Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Will we get by?  (Read 2899 times)

Offline ChristyL

Will we get by?
« on: September 20, 2010, 02:38:06 pm »
I have read and read and read  :coffee: these posts, but don't seem to find what I'm looking for.

We will be going over on my earning alone (I'll be the one with the job! I'm a nurse). Hubby will look for a job when we get there. We have 3 kids, who I homeschool.

We are not rich by any stretch of the imagination! We only have 1 moderately good salary now, and we watch each and every penny every month!

Will we be on about the same level then when we move to NZ? I certainly don't expect to be more "flush", but will it be worse? I know we're leaving for all the right reasons, and money doesn't bother us, but will we survive??? We will be looking to live in a smaller town / city if possible, so that hopefully houses and general living expenses will be less.

I can't seem to find a site that tells me how much nurses earn? Any ideas?

Tx
Christy

Offline thombatt

Re: Will we get by?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 07:23:42 pm »
I found this, but don't know if it's the most up to date

http://www.healthstaffrecruitment.com.au/salary-scales-nurses-and-midwives-new-zealand.pdf

Certainly if you contact  http://www.nzno.org.nz/ they should be able to give you a copy of the latest agreement ad pay scales

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 07:23:42 pm »

Offline Awa

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:21:52 am »
I work for a Health Provider but it's private so I understand the salaries are a bit higher than the government hospitals.  I will try and find out at work what the going rate for nurses are as most of the staff have worked for the District Health Board at some time or another.  Let me know how many years experience you have and what field you are in (eg. mental health, court liaison nurse, hospital or whatever).  Will you be putting the kids in school in NZ when you come over then?  Many families survive on just one salary so if you're prepared to live very simply until hubby can find something you should be okay.  We lived like peasants for the first 6 months (that's how long we lived on one salary) but somehow it was still okay.  I will find out what I can and get back to you O0
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline Shirls

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 10:00:17 am »
I can tell you that nurses on the small community health team I work with, earn around $24 - $26 an hour. We live in Hamilton so it is not as expensive as Auckland or Wellington.
Good luck, have you got a job already?

Offline El

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:26:16 am »
When we lived in Chch we earned a pittance.  Our annual salary equivalent for both of us working was $37,000 p.a.  We lived very cheap, shopped at pack & save etc but managed to get by.  We do not have children. 

Offline Awa

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 06:49:47 am »
I spoke to my nurse friend at work and she says the annual salary for nurses can vary from District to Disctrict.  She's only worked in the Waikato region and says that starting salary for nurses here is about $40000 p.a..  With experience the salary goes up.  Apparently when you have about 10 years experience you can earn between $60 to $70 000 p.a.  She also reckons that she prefers working for a private firm as she works normal hours 8:30 to 4:30, 5 days a week - as apposed to shift work.  Hope this helps.
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline ChristyL

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 10:29:56 am »
Thanks so much everyone!  :-*

I am just about to go back to work to up my experience as I have been out of the game for about 6 years now. It's going to be tough with the home schooling, but we'll get by.

I will continue homeschooling in NZ - I think changing countries and then sticking the kids in school will be too much for them, they've never been to school.

Thanks so much for the info again - all was very helpful!! O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 10:29:56 am »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 09:03:47 pm »
ChristyL,  we homeschool here in NZ.  There seems to be so much more for the kids than there was in SA, in fact, I have to really pick and choose carefully otherwise I won't have anytime to school.  My girls are loving it and have fitted in very well. 

Offline ChristyL

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 03:06:26 pm »
ChristyL,  we homeschool here in NZ.  There seems to be so much more for the kids than there was in SA, in fact, I have to really pick and choose carefully otherwise I won't have anytime to school.  My girls are loving it and have fitted in very well.

That's very encouraging to hear! Here in SA you have to really go out and look for things to do. I have a great support group, but even in that, people seem to want to do things individually. I guess in SA there isn't such a sense of "community" because we all live behind 6 foot walls!

Which part of NZ are you in?