Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Best way forward  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Siouxzee

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 141
Best way forward
« on: March 27, 2011, 04:43:46 pm »
Hi Everyone

Hubby has a job in NZ starting on 9 May. Problem is we have not sold our house (there is an offer but subject to the sale of their house they have till 1 Aug).
Originally I was going to stay with the boys and wait till the house is sold etc
The more I think about it the more I wonder what would be the best approach.
If I stay I am here alone travelling 40mins to work everyday with to boys under 2, working full day and then staying alone in the house with them. My mom is currently in Singapore on a long term work contract and my in laws are moving to Stellenbosch.
We need my salary here to help pay for the house etc until it is sold.
I was not going to work at least for the first few months in NZ.
Now I am thinking hubby is going to have to pay rent there, maybe we should rather try rent our house short term and if the offer falls through in August then long term. The boys and I should rather follow him over say 2weeks or so after he goes. I would then get a full time job as what difference would it make if I was working full time here or there at least there we would be together.
Also we would have to pay in on the house even if we rented out but I figure rather pay in the small amount than a full bond and full rent there. Plus if I stay here there is internet, lights, water etc to pay on both sides.
What are thoughts/experiences. How has everyone else done it?  :help:  :confused:
EOI Submission - December 2010
EOI Selected - December 2010
ITA Received - December 2010
Awaiting Police Clearance
ITA Submitted - 03 March 2011
PR Interview - 15 March 2011
PR Approved - 18 March 2011
Passports sent and then received back - 30 March 2011
Arrive in NZ - 19 June 2011

Offline cyclewife

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
  • Let the roller coaster ride begin
Re: Best way forward
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:17:07 pm »
Hi there
Geez.. given purchaser till Aug to sell..way too long in my opinion.
Did your agent not put in an escape clause..."should seller receive an offer equal to or higher than current offer - purchaser has 14 days to meet suspensive conditions" - that way if you receive another offer & the current purchaser doesn't sell their house or come up with another plan - that offer is null & void & you can accept another offer.
An agent should NEVER tie in a seller for such a long period of time...that is just not ethical in my book.
Check your OTP (offer to purchase) - its irresponsible of an agent not to put it in.
When a sale is "subject to the sale" of another property - you should be able to continue marketing it - a cash buyer or buyer that only needs a bond could come along.
Medicals Done - 31 Aug 2011
LTBV app sent - 16 Sept 2011
LTBV approved - 10 Feb 2012
Passports sent - 10 Feb 2012
Passports received with visa - 20 Feb 2012
House sold - 25 Feb 2012
Attorney instructed - 08 March 2012

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

Re: Best way forward
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:17:07 pm »

Offline SA3001

  • Certified Addict
  • ******
  • Posts: 1506
Re: Best way forward
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:45:27 pm »
We had the exact same dilemma - after much agonising, we decided to all come together as a family and have rented our house out on a year's lease.  Will see what we decide later on in the year, but think we won't sell this year - maybe late next year.  OH was not happy about me staying behind with the kids on my own.  And guess what - 3 months after we got here there were 2 burglaries and a shoot out between them and the police in our complex  :o I am so glad I wasn't there.  OH would have freaked out and I would have been put on the next plane anyway - after dropping the keys off at the bank  :2funny: :2funny:   

Offline Siouxzee

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 141
Re: Best way forward
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 07:57:07 am »
Hi Cyclewife
There is an escape clause if a more onerous offer comes along :)
The reason we gave so long is because it is dependant on the sale of their house and they are using the proceeds of the sale of their house to pay transfer fees and bond costs. If we had given them till say 1 June it would have meant they would have had to have sold their house within 1 wk of signing the agreement. So essentially if their house is not sold by June they will need to come up with some other means else they wont have all the cash to complete the deal by 1 August.
My concern is if the more onerous offer does not come along :( As the market is still not great.
Sue
EOI Submission - December 2010
EOI Selected - December 2010
ITA Received - December 2010
Awaiting Police Clearance
ITA Submitted - 03 March 2011
PR Interview - 15 March 2011
PR Approved - 18 March 2011
Passports sent and then received back - 30 March 2011
Arrive in NZ - 19 June 2011

Offline cyclewife

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
  • Let the roller coaster ride begin
Re: Best way forward
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 04:23:53 pm »
Hi Sue
Where is your property situated?  I have one of my clients who is an agent - very on the ball. Gave her 3 friends properties to sell - the one she sold within a week with a cash buyer - the other within a month.
You can visit her website at www.outtheboxrealty.co.za
Wendy Graham is her name  ;)
Medicals Done - 31 Aug 2011
LTBV app sent - 16 Sept 2011
LTBV approved - 10 Feb 2012
Passports sent - 10 Feb 2012
Passports received with visa - 20 Feb 2012
House sold - 25 Feb 2012
Attorney instructed - 08 March 2012

Offline Siouxzee

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 141
Re: Best way forward
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:53:43 am »
Thank you, I will be sending her an email as I see she does have some properties advertised in KZN.  :D
EOI Submission - December 2010
EOI Selected - December 2010
ITA Received - December 2010
Awaiting Police Clearance
ITA Submitted - 03 March 2011
PR Interview - 15 March 2011
PR Approved - 18 March 2011
Passports sent and then received back - 30 March 2011
Arrive in NZ - 19 June 2011

Offline Cleo23

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 27
Re: Best way forward
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 06:53:07 am »
Good luck with everything Siouxzee! We live in Gillitts and are currently waiting for PR to come through.
LSD/Holiday:   December 2009
EOI Lodged:    9 March 2010
EOI Selected: 10 March 2010
ITA Recd:       24 March 2010
ITA Lodged:   24 September 2010
CO Appointed: 29 October 2010

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

Re: Best way forward
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 06:53:07 am »

Offline glynty

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 62
Re: Best way forward
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 07:26:18 pm »
mmmm :idiot2: I was thinking what I should do, finding myself in my current situation.  I have applied for both PR and a work visa. Got a super job waiting for me in Hamilton, (WINTEC) do not know for how long though.  I put house on the market , it was sold in three weeks. ;D Resigned from work as I needed to give three months notice. Sold car. Was in the process of getting quotes for plane tickets...(did not buy) as passports are with immigration awaiting our visa. Organised removals to pick up stuff for a group container for Monday. THEN yesterday get an email from CO I need to get a report from a nephrologist with a prognosis indicating if I am near final stage renal failure. Now I know that when medical was done in Jan I had food poisoning which led to a urinary infection.  Panel doctor was aware of this. But made no mention of it in medical submission.  Now knowing that this could be a delay of another three weeks (report-CO-MA-CO) as I have just done a retest for BMI.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?  No news regarding wp as they claim they are waiting for my medical clearance, asked could I not then get a wp for less than 12 months as this only requires a x-ray. No reply!

Should I then cancel pick-up of stuff until I know about pr (bearing in mind I have no where to go)?

Should I travel to NZ on holiday and redo medicals there and apply for a longer visa?

HAS SOMEONE BEEN IN A SIMILAR POSITION? WHAT DID YOU DO OR what would you do? :o

I will have a  :coffee: an ponder this abit more hoping someone out there can give light on this  :uglystupid2:

Offline SA3001

  • Certified Addict
  • ******
  • Posts: 1506
Re: Best way forward
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 11:05:29 pm »
This is just my opinion and what I would do.  Carry on with your plans as normal if you know you are healthy and so you will pass your medical in the end.  It's just going to delay things a bit.  Can you stay with family or friends until you are ready to leave?  If you haven't heard back from your CO - phone the INZ call centre.  Keep your employer informed of the delay if you aren't sorted by mid April.  Down play it, but also tell them that it will help for them to also send a letter to your CO explaining that they need you to start on 2May.   :gl:

Offline glynty

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 62
Re: Best way forward
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 03:49:05 am »
 ;)Thank you SA3001. Now that the shock is over, i am able to think abit more clearly.  Yep agree with you 100% to carry on with plans, believing that it will all come together in the end.

Thanks to all on the forum it has really been a help and an awesome sound board, seeing how others deal with things you are going through.Learning from them, it really helps to have GREAT "family" members online to "listen" and aid. :) O0

Offline Siouxzee

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 141
Re: Best way forward
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 07:26:11 am »
Hi Glynty

I am sure everything will come together, let us know how it is going. I agree with SA3001 best thing to do is phone. We found that the best way to get answers or to just make sure of things.
We bought a world calling card and it was very cheap to phone.

Sue
EOI Submission - December 2010
EOI Selected - December 2010
ITA Received - December 2010
Awaiting Police Clearance
ITA Submitted - 03 March 2011
PR Interview - 15 March 2011
PR Approved - 18 March 2011
Passports sent and then received back - 30 March 2011
Arrive in NZ - 19 June 2011