Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Vaderland stories vir ons kinders  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Vaderland stories vir ons kinders
« on: October 21, 2010, 09:54:14 am »
Funny, on the eve of us applying to swap countries, my DH started telling stories to my girls that I have never heard of his early years on the farm.  And we have been together for almost 22 years !!  Stories of his Oom Tiens on his farm, his stoep which was made the traditional way with dung and peach pips with lotsa red wax that the "nannies" I am sure would have put on. 

I had not heard some of these stories, and questioned them.  And he said "Don't you remember those photographs of ...... "  Nah, I don't.  So I said "  All the photos I have of you I actually had to steal from your mom, she wasn't going to give them to me ".  So my almost 10 year old daughter pipes up " Well, that is South Africa."   "What is South Africa ?"  I asked her, confused.  " Stealing. " she answered innocently.   :2funny: 

But there have been many lovely memories shared tonight, and the stories will be repeated, and repeated.  It's called Heritage. 

"If you want your children to be brilliant tell them stories and if you want them to be more brilliant tell them more stories ."  Albert Einstein.   

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
Re: Vaderland stories vir ons kinders
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:27:17 pm »
BRILLIANT !!!!
I love it.
Cheers, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:27:17 pm »

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:06:30 am »
So my almost 10 year old daughter pipes up " Well, that is South Africa."   "What is South Africa ?"  I asked her, confused.  " Stealing. " she answered innocently.   :2funny: 

:2funny: