Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Water truck just tried to wipe out OH  (Read 5261 times)

Offline cyclewife

• Let the roller coaster ride begin
Water truck just tried to wipe out OH
« on: March 17, 2011, 10:39:33 am »
 :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
Ticked off is an understatement.
I am so fuming mad right now - i could assault somebody.  :knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2:
DH went out for a ride (cycle) and a water truck working on the Gautrain turned right infront of him forcing him to go off road.
So DH shouted at him to watch where he is going...
Now normally - when something like this happens & the driver apologizes with just a wave & gesture of "Oops - sorry" - that defuses the situation... but not this dumb FFFFFFFFF*&^%$#@$%&
Bicycles do tend to go faster than heavy trucks... so when DH passed him - now sweat for this driver..why not just take this cyclist out completely and TRIED TO RUN HIM DOWN...  :eek:
DH went into the bushes - & then started to chase after the truck...you can only imagine how MAD he was by then.
Chased him to where they fill up with water - truck did a U turn at the dead end - and low & behold - went for DH AGAIN.  :tickedoff:
Can you freaking believe the audacity of the B*******d
I have never in my life seen DH so angry... don't even want to know what his heart rate was doing.. will see when we download his heart rate file from the Garmin.
Well - I'm not leaving it there...no freaking way. Got into my car and went to throw my toys completely out the cot at the Bombela site office... found out what company it was... DH said yellow truck with MOS???? - didn't get registration number of the truck - but have the TRUCK NUMBER...
Gave management hell - and will be off to police station to open a case against that driver - whatever there is in the book to throw at him - we will... attempted murder/attempt to do grievious bodily harm/reckless & negligent driving..whatever!!! But no way can i leave this be.  Cause this B******d will end up doing it again - and this time the cyclist/pedestrian might not come off without injury.  Thank goodness DH has plenty years experience on a bicycle & could react quickly.
DH just said - WE ARE LEAVING!!! doesn't care where we go but he hates these drivers & this place.  :eek:
i have not see in so angry in 20 years...

Ok - now I feel better..  :whistle: hitting this keyboard here in frustration... - breathe.....

So how's that for a "non headline" SA News story....
Medicals Done - 31 Aug 2011
LTBV app sent - 16 Sept 2011
LTBV approved - 10 Feb 2012
Passports sent - 10 Feb 2012
Passports received with visa - 20 Feb 2012
House sold - 25 Feb 2012
Attorney instructed - 08 March 2012

Offline Chan in Wellington

Re: Water truck just tried to wipe out OH
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 12:19:30 pm »
Ah shame Cyclewife...after all you have already been through!!  Trucks have no respect for cyclists at all - in the Howick (KZN Midlands) area, we had a cyclist killed during a triathlon race..can you believe that?  Well I have just come back from being in the trade with one of our account managers and we did the centre  :death:of PMB town.  I have just sent an e-mail to my OH saying that if I ever had my doubts about leaving, I don't anymore.  Negative forums won't even change my mind! 
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 12:19:30 pm »

Offline cyclewife

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 04:15:02 pm »
Part two:

Just got back from police station – they can’t open a case without the driver’s NAME!!! Our SAPS is not linked to MV registration – so even if we had a registration number – that won’t help either… HELLO – it’s a company truck you idiots!!!!!!!!!!! :idiot2:
What a bunch of freaking a holes… eventually found a "familiar" face to help us.. same story though.. said its pointless to open a file without a person’s name – the detectives would just throw it out anyway – TOO FREAKING LAZY TO DO INVESTIGATIVE WORK… YOU as the victim must investigate..  :tickedoff:

So I phoned the manager I’d spoken to earlier in the day – I can call him again tomorrow & will give me the guy’s full name & even an ID number. Said we’re doing the right thing – he is sick & tired of these truck drivers that do as they please. If he as management had to approach the driver – they’d just deny it anyway…but if there is a formal police case – THEN they can take disciplinary action against him.  AGAIN – just shows how our “society” works… All too darn scared to take on ppl that do wrong – worried about the consequences…NOBODY is ever prepared to stand up & say YOU’VE DONE WRONG so get punished for your wrongful actions.  No wonder our crime stats are where they are…  :cursing:

While we were waiting – a woman walked in with her young girl – probably about 9 years old – and she was waiting to be “served”. Another cop walked in with someone they had arrested for drugs – and the warrant officer says to him…. OOOH so you caught the F’ers… I could see the woman cringe.  I had to truly bite my tongue not to burst out & tell him what I thought of that behaviour infront of a CHILD.

Besides that – on the table where we were sitting waiting to be attended to… (silly wench that was supposed to help us had no idea what to do with us so had gone off to find someone a tad more intelligent) – right there in full view & full access to anyone – a few ID books… how can you leave people’s ID books lying around like that.  :faint:

Oh and I could also very quickly become a commission of oath… whole bunch of stamps just lying there too – completely unattended. And then the public want to know how the former Land Bank CEO could get away with being put in high government positions with fraudulent qualifications… Come ON!!!... (He didn’t even pass matric in 1974 just BTW.)

Ok – that’s my rant for the day… :fight:
House sold - 25 Feb 2012

Offline cyclewife

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 04:22:37 pm »
here's pic of those ID docs just lying there....for anyone to take...
House sold - 25 Feb 2012

Offline Rover

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 04:46:08 pm »
Oh and I could also very quickly become a commission of oath… whole bunch of stamps just lying there too – completely unattended.

Now I understand why so many international agencies don't allow documents to be certified by the SAPS anymore.
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.
May we not live in Interesting Times.
I need a place to lay down, a place where I feel like I still exist. - Asp

Offline cyclewife

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 05:05:21 pm »
"Now I understand why so many international agencies don't allow documents to be certified by the SAPS anymore."

EXACTLY! And we can't blame them for being EXTRA careful with any docs coming out of SA.
Darn - I could have made myself a whole wad of cash ..in hindsight... could have charged to certify docs & paid for my full medicals out of the pure profit i'd be making..  :idiot2: why didn't i think of that before.  ::)

But ahhhhh...  :nono: just because you can't beat them - doesn't mean you have to join them.
House sold - 25 Feb 2012

Offline maanhaarleeu

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 09:57:59 pm »
A sad state of affairs indeed cyclewife. 
No consideration for other people, in situations like that unfortunately the
MUCH less protected cyclist always loses especially in an accident.
Drivers just don't realize how vulnerable cyclists really are.

That is exactly the reason why I started mountain biking in SA so I can get off the road.
We went splendid places like Sabie/Knysna/Magoebaskloof just to name a few and saw places in
the bush on our mtbs few other people see and you don't have to content with
cars and smoke and the mentality of some drivers and ...

Unfortunately it looks all more common that mountain bikers also gets robbed in the bush.
I think I read something about Nick Bester's mountain bike that got stolen the other day.

But given the comparison between on-road and off-road I'll take my chances any day off the road.

I even heard of rock climbers that got robbed the other day next to Brits.
Argh, you just can't win...
Auckland NZ, Howick

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 09:57:59 pm »

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 11:16:43 pm »
There's an awesome rock climbing Mecca just outside Waterval Boven that we used to go climbing at.  However we stopped going there because there was a gang from the local township that had held up climbers (some while climbers were ON THE ROCK!!) regularly.  Even if you didn't take anything with you, they'd still hold you up and see what you had, besides climbing gear.  A great pity because many, MANY foreign climbers stopped going to the area because of it.

Sorry about your experience Cyclewife,  Hope the b*****d gets the book thrown at him.
07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!

Offline usnels

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 06:00:33 am »
Hi All

It's pretty typical behaviour. We got the good (?) end of it just before we left though.

OH got hit by a LOADED taxi shooting a red, which practically cut his car in half. Naughty OH and taxi driver didn't have licences, and police just turned a blind eye. They also protected us from taxi driver who climbed out and klapped OH. Cop was very kind and friendly, and said they won't do anything (like arrest OH) coz it's just not worth the paperwork when nothing will be done anyway. Cop said we would lose the car, and tough for us, but hey, at least OH is alive and not in jail.

EOI submitted   30-11-2010
Arrived cowboy style     27-12-2010
Job offer   21-01-2011
EOI selected   26-01-2011
ITA issued    31-03-2011
ITA submitted    19-04-2011

Offline cyclewife

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 08:31:19 am »
"Unfortunately it looks all more common that mountain bikers also gets robbed in the bush.
I think I read something about Nick Bester's mountain bike that got stolen the other day."

Yip Nic got hi-jacked & if i remember correctly - they assaulted him too.
It's madness I tell you.... I'm the founding member, together with Nic White, of the Right2Ride campaign. We're trying to get cyclists to change their minds set as well cause there are many that do not obey the rules of the road. You can check us out at www.right2ride.co.za

This year alone we have had fatalities - Ken Brown (hit & run in Durban while there on holiday), Carla Swart (TOP lady who was to join HTC this year - hit by truck ...here it wasn't the truck driver's fault though) Brett Lawer (hit from behind while stopped at red robot in Pretoria - taxi was fleeing another accident - hit him right into the traffic)  Michael Ramsay (14) ( hit by a truck) Tony Amos (a truck rode right over him....and then the trailer.... East London)
And thats just to name the ones we KNOW - there have been others... SICK isn't it.

Just yesterday one of Ergosport Models was out in CT riding her horse... they guy jumped out the bush - grabbed the horse's reins and pulled her off... took cell phone... thank goodness that was all - she is ok.  :tickedoff:

usnels - glad OH was ok SusanJ - we're going to throw it at him.. not leaving it & thanks for sharing & caring

Not one day goes by without SOMETHING happening to SOMEONE...and it gets closer to home

House sold - 25 Feb 2012

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 09:23:15 am »
 >:( so awful...all those deaths!!  A friend of ours who lives in JHB, has actually given up his sport of cycling, as he has been 'hi-jacked' twice off his bike and the last time he suffered serious injuries.  I know every country has its problems, but perhaps sometimes people living in NZ and the likes take for granted that they can safely walk/run/cycle freely in and around their neighbourhoods. 

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 11:02:59 am »
And on the contrary, here in NZ, cyclists in some places have their own lanes.  It was amazing to see how many people from all over, would travel through NZ on bike.  It was quite hair-raising in some areas, where the road was very narrow, and you have to "koes" for the cyclist, while trying not to hit on-coming traffic.  Laws here are also that the motorist has to watch out for them, and give them 1.5 metres space.

Here's a typical image (NOT OURS), of what you could find along the road. 
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 11:02:59 am »

Offline till23

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 10:55:18 pm »
I am a cyclist myself( casual/recreational/no lycra ) and cannot believe that some people on this forum try to promote NZ as a safe cycling environment. There is no cycling culture here and a resultant disrespect for road users not in cars ( agree that a minority of cyclist are also to blame for this ). For the size and population of a so-called first world country the situation is rightly described as carnage. There was period towards the end of last year when 7 cyclist were killed within a week! The following may provide a more realistic view regarding cycling in NZ:

The cyclist killed on Tamaki Drive, Auckland yesterday afternoon has just been named as 27 year old British citizen Jane Mary Bishop. She died when she was hit by a truck whilst cycling along Auckland's waterfront outside of Kelly Tarlton's.

Her death came hours after three cyclists, travelling in a group of ten, were killed by a car in the Waikato that crossed the centre line whilst taking a corner. Mark Andrew Ferguson, 46, and Wilhelm Muller, 71, died at the scene and Kay Heather Wolfe, 45,  died this morning.

Patricia Anne Veronica Fraser, 34,  who was killed in the Manawatu while training for the Lake Taupo cycle race.

12 year old Jacqueline Wyatt, a pupil at Riverlands School, whom was run over by a truck this morning as she cycled to school on Main Street, Blenheim. She is critically ill in hospital.

The road where Jane Mary Bishop lost her life was also the scene of the infamous ‘Tamaki Drive Carnage".

A female student lost her licence for 6 months and was ordered to pay $1,000 to each of her victims after she ploughed into a pack of cyclists travelling along Tamaki Drive. The cyclists, one of whom suffered long term brain injuries and may never be able to work again, said that the sentence handed out was far too lenient.

A report in today's NZ Herald said

Ellerslie man John McLaren was also involved in a crash on Tamaki Drive last week.
    He was in shock and suffering from a broken shoulder blade and collarbone when the motorist who forced him off the road confronted him with an angry lecture. Ms Bishop's death on the same stretch of road had him counting his blessings his accident was not worse.
    "It's a sad event. All our thoughts should be with the family of the deceased."
    He called for increased tolerance and awareness from motorists in the wake of the cyclist deaths. "The woman that died yesterday - if that person who opened their car door had just looked around things could have been different. If the guy had waited just 10 seconds for me to go over the bridge, everything would have been fine.
    "It's awareness. That one bit of impatience could mean someone getting hurt or killed."

Lacks of awareness, education, consideration, understanding and/or substance abuse are common themes in these incidents. New Zealand, quite simply, isn't as safe as you'd like to think it is, cyclists risk their lives every time they venture onto a road.

Stephan Stoermer, a German tourist, had been on a cycling world tour since 2006, he had been safely winding his way through 26 countries in Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Australia since early 2006 before arriving in New Zealand. He died a week before his tour was scheduled to end when he was hit by a logging truck near Te Puke in the Bay of Plenty on March 12, 2009. The driver fell asleep behind the wheel.

Jenns Richardon had been living in NZ for a few years was killed by a hit and run driver. His body was eventually discovered by a passing motorist. The killer pleaded guilty to  driving under the influence of alcohol causing death and failing to stop for an injury accident. He had drunk around 10 pints of beer at a bar in Rolleston from around 2.30pm that day. He told police he knew he had hit a cyclist but panicked because he had been drinking. The judge took pity on him a gave him a sentence of home detention.

Frank van Kampen was killed by drunk driver, 71 year old Alison Downer, who received  a lenient two year sentence for her 4th conviction after she hit and killed Frank as he was cycling along State Highway 1 in Te Horo.  Mr van Kampen’s partner wept through the hearing at Palmerston North District Court and said that she was disgusted by the sentence. Can you believe that Downer’s defence lawyer was alleged to have told the judge that “this was not the worst type of offending because there was only one victim.”

Graham Robinson, a North Shore doctor, was struck and killed whilst cycling outside of Helensville. The driver of a white Toyota Hillux sped off after hitting him and police have yet to track him down, despite having an excellent description of the vehicle.

Pia Pusch, a 19 year old German tourist, also died when hit by a logging truck as she cycled through New Zealand, she had previously blogged about the aggressive and intimidating driving habits of truck drivers. The driver pleaded guilty and was asked to pay $5,000 to her family.
Mia’s death sparked calls for mandatory minimum passing distances for vehicles overtaking cyclists – from between 1 to 1.5 metres, but all of them have been ignored.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:04:07 pm by till23 »

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 06:11:28 am »
Thanks for the honest description of what goes on in NZ between trucks vs cyclists...SA not the only country with inconsiderate drivers then!!

Offline thombatt

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 09:06:46 am »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:58:20 pm by thombatt »