Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Any teachers out there ? Help !!  (Read 1497 times)

Offline usnels

Any teachers out there ? Help !!
« on: February 13, 2011, 09:08:20 pm »
Hi all

My hubby just started teaching at a decile 1 intermediate school in Otara. The school is 99% Pasifika. The kids are horrible !!! They are rude, have no work ethic and are so insolent - it would be amazing if it wasn't so AWFUL. My poor hubby is missing SA kids, who at least will get on with some work, and will respond to demerits, detention, pretty stickers and sweeties. These kids don't give a hoot, and the discipline system is so icky sweet-touchy feely-don't hurt a kid's feelings....no respect or self-discipline expected or enforced.....Hubby was called in the other day coz he raised his voice at a kid.....Also, the level of aggression is high, but the kids are WUSSIE cry babies !!!

I need to know - are all NZ kids as bad, or is this a cultural thing ? Also, if he changes jobs now (to another school), while we are busy with our ITA, will it count against us ? Also, if I get a job and he stays at home, will that effect the ITA ??

We love NZ so far, but if all kids are like this, we will seriously consider changing professions or even (last resort) going back to SA. It's not worth the unhappiness and stress....we came to get away from that.
EOI submitted   30-11-2010
Arrived cowboy style     27-12-2010
Job offer   21-01-2011
EOI selected   26-01-2011
ITA issued    31-03-2011
ITA submitted    19-04-2011

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
Re: Any teachers out there ? Help !!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 11:29:59 pm »
Decile 1 must be the worst to teach in NZ. You cannot go lower than that!  Don't give up on NZ because of them. 

I cannot really answer your other questions as we cannot give Immigration advise on this forum.

Just don't let the schooling put you off!! 

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 11:29:59 pm »

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:32:06 am »
Agree with MandyH - the kids are DEFINATELY NOT all that bad.  I think the decile rating will probably reflect alot about the type of kid you'll find there - although by no means a reflection of all the kids there.

We can't answer any of your questions however I can say that a couple of people that I know changed jobs during their immigration process and they didn't have any adverse effect.  I do suggest, however, that you contact your case officer and ask these questions - they will be able to answer them for you and provide the right advice.  Failing that, make an appointment with an immigration consultant (I know of a good one in Botany) and seek some advice on your options.

Good luck!  If anything, I'll offer encouragement to hang in there and wait until you can change jobs.  Its just not worth going back.

Cheers
Susan
07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!

Offline usnels

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 07:33:15 am »
Hi All
My bad !! :blush: Didn't mean to ask for immigration advice - was just ranting and stressing !!! Sorry Nolan !
Tish
EOI submitted   30-11-2010
Arrived cowboy style     27-12-2010
Job offer   21-01-2011
EOI selected   26-01-2011
ITA issued    31-03-2011
ITA submitted    19-04-2011

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 08:13:20 am »
 :)  we're just being cautious.  would hate the "addiction" to be closed done.

How would we survive  ;D

Offline Awa

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 07:58:13 am »
The answer to your question is  a definite NO - not all kids in NZ are like this.   However I do agree that they can sometimes moddy coddle the kids too much.  There is way too much understanding and excuses for bad behaviour.  I work in this type of industry so I know.  I fully understand that a lot of these kids have had terrible examples in their parents and some have really really gotten a raw deal.  Yes some of them need therapy and others just need some decent parents.   However the longer the schools put up with this bad behaviour the worse it's going to get.  I believe things are starting to change though as I can see some trends within the youth court that is recognizing this very fact.  The majority of kiwi kids that I've met (and I've met a lot) have been nice and well mannered.  Good luck and I hope that should your OH not be able change jobs at this stage that he would find the strength to stick it out there. :gl:
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011