Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Who are you ???  (Read 11466 times)

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
Re: Who are you ???
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 12:06:53 pm »
Hi everyone.

I think it is about time that I introduce myself.

My name is Eileen, hubby Nico and two boys, Chris (6) and Jonathan (4).

We have decided some time ago that SA is no longer the place for us. I cannot handle this crime and corruption any more. We decided on NZ by means of elimination.

We went to NZ last year during July/August to make sure if we are doing the right thing.

I'm sure that most people will agree that NZ is breathtakingly beautiful. Most people are friendly and helpful. Most of all, they live like we used to in the 70's and 80's. At a relaxed pace and generally safe and peaceful.

We have submitted our EOI some time ago, but need that job offer to be selected as neither of us are on the short list. So we decided to take the plunge!! The house is sold (at last), we are busy packing up and our plane tickets are booked, paid for and locked up for safekeeping!!!

Just a few more weeks and then we're there.

Eileen

Offline Marilize

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 12:15:09 pm »
Whew - that's quite a plunge!  Not sure where you're going, but if you're in this valley do let me know and we can get together.  Of course, if you're going to the North Shore you can just bugger off... ;D  Seriously, good luck.  Shout if there's something we can do to help from here.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 12:15:09 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 01:54:53 pm »
 :heeha: Eileen, about time  ;)

We have been friends with Eileen and Nico for some time now off site. (Colleen - The bum shot from the last meetup was Nico's  :2funny:)

We are looking forward to Sat  :) , just hope NZIS don't for any more blood test next week  ;D

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2007, 08:06:55 pm »
Is Christchurch not that cold, rainy, expensive place..?  >:D  And our netball team rocks  :2funny: netball is big here...

No, Christchurch is not expensive, it's loads cheaper then Auckland O0 WE paying $100 less on rent a week for a much bigger house then we had in Auckland O0 Buying is also so much cheaper. Auckland prices start around $350 000 and here around $200 O0

As for the weather, well the winters are cold, but the summers can get nice and warm, high 20's. When we came down for hubby's interview(in april) it was gorgeous and for us NO HUMIDITY :clap:

It's also very much a country type town, 5 min in any direction out of the city and you're in the country. We actually live just north of the city, in a counttry town called Rangiora. O0

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 09:20:21 am »
Whew - that's quite a plunge!  Not sure where you're going, but if you're in this valley do let me know and we can get together.  Of course, if you're going to the North Shore you can just bugger off... ;D  Seriously, good luck.  Shout if there's something we can do to help from here.

Ja, scary and exciting the same time. We'll have to see were the jobs take us. For now we are not going to be very fussy. Just need to get the hell away from here. Will get in touch with you via this site once there and knowing which direction we are going to take.

Ha-ha-ha Nolan,  from Sunday only water and fish until mid June!!!

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2007, 09:23:04 am »
Welcome Eileen :clap:

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2007, 10:13:37 am »
Thanks Happy.

Hopefully we'll be in your town for the Tri-Nations rugby!

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2007, 10:13:37 am »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2007, 11:20:44 am »
That would be good O0

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2007, 02:30:37 pm »
Welcome Eileen! 
Nolan, next meetup, please take some Couples shots of each couple so we can identify them properly, and no more bum-shots, ok?  ;D

lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2007, 02:54:38 pm »
 :2funny:

will do

:2funny:

Badprop

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2007, 06:18:27 am »
Welcome Eileen :clap:

Offline Shirls

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2007, 08:29:57 am »
Hi all

We are Paul and Shirley, from Hillcrest and still suffering from jet lag! I just had to brag! We have no kids yet, and won't have until we are in NZ... we want them to be Kiwis from their first breath!
Paul is a bike mechanic by trade, but currently owns his own business manufacturing wooden furniture, I am a PA to a financial adviser in Kloof.
We have just returned from our LSD, and looks like it is all systems go! We loved the Hamilton area, Auckland was just too expensive, and there would be more work for Paul in the farm lands! Lake Taupo was stunning as well, butthen again the whole country is!

Brad how on earth do you cope with the stench there? I wanted to be sick!!

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2007, 08:29:57 am »

brad77

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2007, 10:40:25 am »
You only smell the sulphur downtown, and only when the wind blow a certain way. To be honest you dont notice it at all when you live here.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2007, 09:51:14 pm »
Brad, that sounds like Sasolburg.

brad77

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2007, 02:27:42 am »
no, this is not Sasolburg. It is a beautiful town on the banks of Lake Rotorua, surrounded by green rolling hills and farmland with about 30 lakes and lots of forests to hike in. The smell is barely noticeable and most people who live here agree.