Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Zimbabweans and Home Affairs  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
Zimbabweans and Home Affairs
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:46:54 pm »
'Zimbabweans who have been queuing outside Home Affairs offices to register for work and study permits say they are growing increasingly desperate.
The deadline for the registration of the thousands of illegal Zimbabweans in South Africa is 31 December. But the process has been plagued with problems and some people have been waiting for days to get appointments.
The department has promised to increase the number of staff at its busiest offices. But when Eyewitness News visited the Home Affairs office in Harrison Street in the Johannesburg city centre on Tuesday, more than a 100 people were crowded outside.
Some, including mothers with children, had been sleeping on the street for days.
Others said they simply did not know what to do anymore and are afraid they will lose their jobs.
“What they are doing is okay to offer us permits but the way they are doing it is not okay. They should not keep us here for a long time because we will lose our jobs,” said one man outside the offices.
The Home Affairs Department is to hold a briefing on the matter in Pretoria on Wednesday.'

I wonder how this will impact on people still waiting for passports etc from Home Affairs? :confused:
They can't cope as it is :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Wayne and Kath

Re: Zimbabweans and Home Affairs
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 07:21:36 pm »
Go figure, Saffers have been moaning for years about how long it takes to get any form of paperwork out of Home Affairs but now the Zimbabweans expect their permits sorted out in days, guess we just have to stand back and let them jump the queue, after all who are we as citizens to expect any form of service delivery from our own government. And lets remember that this whole situation arose because Home Affairs were too slap to do anything about the "refugee" problem in the first place, it was just easier to let them wander across the border and "integrate into SA society.
07/9/2010: EOI Submitted
08/9/2010: EOI Selected
16/9/2010: ITA Received
16/9/2010: CO Appointed
7/10/2010: ITA Submitted
11/10/2010: ITA Lodged

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 07:21:36 pm »

Offline Lourens

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:04:03 am »
Folks - imagine for a moment how desperate those Zimbabwean PEOPLE must be!  Please don’t simply criticise them without any thought to their desperation.  As immigrants or wannabee immigrants  ourselves, surely we should have some compassion!  Not many of us have yet had to take our children for a sleep-out on Immigration New Zealand’s  doorsteps, or are we so special and privileged, that we cannot recognise their plight.  And when we get Aotearoa , do we not hope for a more compassionate reception?

Offline Wayne and Kath

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 07:20:46 am »
Don't get me wrong, I do have tremendous sympathy for the Zimbabwean folk living here both in terms of their situation here and the conditions that drove them to flee their own country. What I do have a huge problem with is the fact that the problem was completely ignored by Home Affairs. These people should have been given the proper permits when they first arrived here and should have been assisted with integration into SA. My post is not so much criticism of the Zimbabwean folk but serious criticism of how Home Affairs has and is treating them.
At the same time I get very irritated when a monumental effort is mounted to process these people but when we citizens moan about the service we get its simply ignored. Remember that if HA mobilise staff to sort the Zimbabwe problem it means that our birth certificates, passports etc will just take longer.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:25:46 am by Wayne and Kath »

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 09:40:30 am »
The deadline for the registration of the thousands of illegal Zimbabweans in South Africa is 31 December. ....
..... Others said they simply did not know what to do anymore and are afraid they will lose their jobs.
“What they are doing is okay to offer us permits but the way they are doing it is not okay. They should not keep us here for a long time because we will lose our jobs,” said one man outside the offices.

My problem is not getting them documented. My problem is they should have been "stopped" at the "borders" and the "gates". They shouldn't have had the opportunity to get "into" the country in the first place. "We" did nothing to keep them out and now "we" need to do something to "make" them "legal"...  ::) . Just doesn't make sense to me...  ???
Cheers,  :confused: , SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Wayne and Kath

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 09:47:50 am »

My problem is not getting them documented. My problem is they should have been "stopped" at the "borders" and the "gates". They shouldn't have had the opportunity to get "into" the country in the first place. "We" did nothing to keep them out and now "we" need to do something to "make" them "legal"...  ::) . Just doesn't make sense to me...  ???

Exactly, and just for what its worth it is us generous SA taxpayers that are funding the whole operation.

Offline Awa

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 09:56:36 pm »
There really is not logic here.  In a country that has over 30% unemployment to continue to let more and more people into the country will in my mind prove to be the catalyst for civil war fueled by extreme poverty, desperation and hopelessness.  The best way to start war is a to give a desperate angry person a gun - and there is no shortage of that there.  I have a lot of sympathy for the Zimbabwean people but allowing them to stay is like a parent adopting more and more children while not being able to feed the ones they have! 
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 09:56:36 pm »