Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Taking cash out of SA  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
Taking cash out of SA
« on: February 10, 2011, 01:17:41 pm »
Assuming one has anything left after the emigration proccedure, can one take cash (bank notes) out of SA?  I am not talking huge amounts, but as I have never been asked in the past how much cash I had on me when going overseas,  I was just wondering?? I know there is a limit on how much cash one can bring into NZ, but taking out of SA?? :help:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
Re: Taking cash out of SA
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:50:53 am »
Not sure about a limit on cash when leaving SA, but we took $1000 cash and a big chunk in travellers cheques.  The rest we transferred to our bank in ANZ.  There was no hold or any problems with the travellers cheques when we deposited them at ANZ.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:50:53 am »

Offline marle

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:21:57 am »
If residency is approved in NZ then you can take all your money out of SA without any penalties – transfer from SA bank to NZ bank. :clap:  However if you are only travelling then the limit is R 1, 000, 000 per annum for an adult and R 200, 000 per child. :)

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:15:09 am »

Assuming one has anything left after the emigration proccedure, can one take cash (bank notes) out of SA?  I am not talking huge amounts, but as I have never been asked in the past how much cash I had on me when going overseas,  I was just wondering?? I know there is a limit on how much cash one can bring into NZ, but taking out of SA?? :help:

Thanks for the replies, but I don't think I explained myself very well, as usual. :confused: What I meant was actual SA cash, i.e. bank notes.  I have heard you can take R5000, also heard you can take R10,000 - don't know.  I have never had my bags checked when I have previously left SA.  Don't want to get stopped before I even leave. :idiot2: :help:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 09:52:47 pm »
Like I said, not sure, but we took $1000 in cash which is a bit more than R5000 and we were not even asked on either end if we had any cash on us.

Offline Hopeful

• Auckland, NZ
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:22:40 pm »
On the plane you have to fill in the MAF and customs forms and they definitely ask you if you have over a certain amount of cash on you. Can't remember how much it was though. Maybe check the customs website.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 07:02:22 pm »
If I remember correctly nobody in SA asked anything but on the plane the little paper that you fill in is for $10 000 or more on you(as a person). If it's less they don't bother to much. Just go to your SA bank and change the rands into dollars beforehand because it's easier to arrive with the right currency than with pieces of paper that means nothing until you've been to a NZ bank to do the exchange. Just remember to go to the bank about 2 weeks + in advance to request the money, because they need to get the NZ $'s because they don't keep it in their branches in SA. They should with the rate that we leave the country with...  ::)
Hope this helps. Cheers, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 07:02:22 pm »

Offline rodders

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 08:17:46 am »
Just remember - you can take as much as you like in cash - BUT YOU MUST DECLARE IT if it is over $10k.

If you don't they can fine you or confiscate it.

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 05:07:51 am »
Just a tip from me:

If you use your Travel Allowance of R1mil and you use your travel itinerary, just remember that you itinerary expires for the purpose of a travel allowance on 31 Dec of the year in which you travelled, to give an example this happened to us:

We left SA in August 2010 and our registration of our house has not gone through yet. The money was paid into our account on 19 Dec 2010 when the house got registered and we had to transfer these funds to NZ before 31 Dec 2010. If we wanted to transfer the money in 2011 we had to have tax clearance and had to officially immigrate.

sorry Gypsy mom highjacked your post a bit.