blend here which is pretty good for R27.  Must add that to my things I will miss list  :'(  Any relatives who may visit us will have strict instructions to bring it as their allowance, 1 per person.

SA 3001  I went to Countdown yesterday and they had Two Oceans Merlot Shiraz blend and Two Oceans Shiraz Cab.  Could not remember what it was that you were  :smitten: with .  See it was the Merlot Cab.  But the good news is that they are often on sale and these two bottles , sitting nicely in my wine rack which never seems to stay full !!! >:D , cost $6.99 each !!! I have yet to try them out.

My Lanzerac was $14.99   :'( 

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 10:28:16 pm »
 :yippee:  Will start stocking up as soon as we get there.  The Shiraz blend is super good too.  Have a big birthday coming up in January and would prefer not to have to celebrate with "Paarl Perle".