Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Salvos and charity shops in NZ?  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Salvos and charity shops in NZ?
« on: September 30, 2010, 01:24:00 am »
Hi guys! Hmm, as our $$$$ is extremely tight at the moment, paying for container and flights etc....my daughter needed some cooler summer clothes, popped into a lovely charity store here in Perth and ended up paying only $20 for 3 summer outfits for her.
There is nothing wrong with these clothes and obviously after a good wash they are fit to wear! I hope there are these shops over in NZ as the bargains are just amazing - although I do no of a few SA who will not set foot in those stores, let alone wear 2nd hand clothes..... ;D Saw some stunning, clean almost brand new curtains for next to nothing per drop....like $5... :heeha: Sorry, I am not  :blush: to pop in at these shops and purchase stuff....especially now - we simply do not have the money... :-\ and am so grateful my daughter can understand that.. :)
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
Re: Salvos and charity shops in NZ?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 01:32:31 am »
 :2funny: Besides the underwear, I would have no problem utilising these shops  O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 01:32:31 am »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 01:38:17 am »
Lots and lots of Salvation Army and Red Cross stores around here!!  We have at least three in our suburb alone!!  O0

And yeah you do get lotsa lovely bargains from them.  My wife and I cannot get ourselves to buy second hand underwear, but the rest is free game!  :2funny:

Ah.... :clap: so glad I am not alone.....yes, underwear is a no-no....but even bric and brac stuff, pots and pans, stunning dinner services etc....unbelievable! Kids grow so fast, $3 for tees and shorts, I mean, really, one cannot go wrong! As to $25 for almost the same tee-shirt at a leading department store..... >:( So glad to hear that they are loads of these shops over there as well - as I shall be scouting around for.....as they say here.....baagins.... :2funny:

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 02:22:21 am »
Underwear !!!!!   :2funny:  :2funny:  that is just too gross !!! 

I am an avid second hand shopper and even frequent the recycle shops.  I did this in SA too .  All the clothes you buy in these shops have to be washed first before they can be sold.  I have bought my daughters some gorgeous clothes, practical but pretty woolen jerseys, etc.  Last week I came home with two pairs of really good, looks new jeans for my DD who has messed hers up with the chickens.  Cost was $9 for both.  We came over from Malaysia with zero warm clothes and have managed to get most things from the Hospice and Salvation Army shops.  The biggest problem for me is shoes for them.  Maybe it is just me, but I could not find any practical but pretty winter shoes at all.  They were all canvas takkies, and other cheap junk.  My girls mostly wear gumboots but eventually found some leather ankle shoes that zip up at the side, and were strong (I always take DH shoe shopping as he insists on it being strong  :2funny: ) but they cost $35 !!! 

If anyone in SA will do farm work, then bring overalls from SA.  We bought our DD a pair last week, in desperation as all her clothes are really messed up, and they cost us $42 !!! 

I now have a bucketful of knitting wool, most of it 100% , from the Hospice shop, and they cost me 50c for a bag of 4 instead of $8 for one . 

Enjoy, they are a lot of fun and you get to know which ones have the best clothes, the best puzzles, etc etc. 

Offline Paperdoll

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:46:54 am »
You can also buy clothes on Trade Me.  I know a lot of ladies that buy clothes there and have raved about their buys.

Just got to be a bit smart though with the bidding.  Sometimes they start too high and if there is no bids put it in your watchlist;  if there are no bids at close, you sometimes get a special Buy Now price.  But if the Buy Now price is not accepted, most times it goes back on auction with a $1 reserve and then with smart bidding, you can get it at a bargain price.  There is a courier charge though.  But still I got a really nice winter top for $9.50 ($5.00 bid + $4.50 courier).  There is nothing wrong with the top and would have cost anything from $35 to $45 in Farmers.

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:03:56 am »
Personally, I think this is a great option, especially for young kids who grow from week to week.  We don't have anything like this in EL and all DD's clothes and shoes get runied at Preschool.  I would use this option to buy her everyday play clothes and then just buy some special items from Farmers etc. for outings etc.  I think I will do this very soon after arriving as I have just bought her whole new summer wardrobe from Woolies here and want to preserve these items for as long as they fit  O0  Then I will put them away when they get too small and pass them on to any folks on the forum who may need them like you guys do with other stuff  :clap: If you look after the Woolies stuff they stay like new.

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 07:12:23 am »
Yip, kids shoot up so fast! Sadly Woolies was a little out of our budget to clothe our kids - so Ackermans had to do..... ::) And yes, even tracksuits from good old Pep Stores - I could afford to buy 4 for the price of 1 at Woolies......but must admit - I was extremely pleased with Ackermans clothing - not too shabby at all... :clap: We have a 'best and less' here which is almost like a Ackermans - great stuff - but still nothing beats the charity shops O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 07:12:23 am »

Offline tmprince

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 09:28:54 pm »
OUr church on East Coast Road has a swop meet you bring in your kids old clothes and you get a ticket per item and the scrutinise the items well, then they all get packed onto tables under the size and sex of the clothing and when they open the doors then people come in and get others to the value of their tickets there is a limit of 2o tickets per person so if you have more than one kid you give half the swap aways to your husband other wise you loose out cause they do ask if you will donate the rest if you have extra.
was fasinated as to how many people and how much clothes there where, I of course don't have little ones but as I am so  :nosey: I had to go along to "observe" the baby stuff was gorgeous (and as this is NS alot of stuff on that table was woolies SA  ;D)
I was told that on the day that they open it was a free for all and that the good stuff goes in the first 1/2 hour , I wonder what happens if you can't find stuff for all your tickets :confused: guess it's a chance you take I also don't know what happens to the left overs probabally goes to charity I suppose.
Lovies
Marcia
EOI submitted   13-01-09
EOI selected     28-01-09
ITA recieved     09-02-09
ITA submitted   24-06-09
ITA lodged       26-06-09
CO assigned     28-09-09
WTR approved  14-05-2010
Arrived 01-07-2010
PR March 2011
5 YEARS TODAY 01-07-2015

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 10:03:21 pm »
You can sign up for a daily Trade Me specials.  They send you 3 specials for the day .  Most of it I just scan and delete, but occassionally a really good deal comes up.  I recently bought a fantastic recipe book for DH for $4.95.  I always check what the going prices are first by doing search on local sites, and if it is a foreign object then I go to Amazon and read the reviews there first.  The book was selling at Whitcoulls for $38 !!!!   

Last week they were advertising a 100 piece cake decorating kit.  I looked it up on Amazon and the reviews were "Cheap and tacky, does not work " so saved $15 .  This week, they were advertising a National Geographic Bug Barn kit for kids .  Amazon reviews were very good about quality so I showed it to my DD, who loves bugs.  It was $35 with shipping.  She has been saving her pocket money and decided that she wanted to buy it.  So I did it for her and she paid me cash .  On other NZ sites it was selling for $48-$63 . 

So research before you buy, some deals are too good to be true !!!

But I love Trade Me !!!  WE just bought a beautiful XL sheepskin for $31 .  I finally worked out how to bid . There is a button where you can put in  the amount you are prepared to spend, then Trade Me will do the bidding for you when you are outbid, up to the price you put in.  So I won !!!  Now DD wants to save up for her own, but I know in the shops these sizes are about $150 !! 

Enjoy trading

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 10:17:30 pm »
 :clap:  Savayla, this sounds like fun.  I love a bargain. Should also appeal to my "frugal but I want everything" son.  O0

And Marcia's post too  :clap:  My OH is looking at me skeef about this second hand thing, but I don't care.  He will learn and besides I'm the boss when it comes to these things  :knuppel2: :2funny:

:offtopic:  Did a quick pretend online grocery shop at Foodtown just to get an idea and I think we could manage on $150 to $170 per week excluding fresh veg and fruit.  They even have a special on my favourite red wine this week for $7   :clap: