Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Getting to know your Kiwi neighbours.....  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Getting to know your Kiwi neighbours.....
« on: February 21, 2011, 11:18:42 pm »
Well we have been in Welcome Bay for 2 months now - in our little rental. Yes, guilty, I do complain
of the lack of privacy as some of the houses are so 'on top of one another' BUT - after a short time
here - have been approached by neighbours and greeted more than in OZ and even SA!!!

Behind us lives a little Kiwi girl named Brit - my daughter and her are as 'thick as thieves' same school, same year, same age....rides the school bus together in the am and pm....they have even erected a ladder so they can climb over the fence.....to each others yards.... :o This is the childhood I remember - socializing with other kids the same age - walking to school and interacting with your peers - and the upside here, it is so safe..... :clap: Such an amazing sight to see all the kiddes in the neighbourhood walking to the bus stop together.

Other neighbours - are 3 youngsters sharing a house - all age 20/21 AND band members!! :D But these guys still shout a 'HI' and 'Hows it going' over the fence and chat to hubs when he is having a ciggie outside over the fence..... O0 fantastic bunch of youngsters - yes, they play drums/guitars in the 'padded' garage - but by 8pm all is quite again, and the barbie gets fired up - so they are still respectful!

So all in all - we cannot  complain -we are blessed to have stunning Kiwi neighbours.... :smitten:

Anyone else with stunning, freindly neighbours......OR neighbours from hell..... :heeha:

x

~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline Mongrel Mobster

Re: Getting to know your Kiwi neighbours.....
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:49:56 pm »
 O0
Kind regards,

Edwin

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:49:56 pm »

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:20:54 am »
We have very quiet neighbours I must admit, although friendly without being intrusive.  We're in a cul-de-sac and the lady across from us loans us her mower and gardening stuff  O0  On the other side of us is a UK couple (been here 6 years) with 2 boys aged 12 and 10 - also really nice and he's a cop, so we feel even safer than ever  :)  He saw OH trying to assemble the new bikes we bought for the kids without tools last weekend and came over to help armed with spanners etc  :clap:  All the neighbours came out to see DD ride a bike for the very first time - she looked so cute what with pink helmet and all.  After 20 minutes she was riding like a pro - albeit with balance wheels of course :) Now I think I need to get one to keep up with her - walking alongside is not going to cut it anymore  :2funny:

Offline maanhaarleeu

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 05:26:50 am »
Now why would I want to do that?
Then all they do is complain all day and take off their shoes first door they get for you to smell their feet.
Then they would hate me once they get to know me in any case.
Not worth the trouble.
Auckland NZ, Howick

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 06:30:49 am »
Now why would I want to do that?
Then all they do is complain all day and take off their shoes first door they get for you to smell their feet.
Then they would hate me once they get to know me in any case.
Not worth the trouble.
:confused: huh?

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 06:43:04 am »
My thoughts exactly!! Huh???? 

You come to a country that's allowed you to live in it and you have a comment like that!! I was also shocked when I read it.

Offline maanhaarleeu

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 07:11:33 am »
Sorry mandyh, not ungrateful at all, just being sarcastic.

We really do have nice neighbors.
Auckland NZ, Howick

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 07:11:33 am »

Offline Awa

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 09:31:24 am »
We have no neighbours!!  Ha-ha.  No seriously, they are about 4 houses down on each side.  Have no one behind us but paddocks and grazing land.  Opposite the road we have one neighbour who we very seldom see and we cannot see their house from ours unless we walk to the very edge of the garden.  Never-the-less when we first moved in here both the neighbours from the left and across the road came to introduce themselves and have a chat.  Now we just sort of wave and shout hello whenever we see each other coming in and out of the driveway.
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 08:22:06 am »
Well, it took the Feb earthquake for my neighbours to get to know us.  The people in our right-of-way held a support each other bbq.  The neighbour in front of me who has been really nasty to us since Sept, didn't want to join in because we were there.  She proved to everyone that she is the one with the problem because when she finally did my DH and I were so nice to her and her family, who had to stay with her for a few weeks, that she didn't know what to do.  As she was leaving I told her that if she wants someone to talk to when her daughter goes home she could come over.  She turned round and said: "What's your name again?"  I was  :2funny: my head off because I know her name and I used it.  Since that day she has at least smiled and waved when she sees us.

Offline usnels

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 08:31:34 am »
We travelled the 20000km to get to NZ, and my 2 closest neighbours are SAFFIES - go figure !!

However, the old biddies who live around are wonderful - quick to help, offer advice and answer questions.  My across the road biddy says to me, on the first day, that I mustn't let my kids go the park by themselves (I'm new in NZ, still operating in an SA mindset - as if my kids were going anywhere !!) because, and I quote, "It's dangerous". Answers I in shock "How so ?" Says she "Teenagers you don't know might speak to them". I go home and laugh myself silly  :2funny: :2funny:. Still, she's an awesome old bird.

EOI submitted   30-11-2010
Arrived cowboy style     27-12-2010
Job offer   21-01-2011
EOI selected   26-01-2011
ITA issued    31-03-2011
ITA submitted    19-04-2011

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 12:48:01 pm »
We have lovely neighbours on the one side - have a pool and sometimes let the kids swim there.  When we were on our SI trip, she came over and fed our kitty.  She was so impressed with our cat's health, that she took note what we were feeding her, and promptly went and bought the same for her kitty!

I finally got to meeting the neighbour across the road (she works and I hardly see her), when a water pipe burst in their front yard, and I went over to check whether they had water in the house, or if they needed tocome over to shower or something.  We had a good chat, and I found out she's a single mum with 2 grown boys, and now lets some rooms out to exchange students (Japanese).  Slowly but surely I'm meeting them, but this neighbourhood is a pretty much "keep-to-themselves" area.  I'm thinking of changing that with a BBQ sometime when Jan finally decides to buy one..  ::)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Awa

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:20 am »
Talking about feeding kitties - we live outside Rototuna and I need someone to feed and give our kitty a cuddle during the December holidays.   Anyone know a good Cattery or someone in the area that won't mind taking a drive every second day to give a cuddle, smooch and some food to our little Mew?  I don't know dates yet.    Oh dear going off topic here... ::)
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:20 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 10:50:45 am »
well, then, getting back onto topic, have you met your neighbours yet, Jackie?  You have sufficient time to get to know them till then, and perhaps then one of them will be willing to do that for you.  My neighbour took care of mine, and she was really good!  And therefore didn't cost us anything!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen