Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Ridiculously expensive hair do's in NZ!!  (Read 8151 times)

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
Ridiculously expensive hair do's in NZ!!
« on: October 15, 2010, 02:12:47 am »
Hi everybody (think this one is for the ladies but if the men can ask their wives it will also help)

Today I paid a small fortune for foil highlights and a haircut. I have never paid so much for hair in my whole life and I don't know if this is the norm in NZ and if this is the price to pay for hair!  :help: I converted it back to Rand which was a total mistake since it worked out to R300 more than what I paid in SA in Aug before we left.

They charge $45 for a haircut and $90-$140 for highlights (I am not going to tell you what I paid) My husband says it is the price of a small car!  :D and he is a bit  :tickedoff: with me ( :blush:) I have never ever spend so much money on my hair. Goodness!

ns. I must say it is the best haircut that I have ever had, the hairdresser is a South African and she is fab! The colour of the highlights is unbelievable and I look very very pretty  :blush:

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
Re: Ridiculously expensive hair do's in NZ!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 02:28:15 am »
I absolutely LOVE the hairdresser, think SA lost a great one, she really knows what she is doing but I don't think that I will be able to afford this on a regular basis, I will have to wear a hat if the routes starts showing  ;D I have done some calculations and I will need to save $20 per week to do this once every 8 weeks!

I can pm her details for you if you like? Just save loads of money before you go

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 02:28:15 am »

Offline Anna007

• Browns Bay, NZ
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 06:30:13 am »
Hi Ursula,

They charge $45 for a haircut and $90-$140 for highlights
Jip, dis di average hi rond... :o skokkend ja.....

Ek het al die cheaper ones probeer en die duurder ones..... :uglystupid2: ek het nou 2 haarkappers gekry wat beide uitstekend sny...al is dit vrek duur...mens kan mos ni met so iets kanse waag nie.....maar die kleur en foils is n anne storie...ek kan dit definitief nie bekostig op 'n gereelde basis (soos in SA ni)...gaan nou ma di hairs self by di huis kleur...en foils is net vi spesiale geleenthede....  ;D
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for"

Offline Paperdoll

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 07:07:15 am »
Yep, I did my nut when I first started needing a haircut here!! :o And I thought some of the prices in SA were expensive!  All I can afford to do is cut my hair and that at $40.00 a time.  I used to love have foils and highlights in SA, but eish I cannot bring myself to pay the prices here.  :idiot2: So I now I just DIY colour my hair myself at about $12 every 10 weeks or so.  I can live with that.  Just wish I could do the highlighting myself then I would be happy.

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 08:36:40 am »
I don't often do the girly grooming thing here nor did I in SA. But when I did and it involved colouring hair, I made sure I never went to the lowest bidder - previous experience taught me that's not always the best idea!

I have pretty long hair (about half way down my back) so when I'd go in for a cut, colour (usually full colour with some lowlights) & style in SA (Sandton City - can't remember the name of the place now!) it would easy be between R1200 to R1300! I had my hair down when we arrive last year and after converting to Rands, paid about the same. Recently had it done again and it cost $260. Totally outrageous, I know, but I literally do it once a year and it looks and feels amazing, so I cut the guilt out.

Because you're worth it, Ladies! ;)
07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!

Offline El

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 10:07:32 am »
auckland ladies you must try HUE for colour.  They are fantastic and affordable.  They've got a couple of branches around.

Please do publish name and number of the good saffer hairdresser!

BTW:  I justify my hair expenses to my hubby by explaining that I wear my hair every day so it costs quite a little per wear.   :angel:

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 08:07:17 pm »
The colour of the highlights is unbelievable and I look very very pretty  :blush:

Then it was worth it !!!!   Tell hubby next time you want to go do it again, that you are thinking of having a boob job .  He will very quickly let you have those highlights put in !!!! 

I am a bit out of my depth in this conversation.  I think I have been to a hairdresser 4 times in my life !!!  My dad always cut my hair, then  my boyfriend who is now my husband, who is still cutting my hair. I in turn have always cut his (Friends say they can see this !!!  :2funny:  and my two kids "   Guess I am saving a pretty penny !!!  You got to have the right scissors, with the tiny serrations.  And a man with a sense of humour when it goes wrong !!  :2funny: 

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 08:07:17 pm »

Offline WalJo

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 08:37:39 pm »
Once I had to trim my BH's sideburns. Needless to say it ended up almost eye level. He was not happy, not happy at all and still tell everybody not to let me near them with scissors. :2funny:

Offline WalJo

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 08:40:27 pm »
Oh forgot to say. Ursula looks like a model with that expensive hair doo!!! :clap: According to me it was all worth it and if hubby have anything further to say I will  :hang: him.

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 09:20:19 pm »
I have been battling to find a decent hairdresser over here.  I found one in Mosgiel, and she did a good job and wasn't too expensive, but since moving to Chch I have battled to find someone.  On Tuesday I went to a new Hair Salon, Janine Jansen at the Northlands Mall in Chch.  I was there for an hour, no colour or highlights, a total restyle.  Their prices aren't too bad.  Cut $32, Restyle $42.  Now the extra cost comes in when you add a shampoo, then a quick dry.  Walked out there paying $50, I would probably go back again.
Remember in SA we didn't pay to be pampered with a nice shampoo and head massage while they put the conditioner into your hair.  I never paid for a quick dry especially in the winter, but paid for a blow wave. 
Here in NZ we pay for a shampoo, you pay for a dry looks like the same price you would pay for a blow wave.
Now if you want a really cheap cut , and not much else, you could go to Just Cuts.  I don't recommend them as all they do is cut, and I have never walked out of one of those salons feeling great.

Offline Paperdoll

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 10:07:58 pm »
Well, I was happy with the fact that I already had a hairdresser here in Auckland.  Just when we arrived and were staying with our friends, I went to her for a cut and loved it.  Now I have got back to Auckland, I've gone back to her and am so glad to have a hairdresser sorted.  O0

I mostly coloured my hair myself in SA and then just used to just do the foils or highlights at the hairdresser.  So been thinking of getting some hightlights done as a treat.

Offline Awa

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 05:17:59 am »
I go to Just Cuts as I have NEVER found a hairdresser that can blowdry my hair the way I like it.  I always ended up going home and re-doing the styling myself anyway so Just Cuts has been perfect for me.  Lucky for me I've never really been into higlights and lowlights and just give myself a home dye to get rid of the grey  :2funny:.  I'd much rather spend my money on clothes!  :whistle:
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 05:17:59 am »

Offline Wayne and Kath

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 07:20:18 am »
  Lucky for me I've never really been into higlights and lowlights and just give myself a home dye to get rid of the grey  :2funny: .  I'd much rather spend my money on clothes!  :whistle:

Sounds just like me  :2funny: ;D
Kath
07/9/2010: EOI Submitted
08/9/2010: EOI Selected
16/9/2010: ITA Received
16/9/2010: CO Appointed
7/10/2010: ITA Submitted
11/10/2010: ITA Lodged

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 10:14:58 am »
I home colour my hair, since my sister taught me how, 9 yrs ago.  Just wish I knew how to perm my own hair!! lol.
I've never highlighted or foiled my hair, as I just can't warrant spending that kind of money... but who knows... perhaps one day... I could always ask for that for my birthday or something!
As for styling, I've never in the 12 years since I left SA, found a hairdresser like the one had in SA.  She was the best, and I could just walk in and say, "Esme, I have no clue what I want for my hair, but I'm going out tonight, and I want to look stunning!".  And then I'd walk out and find myself blushing because the men would turn their heads, and almost have an accident.  Of course, that was also in the days when I still had my "pre-children" figure!   :whistle:
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 09:04:59 am »
To give you girls some background...... I have the ugliest natural hair colour in the world, I have the only natural hair colour that you will not find in box colour 'cause it is so ugly nobody wants their hair that colour  ;D Going natural is therefore not a solution. The other problem is that I am starting with the horrible grey hair (and they are too many to tweez) I cannot do the box with one solid colour cause my hair sheds that colour......... jip I have not found a box brand that will stick to my hair it fades and then I look really horrible. My only solution is highlights and low lights done by the professionals and I don't have any other solution at this stage, if you have one please let me know, my husband is going to  :hang: me and we will have to leave some food to pay for my hair in NZ  :heeha:.

Savalya    :2funny: :2funny:- I am scared that my husband might consider a boob job  :2funny: (not that we have the money) give me another suggestion ........... :whistle:

Oh forgot to say. Ursula looks like a model with that expensive hair doo!!! :clap: According to me it was all worth it and if hubby have anything further to say I will  :hang: him.
:1hug: :1hug: