Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Ridiculously expensive hair do's in NZ!!  (Read 8005 times)

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
Re: Ridiculously expensive hair do's in NZ!!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 10:51:50 am »
I know how you all feel about hair colour.  I have coloured my hair myself for as long as I can remember, which is a long time,  :'( :'( :'( so when my favourite product went off the market I went into a mild panic. :help: :help: (As soon as I find a product, any product, that I like, it goes off the market.  Is this a conspiracy?? ::) ::) ::)
Anyway I remembered Meryl Streep in 'The Devil wears Prada' and how glam she looked with her grey hair.  (No, I do not look like Meryl Streep) so decided to bite the bullet, leave off the colour and see what happens. :o :o It takes some getting used to, but so many people have said how nice it looks so have decided to start a new fashion. :heeha: :heeha: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I draw the line at short blue curls though. :2funny: :2funny:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 07:23:27 pm »
Savalya    :2funny: :2funny:- I am scared that my husband might consider a boob job  :2funny: (not that we have the money) give me another suggestion ........... :whistle: 

F/M and Savayla - I think  ::)  any "man" might consider the "boob job"...   :whistle:  , if the money was "NO" problem...   :2funny:
So, enjoy girls,  ;) , SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 07:23:27 pm »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 07:25:09 pm »
My landlady is around 50 years old, and her hair is totally grey.  I think she is so pretty . 

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 06:21:45 am »
Savalya    :2funny: :2funny:- I am scared that my husband might consider a boob job  :2funny: (not that we have the money) give me another suggestion ........... :whistle: 

F/M and Savayla - I think  ::)  any "man" might consider the "boob job"...   :whistle:  , if the money was "NO" problem...   :2funny:
So, enjoy girls,  ;) , SAKB

:2funny: :2funny:

I know how you all feel about hair colour.  I have coloured my hair myself for as long as I can remember, which is a long time,  :'( :'( :'( so when my favourite product went off the market I went into a mild panic. :help: :help: (As soon as I find a product, any product, that I like, it goes off the market.  Is this a conspiracy?? ::) ::) ::)
:

:2funny:

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 07:38:45 am »
What boobs ???   :confused:  To do a job, you have to have something to start with .   :2funny:

Offline Awa

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 07:46:50 am »
 :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:  You guys really do cheer me up!!  I don't think they need anything nowadays to 'start with' Savayla - they just suck out some of the extras all over the rest of your body (particularly the buttocks area for most of us ladies!!) and that is the 'something they need to start with'.  Oh no wait I think I'm thinking of a 'lip job' - don't they suck out some of your butt fat and stick it in your lips???   What a horrific thought  :2funny:
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 07:52:47 am »
  Oh no wait I think I'm thinking of a 'lip job' - don't they suck out some of your butt fat and stick it in your lips???   

That is disgusting !!  and then they call you something like bubba !!!  Geez, the Westerners are paying for what the AFricans have for free.  The Whites want to darken, the darker colours want to lighten.  Is anyone happy out there ????   And no, this is not racist.  Even in Asia, there are lightening creams. 

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 07:52:47 am »

Offline Awa

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 08:05:42 am »
Hey you just reminded me.  When I was little my mum used to have to carry my birth certificate with whenever we went on holiday cauz when I 'tanned' I went so brown that she had to prove that I was actually white and allowed on the beach  :2funny:  :2funny:  Sad but true!!   Now I just burn red!!  :tickedoff:
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 08:51:26 am »
I don't think they need anything nowadays to 'start with' Savayla - they just suck out some of the extras all over the rest of your body (particularly the buttocks area for most of us ladies!!) and that is the 'something they need to start with'.

::)  Wow, what do they call it after they took from the "one area" to fill up the "other area"??  ::)
Wouldn't it be called something like "boots" or what not  :o ??
I don't know if I would want that done to my OH...  :2funny:
Cheers,  :2funny: , SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Adele2310

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 03:01:23 pm »
So ladies lets go off topic slightly and talk nails!  So I have horrible thin nails that keep on breaking so since I've been in the US I've been doing this thing at the nail salon where they use white powder which they put on the tips and then pink powder for the bottom and hey presto you have French nails and they look great and they don't break.  Do they do this in NZ?

Thanks!

PS about the boob job thing.  Trust me when they're big and start hanging around your ankles you wish you were the one who had nothing to start with!  Gravity cannot be stopped!!!   :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 09:11:54 pm »
o my goodness  :2funny: :2funny: we started with my expensive hairdo and we have the whole shebang now, nails. boobs, lips, buds  :2funny: :2funny:

Seeing that we are chatting about other stuff than hair, I have seen a programme on TV where they suck fat out of your bud and then inject it in your hands to make it look younger again, I think it must be one of the most painfull things to do. I went for permanent makeup (eyeliner on my upper eye) and it was worst than child birth! terrible I would never ever do it again.

Hey you just reminded me.  When I was little my mum used to have to carry my birth certificate with whenever we went on holiday cauz when I 'tanned' I went so brown that she had to prove that I was actually white and allowed on the beach  :2funny:  :2funny:  Sad but true!!   Now I just burn red!!  :tickedoff:

My mom had to do that for my brother as well when he was little.

Offline kirst1

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 11:49:48 pm »
I have also found hair salons in town are ridiculously expensive, I have found a gem of a hairdresser out in the suburbs, who does a great cut for $40 (I never get them to blow dry my hair as I walk out looking like a member of Jackson 5 so do that when I get home). If you don't go to salons in the cities then its normally pretty affordable!

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 11:49:48 pm »

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 12:32:36 am »
Hair - I go to Sharing Shed for $22 a cut.  My hair is very short and am not one to fuss about it.  Sometimes they cut well and sometimes not.  But I'm not too fazed by it.  No time to faff over hair :-)

Nails - they are big over here so don't worry about it.  Plenty nail bars everywhere.

If you're in the Auckland East area I have someone I can recommend.

Offline ks11

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 02:43:51 am »
I have heard a couple ladies talking about Just Colours in Takpuna or Glenfield area.  They only do colour.  They do not cut hair.  A girl at work had her hair done and it looked fantastic, she had long curly hair and I think she had full colour with highlights and it cost her about $125.  I went to a hairdresser and I have much shorter hair than her and it cost me more, and it was a cheapie salon that I went to.
Ill go to Just Colours next time I need my hair done.

Dont have the number but Im sure you can find them in the white pages.

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 04:31:51 am »
Thanks KS  O0