Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: What is wrong with SA  (Read 2494 times)

Offline alwyn

What is wrong with SA
« on: December 07, 2010, 10:27:07 am »
My daughter's school has a road crossing in front of the school.  For anyone who knows Cape Town, it is DF Malan.  So you have a crossing that crosses 2 sets of 2 lanes.  Both crossings have zebra markings and road signs that pedestrians have right of way.

This morning I stop at the school and a girl has just been run over by a truck.  Apparently it hit her, drove over her and away.  I see this happening every day, cars not stopping for pedestrians, or one lane stopping and the people in the other lane just driving over.  Never mind that everyone is speeding and on their phones.  Its the wild west, everyone just does what he wants for himself, screw society, screw right and wrong, screw the law.

So we stop having arrived probably 15 minutes after the accident.  STILL NO AMBULANCE.  We do however have 4 tow trucks and 2 police vehicles, NONE of which know first aid or have even the inclination to assist except by being there and direct traffic.  Probably 25 - 30 minutes later the ambulance arrives, despite 3 hospitals being within a 1 km radius.  You see ambulances in South Africa are dispatched centrally...  Ambulance arrives, paramedic steps out, takes out a jacket and leisurely puts it on while somebody is fighting for her life in the middle of a street...

This story is full of things that are wrong with South Africans.  Its almost as if everyone's only purpose in life is their own immediate satisfaction, nothing else matters.  We don't have goals that unite us, we don't care about anyone else, there is no community unless it is to huddle in a group to find safety in numbers.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Re: What is wrong with SA
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 10:52:04 am »
so VERY VERY sad!   I really don't know what to say.  :-\
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 10:52:04 am »

Offline RNienaber

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 11:18:22 am »
What amazes me here in Auckland is that (thus far) we found that the drivers really look out for pedestrians at pedestrian crossings. Not being used to traffic stopping for you - the pedestrian - it has happened quite a few times that I stood waiting for the cars to go by, while they have already stopped for me to let me cross the road. When I thanked them, some looked at me in amazement - huh!

Unfortunately in SA we found that drivers won't even let you walk first - even if the green pedestrian sign is on. It's very unfortunate that our children must suffer due to selfish incompetent drivers (most probably withoout a license or a bought one).

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 07:41:49 pm »
That is so sad, I have no words.

I know that in New Zealand 99% of the time people stop for pedestrians.  There are times when people don't stop so we still have to be careful when crossing the road.

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 08:21:10 pm »
I am still amazed that the cars stop for us here.  Although, I don't walk until I am totally sure. 

About 2 months ago, two guys fell asleep in their vehicle or were drunk or drugged, and they ended up on the opposite side of the road, in a deep donga.  One of them ran away.  This was opposite our driveway in a rural area.  The only reason we knew it had happened, as the driveway is about 500m long, is that when I looked out the window I saw 2 ambulances, and 3 fire trucks.  Then the helicopter arrived and parked on our driveway !!!  The driver was airlifted, and apparently, according to the FRONT PAGE news,  he just had minor neck and head injuries. 

So when I read  stories like this in SA, I thank my lucky stars I am here.  And feel sorry for those that are there.

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 08:57:04 pm »
That is terrible!!!!

If a driver don't stop for a pedestrian in NZ the pedestrian usually swears at the driver- seen this a few times. I stop at the crossings just to make 100% sure that there are no pedestrians wanting to cross because sometimes they just walk without looking. I can only imagine what would happen to a driver in NZ if he/she hits a pedestrian.

Offline Hopeful

• Auckland, NZ
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 09:54:34 pm »
That is just so sad. I know that DF crossing well. There's no excuse for the driver failing to stop or see the crossing - it's so well marked and highly visible. Don't even get me started on the taxis that drive on the wrong side of Boston Street so they can jump the queue, so if you're coming down they just stop in front of you and laugh at you till someone lets them push in again.  :fight: I'm a much calmer driver here in NZ. Much much much!

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 09:54:34 pm »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 10:04:00 pm »
Stuff does happen here.  The teen who was texting while driving and hit and killed the old granny walking over the pedestrian crossing.  And the hit and run, where someone hit a man who was holding his baby, while on the pedestrian crossing.  Which is why I don't just walk like the Kiwi's do, expecting that the car will stop. 

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 01:34:36 am »
What's wrong with SA?  Question should be "What's really right with it?" - much shorter answer! :(

Agreed with Savayla.  Stuff does happen here and people end up paying for it in many different ways! 
I also always stop and wait before crossing a road.  And that stupid turning rule - I always stop and make sure the person in front of me is actually stopping before I turn in front of them.  There have been SOOOO many situations where people don't slow down enough and just expect you to gap it while they're coming at you at you full speed!
07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!

Offline alwyn

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 07:14:07 am »
I have to agree with Savayla, another problem is that pedestrians assume that cars will behave.  I mean, who will come second in a fight between a person and a car?

So people in SA knowing how others drive will just walk into the road, open their car doors without looking and just in general not use their brains to be aware of their surroundings.

Offline Awa

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 07:26:55 pm »
This story is full of things that are wrong with South Africans.  Its almost as if everyone's only purpose in life is their own immediate satisfaction, nothing else matters.  We don't have goals that unite us, we don't care about anyone else, there is no community unless it is to huddle in a group to find safety in numbers.

I realised this little truth when watching a guy burn to death (on BBC) during the xenophobic violence while the police were putting yellow tape around his immediate area.  Eventually as the guy lied dying on the ground a cop came and sprayed him with a fire extinguisher - he was essentially burning to death in front of a whole bunch of cops who didn't lift a finger to help him. It was brutal and I remember thinking -  I need to get my family out of here.

Accidents happen all over the world but the reaction to it reveals a lot about a country.
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 10:08:39 pm »

Accidents happen all over the world but the reaction to it reveals a lot about a country.
:clap: :clap: :clap:  Very well said.   Wish I could choose a clap that doesn't have a big grinning face ?? 

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 10:08:39 pm »