Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Clothing suggestions  (Read 3785 times)

Offline mick

Clothing suggestions
« on: April 14, 2011, 07:50:11 pm »
I'm landing in May and waiting 4 months for my container... Other than the work clothes, what is recommended for NZ?
As Edgars type or Cape Union Mart type...
  • thermals?
  • raincoats?
  • cold weather kit?
  • boots?

I'll be in Auckland
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:36:20 pm by mick »

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
Re: Clothing suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:22:42 pm »
Depends entirely on where in NZ you'll be staying.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:22:42 pm »

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 12:08:30 am »
Agree with rockhopper - being from the ECape, I never owned a warm coat or spencers etc, but here in Wellies I have had to buy an all weather, windproof jacket, warm boots and am going to buy some thermal underwear and warm socks.  There are nice warm down jackets on special here from $99 to $199 at the moment.  I paid $199 (marked down from $300) for my all purpose jacket from Kathmandu. 

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 12:09:36 am »
(marked down from $300) for my all purpose jacket from Kathmandu.

Oops - that should read marked down from $400.

Offline maanhaarleeu

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 01:16:45 am »
Went through the whole winter last year with just work clothes and a fleece jacket and sometimes a beanie here in Auckland.

Bought a Gore-Tex jacket before I came and its just gathering dust but maybe it will get used this winter on a climbing trip.

At night we use thermal underwear with a gas heater on the lowest setting, thats all.
Auckland NZ, Howick

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 01:40:49 am »
Oops - that should read marked down from $400.
Like us, I am sure you guys are regular "pedestrians" of Otaki's main street??  ;)  Picked up the cutest little full-on goretex rain jacket for my boy at the Pumpkin Patch Outlet for $20!!  Some days it pays to ride out there...

Yip, we sure do go there - going there this weekend in fact in search of a jacket for DD and jeans are marked down from $40 to $17.  I miss Woolies kids stuff   :'( but am starting to know the cute kids outlets, but only when the sales are on otherwise too pricey.

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:05:38 am »
We are in Auckland.

I bought a stunning K-way jacket in SA for the winters here and in 3 years it's not been used once.
Doesn't get cold enough for it in Auckland.

We have never owned a heater - not in Cape Town or in Auckland.  Not cold enough.  Maybe if we were further south it would be a different story.

So I wouldn't worry too much about buying thermal stuff in SA.  NZ clothing is far better suited to their temperatures here.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:05:38 am »

Offline ROY

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 10:41:13 am »
Hi all

Will be in Welly soon and have been shopping around for good jackets but they are way expensive here. The good quality winter jackets can only be bought at one or two retailers here and it's expensive other than that the other retailers are just selling over priced 'cheaply made,ok quality' products. With me arriving in the heart of winter I'd have to get thermal underwear for the family and 'cheaper' jackets until we can scout for bargains in Welly.
 My guess is to buy sensibly when in NZ for the weather in the region you're living in.  I learned my lesson when I went to NE China arriving with inadequate clothing for the icy cold weather then went and found a lot of great deals on winter gear in the city I lived in.

Offline aniena

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 10:22:50 pm »
Hi Agree with Rockhopper- if you can buy it here it will be the best idea- but if not- buy woolies thermals- we have better stuff here, but I'm still wearing mine- need to save for the Katmando stuff.

Jackets- you need different one's for different time of the year.
1) Drimac- for when it is raining but still warm weather
2) Woolcoat- for more formal situations- for ladies anyway
3) Jacket like rockhopper describe- waterproof on the outside - fleece on the inside- basically 2 jackets in one. For everyday. The jacket needs to have a hoody.

Then you need gloves- wool ones are nice but can get wet- more "waterproof" ones. Scarfs will do. Wool socks or katmando's ski socks!!! Beanies- good to have one. 
Kids and woman wear boots.

I have to say it's better to buy it here- you can even buy it on trade me - if you know what you want- cheaper and most of the time a bargain! My daughter just bought a katmando jacket on trade me - excellent condition!

Regards

aniena     

Offline magusta

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 10:50:57 pm »
take a look at driz-a-bone...i want !

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 11:25:52 pm »
take a look at driz-a-bone...i want !

Me too.................... :whistle:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 03:35:27 am »
Hi Roy,

If you're in Jhb, try Drifters in Sandton City.  They have exactly what you would need and a very good range at that (from First Ascent, North Face and Cape Storm - all excellent quality items).  We bought our stuff there before we came here and its been more than sufficient.  And we found it cheaper than buying a similar qualify item here.

They also have a very good range of thermals - which i find much better quality than the ones I bought here at Kathmandu.  There's some made with bamboo fibre which is excellent quality - they wick moisture and keep you well warm and toast all without feeling bulky.

Cheers!
Susan

07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 03:35:27 am »

Offline magusta

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 04:44:15 am »
take a look here - some cool things and some nice jackets/boots - cheap too.

http://www.kiwidisposals.co.nz/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:46:22 am by magusta »

Offline ROY

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 07:06:15 pm »
Thanks for the advice

I'm in Cape Town and have been shopping around for great quality and value for money. Having said that ,the outdoor stores tend to have a niche market product which attracts people who are going to other parts of the world where the climate is different to ours,thus the price of most products can bite a bit but I'll need to make a start anyway. I'll buy the essentials here and get the balance in Welly.

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 01:13:28 am »
Hi Roy,

If my information is correct, they were going to/have opened a Drifters in Cape Town as well.  Give them a call to find out: (011) 783-9200.

Cheers
Susan
07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!