Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Jackets  (Read 1986 times)

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
Jackets
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:58:35 am »
I have been looking through the posts for advice on jackets for NZ weather.  So far, this is what I have learned - correct me please if I am wrong.  The best option seems to be a 3-way jacket that is wind and waterproof.  Then you can discard the layers you don't need in summer.  Now the prices here are about R1200 upwards for adults and R399 for kids. 

1.  I think they will be more expensive to buy in NZ?  Or will there be end of winter sales in Oct to pick up bargains?
2.  I don't want to spend this kind of money and then find I still have to buy a lightweight jacket for summer as well, so want to get it right.
3.  None of us has anything suitable at the moment - I don't even own a jacket unless you count my Bokke one and I don't want to wear that all the time.

:help:

Oh yes, and shoes.  Will we need something more substantial than the every day running shoes we wear here?  And they are mostly white  :confused:

Offline Awa

Re: Jackets
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 08:37:47 am »
Sorry I can't really help you with prices but I can say that winter and summer clothes here are miles apart.  I cannot wear anything that I wear in mid winter in summer (too hot) and I cannot wear anything that I wear in summer in mid winter (too cold).   I find summers to be really hot (I stay on the North Island) and winters to be freezing cold so I have two seperate wardrobes for those two seasons.  I've only ever bought jackets at SaveMart (second hand shop) and I paid about $150 for it.  I know that jackets can be very pricey new (maybe go check out some online catalogues).   Shoes wise the 'tekkies' I brought over from SA just gets soaked in wet weather (and once any part of your body is wet the wind and cold makes sure you will be freezing cold in no time) so you will need a good set of boots for everyday wear.  There are a wide variety of boots available that keeps the water out and the warmth in.   And everyone needs a set of Wellies to wear around the garden  O0.   I found it quite amazing when we first came over how the wind managed to get in and through clothes.  I used to wear jeans in winter in SA to keep warm - in NZ I never wear jeans without thermals as the wind seems to make the jeans freezing cold agains your skin.  A good tip I got was to wear clothes close to the skin and then layer over.
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 08:37:47 am »

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 11:40:21 am »
Check out:
www.kathmandu.co.nz
www.bivouac.co.nz

Both places have great sales often. A good 3 way jacket will have a good, thick fleece inner and a fairly good wind and waterproof outer. I've got 2 and I can happily use the outer in Summer and both in Winter. One is a Marmot and one is a First Ascent. Check out the above sites and do the math (not sure what the current exchange rate is but its somewhere around R5.40 to the $?
07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!

Offline tmprince

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 12:59:01 am »
we have found that an ordinary drimac has been fine and we arrived on the 1st of July and have just worn fleece tops with drimac ,we did buy 2 quicksilver faux fur lined hoodies that are quiet gjill for $50 each but then we are on the North Shore of Auckland , everyone keeps telling me this has been the worst winter in ages ?? we havn't used a heater since moving into our house so who knows I havn';t found it over cold just OVER WET!
Lovies
Marcia
EOI submitted   13-01-09
EOI selected     28-01-09
ITA recieved     09-02-09
ITA submitted   24-06-09
ITA lodged       26-06-09
CO assigned     28-09-09
WTR approved  14-05-2010
Arrived 01-07-2010
PR March 2011
5 YEARS TODAY 01-07-2015

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 01:40:53 am »
Thanks Marcia.  We've decided to just buy light weight 100% waterproof drimacs for now and will buy something warm in NZ when winter comes around again - the power of positive thinking that we will get jobs and still be there to see the winter  O0