Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Budget Budget Budget  (Read 7533 times)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Re: Budget Budget Budget
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 08:21:00 am »
I read somewhere on the public healthcare site that all basic dentistry for kids 18 and under is free.  What that means, I don’t know.  Assuming check- ups. 

I just enrolled our girls at the local dentistry programme.  Even though they are homeschooled, it still applies.  Wow, I was so impressed.  Since there has been a change, this was brand new with the most up to date equipment.  There were 6 dental nurses (I think they are just dentists ) and they were super professional and efficient.  And super friendly.  Girls had a complete check-up, everything noted into the computer, X-rays, and they have more appointments lined up.  They do cavities and everything.  No cost.

My youngest daughter, only 9, has a problem that they have referred to an orthodontist.  This we have to pay for.  We were given a later date but when I phoned back to plead with them for an earlier one, they did it for me.  The day after I had phoned, I had a package from them in the post.  Who they were, what they did, the costs, etc.  It was amazing.  So we knew exactly what to expect. 

The consultation, and records (they took Xrays and about 8 very detailed photos  of her mouth ) cost me $120.  I think it would have cost more in SA.  She has to get braces as a preventative measure to save her adult tooth (an overbite is starting to push her front adult tooth out ).  Not sure how much this will cost, but before we get there, they will have sent us the costs, and a consent form to sign.  They also say that if we need to , they can arrange a payment plan. 

I do know that any recall visits (where they check the braces, tighten , etc ) will only cost $25. 

Hope that helps some . 

Offline Snoozy

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 08:54:44 am »
Now that we've been back a bit after 3 years in NZ (back 3 months now), we can honestly say that SA is significantly cheaper. Yes, the car does cost here, but the property is cheaper. Eating out is way cheaper in SA, cooking at home is way cheaper, rent is WAY cheaper.

Bear in mind that NZ's cost of living is rather high, and salaries are rather low. It is however still a stunning country, and has many positives. Finances are just not one of them. Ask any immigrant from Europe about the cost of living in NZ compared to the "expensive" Europe, and you will hear similar stories.

As an aside - hope the Welly winter is not too harsh this year! Here in Pmb it's a stunner - the guys are complaining about the coldest winter in 8 / 9 years or even since 1994, but it ain't too bad if you ask me! Welly makes you tough:) Oh, and enjoy the excitement building up for the World Cup!! Will be awesome!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 08:54:44 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 01:08:15 pm »
Thanks for that info Snoozy!  Having been out of the country so long (13 yrs), I cannot compare anymore.  Your post gives up to date info.   And yes, it has been said before that coming to NZ is not what you do if you want to get rich.  If money is everything, then Dubai is a better option.  But lifestyle, to me, is worth all the effort. :)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline lappiesm

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 02:12:47 pm »
zatexnz - And yes, it has been said before, that coming to NZ is not what you do if you want to get rich.  If money is everything, then Dubai is a better option.

I fully agree. The materialism in SA is actually very scary to say the least. People are willing to live in a small apartment as long as they can just aford an expensive German brand vehicle. We tend to measure someones success by what they drive.. at least from my experience. The first 2 questions asked to someone you have not seen for some time generally will be. So what are you doing for a living and is then followed by what are you driving these days.? Your response will determine your status for that person or that group. Well that is at least what I have been experiencing quite a bit in the last couple of years... my 5c worth. :confused:
2011-09-02 EOI launched.
2011-09-07 EOI selected
2011-09-15 ITA Received
2011-10-17 ITA to London.
2011-11-23 PR approved.
2011-11-29 Passports received.
2012-01-17 Flights booked
2012-02-01 Start new job

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 08:35:06 pm »
For those checking the exchange rate....
I have...  it is shocking.

It is as bad as it was when i moved to NZ 3 years ago,not as bad but getting there fast

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=NZD&to=ZAR&view=1Y
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 08:47:45 pm »
Thanks for that info Snoozy!  Having been out of the country so long (13 yrs), I cannot compare anymore.  Your post gives up to date info.   And yes, it has been said before that coming to NZ is not what you do if you want to get rich.  If money is everything, then Dubai is a better option.  But lifestyle, to me, is worth all the effort. :)

So, so agree. Plentish of $$$ in Dubai, OZ etc......but hell, the lifestyle here in NZ is unreal. I might add, there are plenty of very wealthy SA here, just ask my hubby who books in their vehicles for services etc....... you will be very shocked! So, it depends what line of business you are in as well. A good few SA farmers here,  that are clients of hubby, who have the boat, a
 number of cars and go abroad at least every year.  :)

x

~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 09:51:59 pm »
Now that we've been back a bit after 3 years in NZ (back 3 months now), we can honestly say that SA is significantly cheaper. Yes, the car does cost here, but the property is cheaper. Eating out is way cheaper in SA, cooking at home is way cheaper, rent is WAY cheaper.

Have to agree, but personally, we find that having kids balances it out, mainly because we aren't paying heaps for school fees, fancy uniforms, medical aid and entertainment.  There's plenty for kids to do here that doesn't cost anything and we find that we can afford weekends away by going camping which we couldn't do safely in SA.  There are wealthy expats here for sure, but I'd say - on a whole - stay away if you have millionaire aspirations, winning the lotto excluded of course  :) 

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 09:51:59 pm »