Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Returning Saffers  (Read 2825 times)

Offline rodz

• Rodney
Returning Saffers
« on: April 29, 2007, 09:29:16 pm »
Does anyone know the ratio of Saffers returning home. My neighbour was telling me earlier that quite a few people that he knew that went over has returned.Says they dont have the stomach for NZ.
German Engineering At Its Best-BMW

greenfamily

Re: Returning Saffers
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 09:46:58 pm »
Hi
Are you still in SA or in NZ?
What does he mean they did not have the stomach for NZ.
It must be difficult to come back both from a financial and emotional perspective.
But hell one has one life and if you want to come back so be it.
There are some interesting postings on the sa homecoming revolution site on peoples experiences of coming back and  their reasoning.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 09:46:58 pm »

Offline rodz

• Rodney
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 09:55:42 pm »
Hi
Are you still in SA or in NZ?
What does he mean they did not have the stomach for NZ.
It must be difficult to come back both from a financial and emotional perspective.
But hell one has one life and if you want to come back so be it.
There are some interesting postings on the sa homecoming revolution site on peoples experiences of coming back and  their reasoning.

I am still in SA!
Maybe some people are just not the adapting type!!

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 10:25:32 pm »
I'm a fighter not a quitter, but trust me, you go through times that will break even the toughest person. It's how you deal with each situation that makes to stay or go. I have been through times where I thought, rather the devil you know :-\ but that's when you're down and not thinking straight :'( It also depends on wether you have a supportive partner O0 ie, when you feeling down, they will remind you why you moved and what you have now and vice versa. If you both go down then you need to rely on friends to support you O0
Admittedly, we went through more hell in the UK, but I'm much happier here. It has by no means been stress free :-\ There is a thing that a lot of people get which I think is called, culture shock depression and most people get it but at different levels :-\
I will try and find the article I read about it ;)

Immigration is not for sissies ::)

And this website well become your biggest support group O0 so don't disappear after you've moved :knuppel2: ;D

Offline jeannel

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 10:48:42 pm »
Hi there you guys  :clap:

I think the hardest thing is the feeling that you don't elong anywhere anymore. Not a SAn anymore and cannot go back, but not a Kiwi yet.   :confused:
Especially people like me who's not on the skill shortage list.  It makes you feel like you're never gonna find your feet again.  In SA you're not black enough to get a job, and in NZ your skills are not needed enough for you to get a job offer.  :confused:

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 11:23:41 pm »
You'll get there Jean, just keep trying O0

brad77

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 02:05:48 am »
I know the kind of South African who goes back. They whinge and compare everything to SA.

They also wont support the All Blacks.

Stay in SA if this sounds like you. You wont like it here!  8)

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 02:05:48 am »

brad77

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 02:12:56 am »

This is great advice. If you are not prepared for some tough time then its probably best to stay where you are comfortable, have your friends and family and your maid and all the things you will miss.

Offline rodz

• Rodney
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 06:07:08 am »
I'm a fighter not a quitter, but trust me, you go through times that will break even the toughest person. It's how you deal with each situation that makes to stay or go. I have been through times where I thought, rather the devil you know :-\ but that's when you're down and not thinking straight :'( It also depends on wether you have a supportive partner O0 ie, when you feeling down, they will remind you why you moved and what you have now and vice versa. If you both go down then you need to rely on friends to support you O0
Admittedly, we went through more hell in the UK, but I'm much happier here. It has by no means been stress free :-\ There is a thing that a lot of people get which I think is called, culture shock depression and most people get it but at different levels :-\
I will try and find the article I read about it ;)

And this website well become your biggest support group O0 so don't disappear after you've moved :knuppel2: ;D

Well we are definately not going back. We have decided thats the way its gonna be. If we dont come reg there we will maybe ship off to a even more relaxed lifestyle.....say like the Caribbean....if only!!! :2funny:

Just need to get this darn house and car sold!!!

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 09:47:01 am »
The amount of people returning is very, very low. Homecomming Revolution did a study to see how they could get people back to SA and they found that those that move to NZ or OZ, they can write off because they have practically no chance of luring them back to SA  :2funny:

When HR manage to lure 1000 people back, they make a HUGE deal of it and tell the world that ex-SA'ns are flocking back in their droves to SA. It's all a load of bullsh*t.

Once you leave SA, there IS no turning back - you HAVE to make it work, especially if you have a paler skin. Your chances of coming back and finding work is seriously slim. In my opinion, you would be stupid to come back.

What we are busy doing is making two videos and photo albums - one that shows us the reasons we left, the other the things we like and want our daughter to remember. When the urge to come back hits, we will pull out the 'why we left video and album' to restore the balance. We are doing this because you brain automatically cuts out the bad memories and keeps the good memories - those of you who were forced to go to the army will know what I am talking about.

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 10:00:22 am »
That's a really good idea Nolan O0

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 10:17:14 am »
Hi
I think the people who come back are the type who expect to swop what they have here for the same over there ie big house, maid etc  If you are not prepared to step down then do not waste your time or money.  We are happy to have a small house and car and be able to walk on the streets without being afraid.   Life is an adventure enjoy it and be thankful you even got the choice to go as for many they do not have the luxury of being able to leave SA.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 10:17:14 am »

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 12:32:45 pm »

Once you leave SA, there IS no turning back - you HAVE to make it work, especially if you have a paler skin. Your chances of coming back and finding work is seriously slim. In my opinion, you would be stupid to come back.

I totally agree with you, Nolan. That's another reason I think this site is wonderful. Once we are in NZ, and we feel dicouraged or missing everything familiar  :'( , we can always go online , and have the support of all you guys!  :D

Keep it up guys!  :clap:

greenfamily

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 06:10:51 pm »
I think one must give it a good tonk before giving up as no doubt their will be tough days.
I however think adjustments are more invovled than just missing a big house and maids as suggested by some members. It is even conceivable that some members could evern improve their financial position and still have adjustments problems or even changed circumstances.
Emmigrtaion is a complex issue and it would be arrogant to just write off members who decide to come back or worse slate them.

Offline rodz

• Rodney
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 06:52:01 pm »
I think one must give it a good tonk before giving up as no doubt their will be tough days.
I however think adjustments are more invovled than just missing a big house and maids as suggested by some members. It is even conceivable that some members could evern improve their financial position and still have adjustments problems or even changed circumstances.
Emmigrtaion is a complex issue and it would be arrogant to just write off members who decide to come back or worse slate them.

Ja it will be a big change. I always look at it and compare it to my life.my mother calls me a rolling stone.I always told her that happiness and good working conditions comes before a good salary. Even a permanent job put the shackles on me.

I have moved quite a bit in my short life trying to find that ideal job. in all the places it took me a while to adapt to the people as we are all different. As i was saying it was difficult getting used to peeps in SA what still about NZ. a new country,new people,laws,cultures and everything......thats a challenge but its gonna be my last move. My kids need to settle down,luckily i did my moving around before my kids were school bound so it was not to difficult for them.

Once i leave the shores their is no coming back!!! My wife will scatter my ashes in greenest NZ!!